11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

Old 07-27-2009, 07:16 PM

dagamdagee is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to dagamdagee Send a message via MSN to dagamdagee
What genre of games do you consider the hardest to play or master?
For me it has to be Real-Time Strategy games. Games like StarCraft and C&C are so much fun to play, and the possibilities for outcomes are virtually limitless. So what are your thoughts?

Just like the Ghosts.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
In theory? An MMO with the industrial (Crafting, economy, etc) and political depth of EVE, a Counterstrike/Battlefield/Space combat game X hybrid for the combat system and some sort of strategy based territory and structure ownership system.

In reality, still MMOs, simply because of EVE Online. I know I probably seem like a bit of an EVE fanboy recently, but it truly does have depth that no other game offers.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:56 PM

Razor-I is community member of note
I agree with real time strategy being the most difficult. Unless micro-managing just comes naturally to you, RTSs can be quite difficult to master.

After that I'd say fighting games. Learning all the combos, knowing when to use them and when not to.

FPSs can be near impossible to master unless you just have a lot of natural talent at them. It's a genre that pretty much depends on how much natural timing you have.

While I'm sure SOME MMOs could be considered far more difficult to master than any genre, I think most are annoyingly easy.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:08 PM

SwordFish95 is a jewel in the community
I think traditional RTS's with resource gathering and base building are hardest to master, but are so much fun. Even if you are good at one RTS, there's always someone out there to undermine your go-to strategy. More action-strategy RTS's like World in Conflict let you focus solely on your units. I'm currently enjoying the gameplay that Dawn of War II and Company of Heroes have to offer. Also, I'm looking forward to the more stream-lined Supreme Commander 2, as the first one was a bit tedious.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor-I View Post
While I'm sure SOME MMOs could be considered far more difficult to master than any genre, I think most are annoyingly easy.
The same can be said for any genre though, SOME RTSes are difficult, but most are incredibly simplistic with a very simple pattern of building certain units and buildings that you pretty much never have to deviate from.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Ikaruga and it's ilk. Schmup's (or whatever the kids are calling it these days) have my number, but I still play them, probably because I hate myself.

@Sensational: I did get onto EVE for a bit, but it just didn't click. I still have a few days on my trial account, so my next day off I'll give it another go.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:58 AM
Enthusiast

KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community KrazyKain is a paragon of the community
i'd have to agree with you about the RTS.. but thats just cos i suck at them
Old 07-28-2009, 05:01 AM
Savant, but with a star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
@Sensational: I did get onto EVE for a bit, but it just didn't click. I still have a few days on my trial account, so my next day off I'll give it another go.
Mm, not surprising. It's a very difficult game to get into, and not many do. I don't really enjoy the game all that much (Because I'm more of a solo player and because it's so damn hard to convince my RL friends to play it), but it's sadly the best, and only, thing out there.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:36 AM

redknightalex is a jewel in the community redknightalex is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to redknightalex
I always have the hardest time playing RTS games. I need time to formulate a strategy and when the clock is constantly ticking in my ear just as the enemy comes knocking at the door...can anyone say panic attack?

Can't really comment on how hard MMOs are...I've never played one!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Enthusiast

CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community
I can't play any RTS. I'm a little too impaticent to deal with buiding up an army while getting resources and worrying about the other army.