11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 07-17-2009, 05:44 AM

SashaChn is community member of note
Unhappy Tv problem
I have this dell lcd tv that I bought a few years ago. I was in the process of moving and I did not want to put it into storage so I let my brother keep it for a while. When I got it back it wasn't working properly. At first it was taking longer than usual to come on and now when you press the power button it clicks as if it's about to come on but nothing shows up on the screen and there is no sound. After it clicks you can hear the tv running and just like any power plug if it gets pulled out of the socket it sparks a little if the electronic that it is connected to is on. Can anyone tell me what might have happend to it? Can it be fixed at all or should I give up on it?
Old 07-17-2009, 06:20 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
I'd contact Dell to see if it's still under warranty. Their site will probably also have FAQs and troubleshooting tips as well as recommended repair shops.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:26 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
Chances are it can be fixed, but the problem might be the picture tube. It's often cheaper to replace the TV than to replace the picture tube. On the other hand, many other problems which could be responsible are much more easily fixed. It could be as simple as a loose connection to the picture tube.

However, since we all have to switch to digital anyway, you may as well consider this an excuse to buy a brand new digital TV.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk aquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordXenophon View Post
Chances are it can be fixed, but the problem might be the picture tube. It's often cheaper to replace the TV than to replace the picture tube. On the other hand, many other problems which could be responsible are much more easily fixed. It could be as simple as a loose connection to the picture tube.

However, since we all have to switch to digital anyway, you may as well consider this an excuse to buy a brand new digital TV.
LCD's don't have a tube. That'd be a CRT (cathode ray tube).

Although with the switch over to digital broadcasting, upgrading now would be a good choice. You can get a decent HDTV for a good price if you do a bit of legwork.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
I didn't spot the LCD part. LCD TV's are a lot harder to repair. You may as well just get a new one. However, as far as I know, all LCD TV's are digital, so you wouldn't need to upgrade. Another of the same model should do fine.

The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk aquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.