11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

Old 12-19-2008, 03:07 AM

BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community
Zombie Infection Experiment
I don't really know why I started doing this. I was motivated to make this small game in Game Maker, but instead of expanding the simple concept into a proper game, I decided to make an experiment out of it.

The premise of the game is simple: There is a room in which there are some people (pink circles). These people start out going in a random direction, at a certain speed. There is a randomized chance that they will change direction. After a countdown, one of them becomes a zombie, and the timer starts. A zombie acts the same way as people, but if he touches a person, they become a zombie. The game (or test) ends when everyone has become a zombie.

It didn't seem like much of a descriptive explanation, did it? That's because the underlined words are my five variables. These change from test to test.

I wanted to see which variable affected the speed of infection the most. So I devised six experiments to test each one. They are as follows:

Experiment 1: The Control
  • 500px X 500px room
  • 25 people
  • 5 second countdown
  • 1/25 chance of changing direction
  • 3 speed
Experiment 2: Room Size
  • 250px X 250px room
  • 25 people
  • 5 second countdown
  • 3 speed
Experiment 3: Population
  • 500px X 500px room
  • 50 people
  • 5 second countdown
  • 3 speed
Experiment 4: Countdown
  • 500px X 500px room
  • 25 people
  • 2.5 second countdown
  • 3 speed
Experiment 5: Direction Change
  • 500px X 500px room
  • 25 people
  • 5 second countdown
  • 1/12 chance of changing direction
  • 3 speed
Experiment 6: Speed
  • 500px X 500px room
  • 25 people
  • 5 second countdown
  • 6 speed
I ran six trials for each experiment, recording the timer's value when the game ended on an Excel spreadsheet. I will now show you my results, and provide a download for the .zip of all the files.

Download all files.

As you can see, making the room smaller cut the infection time by nearly three fourths. Increasing population and speed seem to have had the same effect, halving the original control time, but making the countdown shorter and increasing the likelihood of a direction change seem to have had almost no effect at all. They are only barely higher than the control!

My conclusion: Cutting down the room size is the most effective means of increasing infection time. Increasing population and speed also make it easier on the zombies. But decreasing the countdown time and increasing the direction change probability don't make much of a difference at all.

And now you're probably wondering why I bothered to tell you all this. The truth is, I dunno. I felt like doing this experiment, and I felt like sharing my results, however useless they may be to you.
"The power of 7 is a major influence in the world. From ancient writings, to days of the week, to number of Harry Potter books, to alchemical thingies, to "Shichinin no samurai" - seven has indeed proven itself as a lucky number."
-ThinkGeek
Old 12-19-2008, 07:27 AM

doxxan is community member of note
This made me laugh. No really. Not because of how absurd this experiment is, but being a professional and hobbyist programmer myself, I can perfectly understand the reasoning behind it. Good job! ^^

"What is darkness? It doesn't exist where there's light, and without light, it's nothing..."
Old 12-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaboonOfTheYard View Post
My conclusion: Cutting down the room size is the most effective means of increasing infection time. Increasing population and speed also make it easier on the zombies. But decreasing the countdown time and increasing the direction change probability don't make much of a difference at all.
Maybe you could get a job at Umbrella?
Old 12-19-2008, 02:34 PM

Shayesh has much to be proud of
LOL umbrella, this is crazy awesome.

How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.
-Adolf hilter

Old 12-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
Great post, this is borderline epic post IMO....good logic, would be nice to see another test that put additional meaning but great freaking tests here

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Old 12-19-2008, 07:32 PM
gamerDNA Staff

Imran is a cornerstone of the community Imran is a cornerstone of the community
Wow - this is pretty interesting, definitely more than what I was expecting.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:05 AM

BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community
Hahah Umbrella. Too bad I've never played Resident Evil. Maybe I'd get the joke better if I did. I only know what you're talking about because I looked it up on Wikipedia :P.

But thanks for all the feedback! Here I thought I'd be getting lots of "What's the point of this, you're nuts" posts.

I thought of devising some more tests for more absurd things, like maybe putting some obstacles in the middle of the room, or making a rudimentary AI for the people, or something. Any ideas?
"The power of 7 is a major influence in the world. From ancient writings, to days of the week, to number of Harry Potter books, to alchemical thingies, to "Shichinin no samurai" - seven has indeed proven itself as a lucky number."
-ThinkGeek
Old 12-20-2008, 12:22 PM

doxxan is community member of note
Making people shy away from the zombies? Have zombies move slower than people?

Of course, if the zombies are slower and people are avoiding them, a single zombie will probably never catch up.

Maybe have random outgrowths of infection?
Make the people try to find their way to an exit/saferoom?

How about adding weapons? If a person passes over a weapon, he gets a bonus to a roll on wether he gets infected or not when getting touched by a zombie?

"What is darkness? It doesn't exist where there's light, and without light, it's nothing..."
Old 12-20-2008, 06:30 PM

I don't think that I'd introduce all of them at once, I'd test each new feature individually, like the original variables. So people running away and slower zombies could both work.

EDIT: Especially people running away, I think. If you look at my times for the Countdown experiment, you'll see that two of them are 1112 and 1119. These are considerably higher than the other times, but I don't think the experiment itself influenced this. I think it was just chance that the two abnormally large times were on that one experiment. The cause for this, if I remember correctly, was that those last two people or so were very elusive. Since people and zombies bounce around randomly, and they aren't too big, and the room is quite large, it's fairly likely that a person could slip through a crowd of zombies without being touched. This is what happened for both of those times. So I think some sort of AI, whether it be zombies chasing people, people running from zombies, or both, would even out the scores a little. I need to introduce this.

I also like the idea of weapons giving the people an advantage. But it wouldn't have too much of an effect, as the game runs at 30 steps per second, and if it were to roll for infection success or failure each step, it has 30 chances per second that it's touching the person. I don't think that that system would work too well. But maybe having them shoot at the zombies could work, although having zombies die may screw with the system. What if there were antidotes?

Hey, yeah! There could be antidote cartridges lying around, and if a person gets one, they turn blue or something to show that they're armed with the antidote. Then, when a person and zombie collide, there is some kind of roll or something to see if the zombie infects the person or if the person heals the zombie. Then the people could fight back, though of course it would be useless. I'd make it so there's something like a 1/3 chance of the antidote working, or maybe a 1/4. It would be interesting, wouldn't it?

It might also be interesting to see if I could program an AI for the people to hide behind cover, away from the zombies. It would make for some interesting situations, especially if the people get stuck in a huddle in a corner, and zombies are coming from both sides, and the people are trying to hide... a little morbid, but definitely interesting.

I will have to work on this tomorrow.
-ThinkGeek
Last edited by BaboonOfTheYard : 12-22-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:26 AM

cluskevird has much to be proud of
I see doxxan's thought process was similar to how I was thinking about this. The only difference was if two uninfected touch each other, then there is some delay before they can move again which would therefore make them sitting ducks for a moment. >shrug< just a thought