11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 06-05-2009, 07:14 PM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Firefox connectivity
I'm having a weird connectivity issue with FireFox. When I go to a secure website (https://) I get the error below. When I go to the same site in IE6, it let's me connect. This only started happening in the past couple of weeks. I can't figure it out. I've googled the problem, and found about twenty different fixes, and none of them worked. Does anyone else know what could cause this?

Note: This is a work computer. Are there any programs that could have been installed that would cause FireFox to lose its ability to connect to secure websites, but still allow access to regular websites, and have no effect on IE?

Also, I just tried Google Chrome, and it won't connect to secure websites, either. I'm thoroughly confused.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Connection Interrupted.jpg (13.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast

Hexblood is a jewel in the community Hexblood is a jewel in the community
I am not sure on this issue specifically. Based off the error message alone I would say it is a network or connectivity issue, possibly a security system is blocking. However, since GC is having same problem and IE is not I do not know.

I accessed a secure site yesterday with Firefox with no issues.

If you are running Vista it could be a Vista problem. Like something blocking the others since they are not Microsoft. It would be a crappy thing to do but would not surprise me if they did something like that in an update. Intentional or not.

Best of luck to ya, hope ya get it figured out.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:59 PM

SINZAR is community member of note
Have you tried reinstalling firefox? It sounds like there's a problem with the way it's negotiating the handling of the security certificates.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 AM

Sharpshin has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Sharpshin Send a message via Yahoo to Sharpshin
I was having a similar problem when trying to access a website I maintained. The problem is that the error message is fairly generic and could be caused by several things. In my case the issues lied with the website's host, I switched to a new host and voila the problem went away. Mine was pretty much exactly as you described, the problem only occurred in Firefox, Internet Explorer wasn't phased.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
It's possible to have different security settings in Firefox and IE at the same time. Both ignore server security sertificates and check only site sertificates by default. If your computer is forcing Firefox to check server sertificates, that might cause this error, and IE might still be set to ignore the bad certificate.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk aquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
This only happens to me when my Internet has some weird fluctations in its connection to my comptuer

Old 07-31-2009, 05:18 AM

JordashTalon has much to be proud of
Can you get to any other website?
Old 08-01-2009, 07:08 PM

Nikolete is community member of note
I used to LOVEEEEEE firefox, now all it does is give me issues. I think it has to do with all the plug-ins I have on it, that aren't updated anymore.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:38 PM

JordashTalon has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolete View Post
I used to LOVEEEEEE firefox, now all it does is give me issues. I think it has to do with all the plug-ins I have on it, that aren't updated anymore.

If you think it's plugin problem, you should download an older version of Firefox and install it. Download from here: http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php

I'm loving Firefox 3.5 Any bugs I had with older Firefox is gone now.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:31 PM

Nikolete is community member of note
I have done that already, however the plug-ins from when I used to mod a web browser based game won't go away.

GreaseMonkey is a thorn in my side.