11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge

Old 12-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Troll

samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
Dad (51): Old fashioned guy, doesn't want anyone to spend money on him - ESPECIALLY if the gift isn't something practical. He has a whole box of neato tech gifts we've got him that he hasn't used. My parents both live in the midwest and my dad works outside a lot (large-animal veterinarian), so warm-clothing type gifts are always an option.

My dad's the same way, he's an outdoorsman and anti-new technology. He's also a fisherman, so I found him a nifty 10 in pocketknife.. more like a 10 in one saber. He's always fiddling with little swiss army knives, little pliers for getting hooks out of fish mouths, etc.

So this thing has like a 6 inch blade, pliers, screwdriver, etc. has a nice gold-plated looking (but in reality probably gold finished) bass on the handle with his name engraved on it.

He's going to be the biggest bad-4ss at the beach next year.

.... since you're into the knife thing.

if he's into simple things, I don't know many outdoorsmen who wouldn't mind a fancy K-bar.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:16 AM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia View Post
Haven't gotten ahold of my brother yet - will be trying again this weekend.
I could use an infallible latke recipe. I make something similar with garbanzo bean flour friend in olive oil believe it or not. Sometimes you want a real latke though with apple sauce and sour cream.

P.S. The norwegian part of our family eats lefse, a kind of potato flatbread, with butter and sugar at the holidays. It can also be used as a wrap. Pretty yummy.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:56 AM

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
For Blanco's Practical Low Tech Dad
First off, if you are flying for the holidays, save yourself big headaches by shopping online and shipping your packages, wrapped if possible, to the address where you will be celebrating. Even if your luggage is lost or damaged, your gift will still be there and you won't have to screw around with security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
Here ya gift-pickers go:
Dad (51): Old fashioned guy, doesn't want anyone to spend money on him - ESPECIALLY if the gift isn't something practical. He has a whole box of neato tech gifts we've got him that he hasn't used. My parents both live in the midwest and my dad works outside a lot (large-animal veterinarian), so warm-clothing type gifts are always an option.
We'll do Dad first. You didn't mention a price, but knowing you are a student all gifts are under $60.:

Whenever I want to buy gifts for mature folks who are non-techies, my secret weapon is the Vermont Country store. They don't sell any tech more recent than 1970. What you can find there are products no longer available in mainstream supermarkets and department stores.

25 Below Boots
that weigh 2lbs less than regular boots--a big difference for people who must slog around in snowboots all day.

L.L.Bean is another tried and true online store with non-tech stuff.

I like this emergency radio
for someone who has to drive a lot in severe weather. It handcranks for power without reliance on batteries and it has an outlet for recharging cellphones.

If your Dad is from the fix-it-yourself school of thought he knows you can never have too much duct tape, too many bunji cords or two many vise grips. Amazon has just the thing:

All sizes of visegrip
for your Dad's wrenching needs.
Last edited by Roxianna : 12-17-2006 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:08 AM

Now for Blanco's Geek Brother and GF in NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco
Brother (27): Lives in the northeast. Attends a school with "Technology" in the name so that's why I usually get him. He will be done with grad-school by the end of the summer and then will be moving on to career/marriage stuff. I usually get him PC games, though his rig is getting a little antiquated for system intensive ones. Appreciates booze.
Well I am a techi and I live in the Northeast so I can verify that "jammies" are perfect. Many people prefer to sleep in the nude, but for long hours at the computer in winter, PJs are the best.

Wintersilks is a great online source:

Here are some luxurious cashmere/silk bottoms for him:

His girlfriend should like him in these. He'll be very soft and cuddly. You have to go a bit over my $60 limit to get them, but the basic idea is good and Wintersilks has lots of other choices for mens silk sleepwear and long johns.

While you're at it Wintersilks for his girlfriend too--again something both he and she will like:

Silk long johns. These are not the long johns great grandpa used to wear. They are lovely lightweight silk that can be worn under clothes or just around the house. This design has a touch of lace but should its extremely practical--silk is a great insulator. They come in black too. Pant and bottoms are sold separately, but two pieces are still under $60.
Last edited by Roxianna : 12-17-2006 at 03:54 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:54 AM

Blanco's Sister in College
Youe sister is easy to buy for. Unless someone has bought her diamond studs already, a girl can alway use more earrings. There is only one thing you need to know about buying a woman jewelry: silver or gold. So go look at your sisters photo. Then go to Sundance. Its my preferred source for presents for college girls.

If it silver, and it probably is these days, here are the pair I found the nicest and cutest for the money:

Winterberry
If its gold, then choices become quite limited at affordable prices. Here are the nicest pair I found:

After the Rain

If you'd like to browse a bit, here are a whole page of earrings in the $25 to $50 range. Earrings are also a good gift for girlfriends--use same guidelines.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:12 AM

Blanco has set foot on a distinguished road
*furiously copies and pastes*

I appreciate it a ton, Rox.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Must Be Evil

Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Potato Latkes
I just spent forever typing up this recipe and when I went to preview it - I wasn't logged in anymore!
So frustrating. I'll try again tomorrow - I'll type it up in Word first this time and just copy and paste it.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia View Post
I just spent forever typing up this recipe and when I went to preview it - I wasn't logged in anymore!
So frustrating. I'll try again tomorrow - I'll type it up in Word first this time and just copy and paste it.

Eeek should have just logged it, the message would have been saved as normal as soon as you did.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:27 AM
Founding Member

Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Oh, Roxi's ideas really ROCK.

If you ever get in a jam, though, another good "standard" jewelry gift for a woman is a simple strand bracelet. SIMPLE. No big links, no crazy adornments, just classic/classy.

Again, like Roxi said, the biggest thing will be to try to look at them/pics and see if they prefer silver or gold- or even the two together.

If you can't find out in time, always get gold. Better to err on the side of the "more expensive" choice. You can also include a gift receipt- if it was silver she likes better, she can probably return the gold and not only get the silver bracelet but some earrings, too.

I bought (no lie) 5 of bracelets similar to this this year for women I didn't know very well (my brother's girlfriend and her sister and mom, etc) but for whom I really needed to get something more personal than a tin of popcorn

Old 12-21-2006, 12:21 AM
Must Be Evil

Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Potato Latkes
Okay…. so my brother apparently wings this recipe each time he makes it. I’ll try to cobble together a coherent recipe that folks can follow.

Here are the ingredients:
Potatoes
Onions
Eggs
Matzo Meal (or flour is you can’t get Matzo Meal)
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder (optional – but my brother always uses it)
Vegetable Oil

Sour Cream
Applesauce

For every two potatoes use:
1 Quarter cup grated Onion
1 Egg
1 Tablespoon of Matzo Meal (or Flour)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

Grate potatoes and grate onions.

Press out as much liquid as possible – you can press the mixture in a colander or wrap it in cheesecloth and squeeze out the liquid.

Lightly beat the egg(s) and add to the potato mixture.

Season mixture (to taste) with salt, pepper & garlic powder.

Mix in matzo meal (or flour).

Form pancakes 3 to 4 inches in diameter and inch thick.

Heat vegetable oil until it is very hot – but not smoking.

Fry pancakes in vegetable oil inch deep:
Don’t drop the pancakes in! You could get splattered with hot oil – OUCH! Place them in with a slotted spoon or spatula.
Don’t try to cook to many pancakes at once; they shouldn’t be crowded in, as they won’t cook evenly.
Fry the pancakes on one side, then the other, until they have turned brown on both sides and are crispy around the edges.
Remove from oil with slotted spoon/spatula and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil.

Serve with sour cream and applesauce.

Enjoy!