11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 06-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
Ddr3 Ram
So looking into upgrading my mobo and saw that DDR3 is out now, anyone have any information about it? how superior it is or eeeee not so much?

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Old 06-13-2007, 12:20 AM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
IMO, I'd stick with DDR2, and a compatible motherboard. I looked around real quick, there aren't too many options for DDR3 and it seems real expensive. I didn't see very many motherboard options either. If you want DDR3 I'd suggest waiting a little bit until there are more options at lower prices. Plus, new technology isn't usually better than current tech, it just has more potential. If it were me, I'd wait for it to improve or I'd use the stuff that's been developed a little bit. I haven't even upgraded to DDR2 yet and haven't had any problems running games on high (except Vanguard )
Old 06-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
ya I have 2 gigs of DDR ram a P4 3.0 ghz and ATI x800 xt pe, vanguard was a struggle, I guess I will just wait and hope I can play the games coming out soon

Old 06-13-2007, 02:06 AM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
If you upgrade and get 2gigs of DDR2 (maybe even 4 if it's in your budget, but I don't think 4gigs is necessary just yet, imo), a PCI Express video card with Directx 10 and plenty of video ram, and a new processor (with multiple cores), that would be very sufficient for playing upcoming games.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Founding Member

sounds like a brand new system

That was the plan, and since I have an old 478 mobo with no PCI-e slots I need a new mobo,

my case is still fine but with only 2 80mm fans (one side, and one back) it could use an upgrade to three 120mm fans.

My PS is an antec 480 and has overheated on me twice now in the summer if I don't know if it was the case's fault or the PS's. Its lasted about a year so it might be time for a new one.

So I pretty much need a new system

Old 06-14-2007, 12:54 AM
I hate hippies

For power supplies, PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, and Fortron Source/FSP are all good brands. PC P&C are the most expensive (and imo, the best), and Forton is the cheapest, but they're all high quality and reliable. I've had experience with those three and haven't been disappointed. I don't know what kind of power newer hardware soaks up, but if it were me I'd buy one with as much wattage/amperage as I could afford for room to grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
sounds like a brand new system
I figured you were doing that anyways since you were looking at DDR3. Good luck with the new system build
Last edited by EvilAerosolCan : 06-14-2007 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:14 AM

Drifta has much to be proud of
DDR2 Ram prices are pretty cheap now
DDR2 and DDR3 are just model numbers it doesn't necessarily mean that DDR3 IS faster than DDR2.
I would recommend getting DDR2 ram since they are on a price drop
Old 06-29-2007, 06:47 PM

dwarfzilla has much to be proud of
DDR3 is not just a name, its a new technology. they are like 3x the price of DDR2 now for the same speed, tho. i think the lowest speed of ddr3 is 1066 while 1066 is the highest speed for ddr2. if ur swimming in cash, then get a ddr3 mobo because it will last a while.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Enthusiast

Yeti is a jewel in the community Yeti is a jewel in the community
ddr3 isnt even faster then ddr2 it just has more BANDWIDTH to the mobo. and like dwarfzilla said ddr3 wont even be the mainstream accepted ram for a while. im guessing at least a year till its the standard for the TOP end of PC overclockers.

btw shadow if you do build a new system send me a pm with your budget or visit the pdxlan forums there are alot of hardware nerds there that are into overclocking and know the most stable/bang to buck ratio for gear.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:21 PM

Jica is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Jica Send a message via AIM to Jica Send a message via MSN to Jica
As Yeti said, DDR3 RAM just provide more bandwidth to run on. And with that, to even make use of that extra bandwidth, the rest of your system has to be equally capable (motherboard, cpu, gfx card, harddisks to some extent).

Perhaps most important though is motherboard and cpu bus speeds, since even cheap gfx cards have high internal bandwidth to swap data between the gpu and onboard ram.

The rule of thumb is that RAM frequency should match your FSB (Front Side Bus) to get the most of both.