11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

Old 06-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
I never even realized renting games was possible until maybe a few years ago.
If I buy a game, I keep it.
If I see an ancient game I want sold for a couple of Euros, I'll grab it.
The problem left is trying to make it run on modern hardware, or getting old hardware to run again.

Crys, you can get Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Duke Nukem 3D as XBLA games now.
I haven't played in a while, but on PC I used GZDoom and JFDuke3D, though no clue about a decent Wolfenstein 3D Windows port.

Spy Hunter, Lode Runner, and Alley Cat... I played all of those, and they are indeed memorable.
Who needs fancy graphics!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:49 PM

redknightalex is a jewel in the community redknightalex is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to redknightalex
I rarely get rid of games. They only one I can recall ever selling/disposing of was Empire Earth. I hated that game with a fiery passion.

I still have my favorites installed: Age of Empires, Lords of the Realm II, and Civilization II.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
X-Com: UFO Defense. I need to find that game. I played it for hours back in high school. Had at least 3 different bases around the globe, and could respond to any attack inside a minute. Heavy Plasma rifles, explosives, those alien bastards never stood a chance. I also loved that you could reverse engineer your enemy's weapons once you captured a few alive.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:16 AM

mokey91 has much to be proud of
Arcanum. That was a kickass RPG, mostly because I love steampunk!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:32 PM

cap1 is community member of note
How about some Commander Keen? The pogo stick was awesome. Also had really crazy laid out levels for a platformer at the time.

Kingpin is another crazy game that I don't usually see a lot of people talking about.

Can't forget about Wolfenstein 3D, Blake Stone, Doom, Heretic, Quake and Duke Nukem 3D.

Another game I played a lot was Speed Racer on a 5 1/2 inch floppy. Oil slicks, saw blades and jumping over cars. Classic.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:37 PM

Sharpshin has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Sharpshin Send a message via Yahoo to Sharpshin
MDK and Deadlock II. I remember thinking how crazy the graphics of MDK were and how it was hard to imagine them ever getting better.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:06 AM
Enthusiast

dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community dowekeller is a cornerstone of the community
I often play old games, just recently visited 3d realms and downloaded and played Bio-Menace, Duke Nukem and Duke Nukem II. There still as much fun as ever. I find that for the Mac, DOSBox <http://www.dosbox.com> runs most old DOS games quite well.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Enthusiast

absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community absolutlush is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to absolutlush
the only old game i got rid of was the Chex Cereal shooter. I still have everything and after college went on a buying spree to make sure i legally had every game i played and loved. I still have some of the old RPGs like icewind dale and rts's like AoE. Don't forget those of you complaining about compatibility that Vista and XP have compatibility mode so you can play as if on a win98 machine. : )

(sorry for dissapearing forever! I found the evils of Eve-Online)
Old 08-07-2009, 01:36 AM

Delixe has much to be proud of
@Mykalgaiden all the X-Com games are available on Steam, cheap too.

Retro gaming is having a bit of a renaissance at the moment with lots of classic games like Loom and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade released on Steam. There is also http://www.gog.com that offers older titles updated to run on Vista including games like Duke Nukem 3D and MDK.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:36 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
I'd love to. Where's that Steam OSX client?

And please don't mention the words "Boot" or "Camp" or any combination thereof.