11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 12-21-2006, 05:17 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
It started with a new mouse...
When I installed a new Logitech gaming mouse, I keep getting messages in the lower right corner say "There was a problem with my new hardward install..." If I run the install again, it just installs again and I still get message. When I open up System>Hardware>Mouse there is a device for every time I install. I deleted all but one. The mouse works, I can use the config tools, albiet its a bit flakey, its very slow in WoW. But I don't play WoW that much so I can deal. I ignore the messages

Now I installed another USB device and it it happening for that too. In the case of that device tho, I can't open the config tools. It says. "Component 'mscomctl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or inavalid"

What do I do?
Old 12-21-2006, 05:27 PM
The Pwn Ranger

Charbroil has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Charbroil Send a message via MSN to Charbroil Send a message via Yahoo to Charbroil
Which model Logitech mouse is it... there may be some threads about known issues or fixes on the web somewhere... you could need to run updates possibly... don't know much about the makeup of your PC to be sure.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:30 PM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
What I've done in the past when I get a missing file error, I search the file name on Google. Usually you can find somewhere to download that file, and it will tell which directory it goes in. I usually get those errors from corrupted files, not ones that are actually missing. So if you don't see online which directory it goes in, you can just do a search on your computer to find that file and then replace it with a new one. I'm sure I don't need to warn you, but be careful what you download.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
This may not have been the problem, but people should try to avoid plugging their USB mice into a USB Hub. Either plug it directly into the motherboard's built-in ports or get a PCI card with USB ports. Also, when installing new hardware, make sure you uninstall the old drivers first.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:05 PM

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
I have never been able to get the messages to stop. I replaced the files as suggested, still its a problem. I added another USB device and that won't install at all. I am kinda worried that I need to rebuild the operating system.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:25 PM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
I have never been able to get the messages to stop. I replaced the files as suggested, still its a problem. I added another USB device and that won't install at all. I am kinda worried that I need to rebuild the operating system.
Are you using a 64-bit OS? Did you try to re-register the missing VB file? http://www.majorgeeks.com/faqshow.php?id=8 . If you replaced the files, make sure you're using the proper version. There's alot of old and outdated ocx files floating around the internet.

For the mouse, I would stick only an old PS2 mouse into your computer and then uninstall all hidden mice that aren't suppose to be there. Also uninstall the logitech software. To show the hidden devices you'll have to follow http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips811.html - remember that this all has to be done from one command window to show the hidden devices. Reboot and then reinstall the logitech software crap if you think you really need it.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:45 PM

Xinnro is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Xinnro Send a message via MSN to Xinnro
Just use a previous restore point, for some reason that tends to fix a lot of problems like that with no real explanation as to why.

I'm certain you already know how to do that though.

I had a similar problem, doing that fixed it right away.

Xinnro

Leader of the Tide of Darkness Clan

Killer 100% Achiever 40% Explorer 33% Socializer 26%

Old 01-01-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeZzy View Post
Are you using a 64-bit OS? Did you try to re-register the missing VB file? http://www.majorgeeks.com/faqshow.php?id=8 . If you replaced the files, make sure you're using the proper version. There's alot of old and outdated ocx files floating around the internet.

For the mouse, I would stick only an old PS2 mouse into your computer and then uninstall all hidden mice that aren't suppose to be there. Also uninstall the logitech software. To show the hidden devices you'll have to follow http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips811.html - remember that this all has to be done from one command window to show the hidden devices. Reboot and then reinstall the logitech software crap if you think you really need it.
Alright. I shall give this a try on Friday after this week's competition. BTW this is a 32-bit OS. The files I replaced came off my other 64-bit machine, however it was dated July 2004 or something so I thought it was likely good for 32-bit. In any case the problem did not get worse or better.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:39 AM
Enthusiast

My MSCOMCTL.OCX file is version 6.1.95.45 - WinXP Pro SP2.

There's version 6.1.97.86 at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
Old 01-02-2007, 08:52 AM

Chuglur has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Chuglur
http://www.ascentive.com/support/new...e=MSCOMCTL.OCX

Then try bios update if this is bust. Older motherboards and usb 2.0=wierd and bad symptoms.