11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 06-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Founding Member

DaMann is a cornerstone of the community DaMann is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to DaMann
PC and Xbox 360 playing on the same server? Shadow run!
I haven't really looked much into this game, but I remember long ago someone wanted to play SW: Battlefront on the 360 with there PC friends, which I said obviously you couldn't do. Shadow run has built in support for the PC players to play with 360's on the same server.
What do you think this will be like?
Will console gamers realize the true dominance over the speed a mouse provides and the sheer accuracy compared to thumb sticks?
Will it even work well? and finally
Do you think this will catch on and more games will be allowed to have an option similar to this (doubtful IMO)?

Here are some qoutes from the shadow run site/magazines

“Playing the game did, though, remove concerns about the difficulties in balancing players on PC and console in the same game.” –1UP.com

“Perhaps the best news is that it was impossible to tell which players were playing on an Xbox 360, which ones were using the PC's keyboard-and-mouse setup, and which were playing with a controller on a PC. We played a bunch of games, and no one had the upper hand thanks to their chosen setup.” – Gamespy.com
So where they just playing with UBER 360 players, or crappy PC users

Old 06-09-2007, 02:38 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
For PC gamers, it's Vista exclusive meaning an OS upgrade on top of the Live subscription fee. Additionally, the gameplay is being bashed for having a paltry nine boring levels and lack of multiplayer modes. It may be faithful to the series in terms of game elements, but the blockade for PC gamers alone makes this one easy to pass over.

That being said, I think that the keyboard/mouse users will find it much easier to dominate. FPS in general is about speed and reflexes, an experience you just can't squeeze out from a controller.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 06-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
You can squeeze more out of a controller than you'd think. I enjoy the multiplayer part quite a lot. It's ridicilously fast paced for a console shooter but that's mostly due to all the teleporting and use of other magic / toys. Most (if not every?) review I've read from the bigger sites (IGN, gamespot, teamxbox etc) have more or less confirmed there's no advantage for either side. But then the reason as to WHY neither side has an advantage pisses me off:
* Ridicilous auto aiming / sticky effects, not just for the 360 (where this is fairly normal), but also for the pc... Making the whole thing feel awkward...
* Whether you hit somebody or not seems completely random... When your bullet exits your gun aiming has little to do with it, it just goes in any random direction towards the target...

Nonetheless, the multiplayer is very much enjoyable, for both PC gamers as for Xbx players, maybe even more for xbox players since there's no decent shooter coming out till halo 3. As for a small amount of levels, I think this is wildly overthrown by the amount of variety the gameplay offers. The magic, tech, weapon and race issues are so diverse the lack of levels / gameplay modes shouldnt really be a problem.

Still I'm not buying this game, to me it just seems like a 'fun' game you can just pick up and waste some time with till another game or halo 3 releases...
Old 06-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Yeah, I learned my lesson with one month wonders like SW: Battlegrounds. Fun to play at first, but easy to move on and never play again. According to Valve, just over 1% of their users actually have Vista so I wonder just how many players you're facing are on a PC.

As for aiming, I hadn't heard about the sticky targeting and on those grounds alone I'd stay away. Mechanics like that are designed with the console in mind to aid in aiming or sometimes compensate for poor camera angles. It feels less like skill and more like aimbotting IMO.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 06-10-2007, 12:40 PM

Droniac has set foot on a distinguished road
From what I've heard Shadowrun appears to be quite well-balanced between PC and Xbox360 players (in terms of playing on the same level), but only for two lame reasons:

1) PC Users have double the recoil on every weapon in the game.
2) Gamers with controllers (whether on PC or console) receive auto-aim.

So under these conditions there's no difference between PC and Console gamers... gee whizz, who would've thought!? Oh - anyone playing with mouse and keyboard and not a controller on their PC doesn't have auto aim.

Anyway this still sounds a whole lot like a bad Counter Strike clone geared towards console gamers, not anything that I'd see any PC gamer I know ever play. Sure the big sites might like it, but all of those sites are (or have become) console-based anyway... most of their reviewers don't know shit about PC games, and that includes the PC reviewers.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Voice of Reason

Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via Skype™ to Cleric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodou View Post
For PC gamers, it's Vista exclusive meaning an OS upgrade on top of the Live subscription fee. Additionally, the gameplay is being bashed for having a paltry nine boring levels and lack of multiplayer modes. It may be faithful to the series in terms of game elements, but the blockade for PC gamers alone makes this one easy to pass over.

That being said, I think that the keyboard/mouse users will find it much easier to dominate. FPS in general is about speed and reflexes, an experience you just can't squeeze out from a controller.

I agree. I would expect Shadowrun to have a lot of frustrated XBOX players because it'd be difficult to compete against a mouse and keyboard with an analog stick.

Mundane FPS games can only be fun for so long... well, the exception is Unreal Tournament ;P

Old 06-11-2007, 04:42 PM

Droniac has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric View Post
I agree. I would expect Shadowrun to have a lot of frustrated XBOX players because it'd be difficult to compete against a mouse and keyboard with an analog stick.

Mundane FPS games can only be fun for so long... well, the exception is Unreal Tournament ;P

That's why PC users are severely handicapped in Shadowrun.
See my post above
Old 06-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Voice of Reason

Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via Skype™ to Cleric
Yeah, I'm never going to get that game.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:31 AM
More Famous Than Human

TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence
I rented it today, and this thread title... I think I've seen it somewhere, maybe PC Gamer?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:55 PM

Team_Steve has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric View Post
well, the exception is Unreal Tournament ;P
That would really effect me all that much seeing as I'm in a sniping clan all you have to be able to do is to keep the cursor head level then strife and having experience from Halo i doubt it wont be all that different.

But you never know :\