11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 06-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Founding Member

DaMann is a cornerstone of the community DaMann is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to DaMann
Linux MCE vs Windows MCE
Here's the skinny, I have a 3ghz intel HP media center lying around which I want to transform into a full out Media center, meaning a digital DVD library and be able to watch and record all SD content.

Does anyone have any experience with either Linux or Windows MCE and recommend any programs. I always hate hearing about some must have software months after I have already been using another product, very disappointing. I don't have any fancy gadgets like x11 or home automation stuff, so that really isn't a concern. I would NOT be using Vista in this box, thanks but no thanks . I am already in deep enough w/o buying another OS (Already have windows MCE)

From what I have heard you can install Linux MCE right on top of Ubuntu (which I have on my laptop, plug and play OS). Also with a bluetooth adapter you can turn your phone into a remote control for the computer, no more searching for the remote!

Well just checking if anyone has more exp in this field than myself, you never know until you ask
Old 06-11-2007, 08:36 PM

Sierron has much to be proud of
I ran Windows MCE for quite a while, but the thing is, after a while, I didn't really like the MCE portion of it very much. So, I disabled the media center portion, and found Beyond TV, at www.snapstream.com. I ended up liking that software a lot better than what if available with MCE.. Especially version 5 I think it is, which has a icon in your task bar, and you can do all your schedualing compressing of video files, and such from the page which opens as a webpage.

There are a couple of other programs out there.. SageTv, though I think that might be Linux only, and there is MythTV. I wasn't impressed with either of these programs.

I suppose that is about all my experiences with MCE and other dvr software that I can think of.

I can't use it anymore, since we switched to AT&T U-verse from cable, since U-Verse has no analog components to it, so can't connect it to a TV card, as far as I know.. Hope this helps some though.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMann View Post
From what I have heard you can install Linux MCE right on top of Ubuntu (which I have on my laptop, plug and play OS). Also with a bluetooth adapter you can turn your phone into a remote control for the computer, no more searching for the remote!
Well, I can say that Ubuntu by itself isn't very good for media, because (since it is Debian-based) it doesn't have any of the windows codecs, etc. So, be sure that the MCE layer adds all of that stuff.

Also, check your video card's compatibility. the nVidia card's binary drivers for Linux really have problems. I was coming home to a hard-crashed X session about every other day until I switched motherboards (and to a cheaper video card).

I found that, once you get it working, Linux will tend to play back more different video formats than any one version of WMP.

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 06-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Founding Member

DaMann is a cornerstone of the community DaMann is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to DaMann
Ya, that is one of my concerns, but from what i have 'heard' the linux MCE that goes on top of ubuntu is supposed to be incredibly user friendly/easy to setup. It is supposed to be the 'total package', i might install it just to give it a test as far as ease of setup. As far the GFX i run a ATI, so hopefully that won't be a problem. I'll keep you guys updated and let you know what i decide to go with
Old 06-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMann View Post
I'll keep you guys updated and let you know what i decide to go with
Please do. I'm curious to see how this comes out. I expect a complete report, preferably as a nicely-edited video.

-- We're not the crazy ones! --