11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

Old 08-27-2009, 07:09 PM

Vegeta has much to be proud of
Problems with the New GamerDNA Update
Notice: I'm not bashing their efforts, I'm just offering what I think is constructive criticism, I do like what the developers have done overall with the site.

I notice a smoother site, and added convenience when adding game posts and events now, with a pop-up box that lets you choose from the list of games you already added to your gamerdna (because somethings you still can't select from the database when typing in the name, until they like validate it themselves).

However, I find this abundance of white, very hard on the eyes. Like the top of the page I see the GamerDNA green swirl, then a little gray shade under it, but then there is nothing but a solid white background which contrast very sharply and isn't very pleasing to the eyes.

Like for instance this forum, by the time you get to the middle of the forums it appears there is this nice black and gray forum thread, that has been embedded in a completely white page. On big monitors that makes you squint. Here are a few things wrong with each of these pages in my opinion.

http://www.gamerdna.com/answer/

This page was almost completely left alone, however now the text on the left that is the questions you can click on to answer, is completely white and it blends in with the white pane, so you can't even see the words unless you highlight the pane.

http://www.gamerdna.com/news/

The left pane is white as is the text where you can view the category of news you want to read, you have to squint to see the words, or highlight the entire left pane to see the words/hyperlinks.

The Forum

I honestly believe the forum was fine the way it was before, it really looks like they kept the forum thread the same color palette and just embedded it into a mostly white page, which really hurts the eyes and isn't as aesthetically pleasing when browsing the forums.

Our Profile Pages

The profile page isn't terrible (but the abundance of white still could be changed), but the main thing that I wish was unchanged was header of our profile pages. Where it appeared much like our signatures in forums do. I wish it still had a nice black background and included our fame beside our username/picture. I mean moving our fame to the middle-right of our profile page and placing it in bigger numbers, doesn't seem quite right. You should be able to see pretty much a summary of a user in one location instead of having to scroll about a page to see everything. Honestly the larger numbers for the fame, look less refined and make me think it is a "hits" or "views" counter instead of an indicator of our contribution to GamerDNA, which should be one of the first things you see on the profile page at the top, because it also indicates (more or less) how new a user is.

This is just my two cents. Naturally people complain more about things they don't like, then compliment the things that they do like. The site runs smoother, is more interactive, allows for more information about each individual, etc. But I can't help but notice some things were changed that I believe the developers got right the first time.

Is anyone else seeing this much white? I am using the latest version of FireFox.

Anyone else notice anything, or have any constructive criticism or comments they want to add?
Old 08-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Enthusiast

BofusTeefus is an unknown quantity at this point
Everything in the OP, plus two.

1- When I "ignore" a game in my Gamerflow, it still shows up on my alerts.
2- I mentioned in a different thread that the alerts sort of appear on top of one another when expanded.

Still an awesome site.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:46 AM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Cool
Thanks for the feedback Vegeta, we appreciate it!

Here are my responses:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
However, I find this abundance of white, very hard on the eyes. Like the top of the page I see the GamerDNA green swirl, then a little gray shade under it, but then there is nothing but a solid white background which contrast very sharply and isn't very pleasing to the eyes.
(Copypasta'd from a response in another thread)

Regarding the amount of white on the site and the total design, all I can say is that we respectfully disagree. The new design has no more amounts of white than sites like Google or even gaming sites like Kotaku.com, and everything is presented in a much easier to read and more organized fashion than the old GamerDNA design.

We decided to go to a white design because we wanted the site to be easy to read. GamerDNA is very focused on helping conversation happen, and it can be hard on people to read white text on a black background. With the new design, we have black text on a white background - very much like sites like Google read, how Books or Text on paper is read, etc.

Quote:
http://www.gamerdna.com/answer/

This page was almost completely left alone, however now the text on the left that is the questions you can click on to answer, is completely white and it blends in with the white pane, so you can't even see the words unless you highlight the pane.
This page is actually not supposed to be up. It is being removed in an upcoming hotfix. We no longer use that system on the site.

Quote:
http://www.gamerdna.com/news/

The left pane is white as is the text where you can view the category of news you want to read, you have to squint to see the words, or highlight the entire left pane to see the words/hyperlinks.
This page is also a legacy from the old site, before the site was gamerDNA even. It's a bug that we will fix soon(tm).

Quote:
The Forum

I honestly believe the forum was fine the way it was before, it really looks like they kept the forum thread the same color palette and just embedded it into a mostly white page, which really hurts the eyes and isn't as aesthetically pleasing when browsing the forums.
We're working on fixing the forums to be a better them, to fit into more of the overall site.

Overall, though, the forums aren't the focus of the site. While some folks choose to use them and we keep them around because of this, we'd rather people use the new systems on their profiles, their Member Home, game pages, etc to have conversations with each other.

Quote:
Our Profile Pages

The profile page isn't terrible (but the abundance of white still could be changed), but the main thing that I wish was unchanged was header of our profile pages. Where it appeared much like our signatures in forums do. I wish it still had a nice black background and included our fame beside our username/picture. I mean moving our fame to the middle-right of our profile page and placing it in bigger numbers, doesn't seem quite right. You should be able to see pretty much a summary of a user in one location instead of having to scroll about a page to see everything. Honestly the larger numbers for the fame, look less refined and make me think it is a "hits" or "views" counter instead of an indicator of our contribution to GamerDNA, which should be one of the first things you see on the profile page at the top, because it also indicates (more or less) how new a user is.
With the new profile you easily see the most recent content they've created or the games they've played. By just clicking on a tab you can go see their complete bio, all the games they've played, and the screenshots they've uploaded. All of that alone, on each page, is a TON of information, and trying to compile info from 4 pages down to one wouldn't be possible. That's why our old pages didn't look very good, and were confusing to members. You didn't know where to look..information overload.

We appreciate the feedback, and we'll continue to refine things on the site. Some things pointed out by you, or BofusTeefus, are bugs that came in with this update and they are being fixed ASAP. This is the biggest update we've ever done to gamerDNA, so there were bound to be some bugs introduced Luckily we can fix them fairly quickly

Please keep the feedback and thoughts coming, we appreciate it!
Old 08-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
Google puts blue text on their white. Twitter does the same for at least part of the text. You have gray on gray on gray. It lacks contrast. I can barely see anything.

Also, no Twitter updates seem to be going out since the new version was launched.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
Last edited by LordXenophon : 08-28-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:57 PM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
We'll be taking a look at the text contrast in the coming weeks, we appreciate the feedback!

Twitter updates have been going out since launch. They started going out yesterday. If you're havent, please let us know through the feedback page. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:24 PM

Fenrir085 has set foot on a distinguished road
overall, I kinda like the new look but I would like to see the achievement system again.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
It's pulling updates from X-Fire, but still no hourly updates to Twitter. It's missed several of mine by now.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:18 AM

Gorgum3l is a cornerstone of the community Gorgum3l is a cornerstone of the community Gorgum3l is a cornerstone of the community
I tried using the feedback thing to mention the contrast problem, but I just keep getting 500 errors.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:44 AM
GDNA Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgum3l View Post
I tried using the feedback thing to mention the contrast problem, but I just keep getting 500 errors.
The site may have been having problems on Friday/Saturday, so if you're able, please re-submit any feedback you may have. If there are pages that are particularly hard to read, please let us know!
Old 08-31-2009, 05:47 AM
Savant

I did finally get an hourly Twitter update to go out today.