11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Groups/Guilds/Clans > Leader Support

Old 05-30-2007, 06:31 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Guild Officer Selection and Promotion
As a guild leader how do you select and promote officers?

Do you have clearly defined jobs for officers?

Do your members vote on leadership?

Do you sometimes bestow officer status on individuals to appease them on something? ('fess up now)

Have you had any bad experiences with officers?

What are your requirements for officer candidates?

Why do I ask? Because at the request of my guild members, I am defining a path of advancement within my guild for people who want to step up.

discuss...
Old 05-30-2007, 07:58 PM

Esraymuk has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
1. As a guild leader how do you select and promote officers?

2. Do you have clearly defined jobs for officers?

3. Do your members vote on leadership?

4. Do you sometimes bestow officer status on individuals to appease them on something? ('fess up now)

5. Have you had any bad experiences with officers?

6. What are your requirements for officer candidates?

Why do I ask? Because at the request of my guild members, I am defining a path of advancement within my guild for people who want to step up.
I've labeled the questions for ease of answering.

1. I select and promote officers based on how good they'll do their assigned job. Nothing more, nothing less.

2. Yes. This is an absolute necessity. Nobody likes token officers who exist but do nothing.

3. No. However, I highly recommend taking advice from members as to who they think might do a certain job well. If i need to pick a team leader for a PvP team, I'll look out for certain qualities within a person. I'll also ask around for members to see if they've spotted these qualities within any person. But asking people to vote for officers is just basically a popularity contest; which is no use.

4. No. Theres no need to appease anyone to the extent of doing something unreasonable like that. Put efficiency before compassion at all times.

5. Yes; as in they didn't do their jobs properly - they got demoted. However, you shouldn't find you have many bad experiences with officers. If you do, then you as the leader arn't doing something right in choosing them.

6. It depends. My officers all have different jobs, and different jobs have different requirements. A recruitment officer needs to have different qualities to a PvP team leader for example.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:46 AM
Queen of Pain

QueenTajah is a jewel in the community QueenTajah is a jewel in the community
Do you have clearly defined jobs for officers? No. My officers get temporary "projects," which might include leading a pvp team, setting up a series of guild events, or building a new mall/guild function structure.

Do your members vote on leadership? No.... though I listen closely to members (especially existing officers) regarding the performance & initiative of any potentials.

Do you sometimes bestow officer status on individuals to appease them on something? ('fess up now) "Appease" isn't something Tajah is familiar with. Is this like "stabby?"

Have you had any bad experiences with officers? Only disappointment when one decides to leave game and/or guild.

What are your requirements for officer candidates? 1. Loyalty. 2. Participation in guild functions. 3. Willingness to contribute to Nuke's success (by helping newbs, rolling up a crafting toon, or just always showing up for pvp/events/raids) 4. Initiative. Not all of my officers are leaders. Some of them are... like advisors. They're experts in their fields, and I'm able to count on them to contribute both on the battlefield & in guildchat to our growth & development.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:32 AM
Famous Member

Zeli has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Zeli Send a message via MSN to Zeli
As we've evolved over the years so has our structure.

At first creation, we were all guild leaders with equal power.
We quickly changed it to a council of leaders with everyone else being an officer.
Then we began getting new recruits. So we had Initiates, Members, Core Members and Councilors.
After a long while, it became evident to us that it was inappropriate for members who have been with us for years to have the same title as those who just joined 2 weeks ago. We created a Trustee position that was an additional officer role.
Then we realized not everyone wants to be an officer. Some people are happy being guild members but we needed a way to honor their loyalty.
An officer can always opt to move down in responsibility should they need to (real life, lack of interest in the game, leader-burn-out) and they will be thanked for the time they served.
Currently this is our structure (it doesn't show up too good on black):

And here are the descriptions should you be bored enough to read them:

Core Council

The Core Council is the governing body elected to collectively lead the regiment and handle regiment issues while also having areas of expertise. It is made up of the 4 Councilors of CoT. If a regiment member of any level is accused of being in violation of a law, the case will be decided by the Core Council. The accused will be given the right to speak in their defense. Punishment, if any is indisputable once decided upon by the Council. If the accused is a Councilor, then the Trustee of that area will represent the 4th seat in the Council.

Core Councilors
Core Councilors are the leaders of the regiment. Because we are a casual group, areas of expertise have been divided, to ease the workload, but leading CoT always comes first. This is the highest level of responsibility in the regiment. Core Councilors make sure events are planned and take place. They handle any major disputes in the regiment in the manor described under “Core Council” and handle any minor disputes that occur while they’re online. For areas of expertise, Councilors are teamed up with a Trustee. Councilors must first be Core Members or Trustees before being nominated to the Councilor position. As a Core Councilor you are expected to be online regularly during the week and should try to attend regiment meetings and events unless real life responsibilities conflict.

Core Councilors can step back down to Core Member or Reliance Member status at any time and for any reason and CoT will be thankful to them for the service they provided.

Aberrant - RvR Councilor - Realm vs. Realm. This councilor keeps current with RvR server developments and determines whether a Call to Arms is issued for the guild. This councilor is head of any RvR regiment/alliance matters. Any regiment member can plan and run an RvR event/raid at any time.

PvE Councilor - Player vs. Environment. This councilor is head of any PvE regiment/alliance matters. Any regiment member can plan and run a PvE event/raid at any time.

Molley - RP Councilor - Role Play. The community on an RP server is rich. Reputations are known. Enemy assaults are insulting. There is a connection with your guild mates and country(wo)men. And there is a sense of pride for your side because of it all. People pull together, people fight and people reach out to help others. We take very seriously the actions and behavior of anyone wearing 'Circle of Trust' under their name tag. This councilor ensures that all understand the meaning of that. Any regiment member can plan and run a role play event at any time.

Zeli - RR Councilor - Regiment Relations. This councilor is a representative in the community for the regiment. An RR Councilor needs to be a part of any major server forums, take an active roll in any alliances, relay information back to the regiment, answer regiment e-mail, regularly moderate the website/forums and make recruiting decisions. Although all members of the regiment are involved in recruiting, this councilor decides whether public recruiting is active or not. All members are encouraged to be a part of the community.

Trustees
A Trustee is an elected officer of the regiment who assists in the decision making and running of the regiment but their main responsibility is their area or expertise and collaborating efforts with the Councilor of that area. Because the responsibilities of leading the guild can sometimes be demanding, Councilors may not always have their areas of specialization as their focus. It is the Trustee that makes sure the duties in their specified area are still accomplished and that the regiment continues in these areas. Trustees must first be either a Core Member or Reliance Member before being nominated for the Trustee position. All Trustees can invite and vote on initiates, use officer chat and have Core Guild access on the forums. They can also handle any minor disputes that should arise if no Councilors are online at the time. If a major dispute should occur while no Councilors are online, the Trustee should remind the individuals involved of the Core Council process and report the incident immediately via e-mail or Core Forums so that Councilors can plan a meeting. If the Councilor of their area steps down, they may have the option to move up to fill that roll and a new Trustee will be nominated. If they decline, a new Councilor can be nominated from the Core Members. As a Trustee you are expected to be online regularly during the week and should try to attend regiment meetings and events unless real life responsibilities conflict.

Trustees can step back down to Core Member or Reliance Member status at any time and for any reason and CoT will be thankful to them for the service they provided.

Horrton - RvR Trustee - Realm vs. Realm. This Trustee keeps current with RvR server developments and collaborates a plan of action with the RvR Councilor when possible. If the RvR Councilor is unavailable, the RvR Trustee determines whether a Call to Arms is issued for the regiment. This Trustee works with the RvR councilor on RvR regiment/alliance matters. Any regiment member can plan and run an RvR event/raid at any time.

PvE Trustee - Player vs. Environment. Assist with/plan and run PvE events and responsibilities.

RP Trustee - Role Play. Assists the RP Councilor with responsibilities. This officer will probably be in charge of any crafting/treasury duties.

RR Trustee - Regiment Relations. Keep up with regiment relations (in-game and forum communities) to be aware of anything the RR Councilor may overlook.

Core Members
As founding member, a Core Member is an officer of the regiment. They assist in the decision making and running of the regiment. Their primary responsibility is to hold true to the heart of Circle of Trust. This is not an elected position. Core Members can invite and vote on initiates, use officer chat and have Core Guild access on the forums and can be nominated to a Councilor or Trustee position. They can also handle any minor regiment issues that should arise if a Councilor or Trustee is not available at the time.

Reliance Members
Trust Members of the regiment who also helps regies and runs an occasional event when the mood strikes them. A Reliance Member can invite and vote on initiates and be nominated to the Trustee position.

Trust Members
A Loyalty Member first, who also attends regiment meetings regularly and/or gives input on regiment matters on the forums. A Trust Member can vote on initiates.

Loyalty Members
Recognition for members who belong to CoT for at least 6 months.

Members
Members of the regiment have gone through the Initiate phase with a sponsor and have been voted into CoT.

Initiates
This title is for people who wish to join the regiment and have obtained a sponsor. They are on probation for two weeks. During this time, they must be in game regularly and group with regiment members or initiate time may increase.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Legendary Gamer

Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
As a guild leader how do you select and promote officers?

Do you have clearly defined jobs for officers?

Do your members vote on leadership?

Do you sometimes bestow officer status on individuals to appease them on something? ('fess up now)

Have you had any bad experiences with officers?

What are your requirements for officer candidates?

discuss...
We tailor our leadership structure depending on the game we play, but we do have specific functions for them.

Members do not vote on guild leadership, that is a function of our guild elders. We change leadership if we feel they aren't meeting the standards we expect for a game. Recently in WoW we changed out most of our junior leaders.

We require our officers to be good at what they do and knowledgable about the guild. Sometimes though people aren't used to being leaders, and we have to spend a little time educating them on how to be a good one.

We have had some bad experiences with junior leaders, and its one reason we crafted our guild bylaws. Those are universal to the guild, and then a particular game might have a few additional conduct rules. When a junior leader doesn't know their parameters for their powers, it can cause major problems.

Give new leaders a chance to do well, but if they aren't working out don't leave them in there too long or you can do overwhelming damage to your guild.
Motto: Killing With Style
Old 06-04-2007, 04:36 AM

Aseenus is an unknown quantity at this point
As a guild leader how do you select and promote officers? i look at peoples leadership abilities, even if i dont like them too much if i know for a fact they are a good leader then i will promote them!

Do you have clearly defined jobs for officers? yes, its a must! if u dont have assigned jobs then just like in most guilds officers will be sitting there with a good title next to there name and doing the same as everyone else, u must assign each one "raid leader" "pvp leader" etc

Do your members vote on leadership? no! leadership in guilds imo can never be a democracy... it must be a monarchy where one leader makes decisions for the whole guild, he/she can have a council/officers but never people that can over rule the founder!

Do you sometimes bestow officer status on individuals to appease them on something? ('fess up now) NO! if you do this then that officer will do jack all and people wont take officers seriously in the guild as well as thinking that getting officer status is easy

Have you had any bad experiences with officers? yes big time, as a leader iv had people try mutiny because im such a harsh leader, mutiny is funny in game lol

What are your requirements for officer candidates? usually there are no requirements, just look at all the people that stick out of the crowd a little, once u see them simply watch them carefully and watch if they try to lead at all, if they do once in a blue moon tell them to lead what ever u guys are doing and if he/she does a good job then premote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:25 AM
Famous Member

Perfectd is a jewel in the community Perfectd is a jewel in the community
In DAoC in the HoB we have done multiple things.

We have made officers by their in game achievements and knowledge.
We have also made officers by their loyalty and longevity in both the branch and the guild overall.
We have made officers by the fact that they were an officer in another branch in our guild.
We have done the "application" process.

But all in all, I always try to talk 1 on 1 to each prospective member. See if they are interested, see if they have any hesitations.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Enthusiast

MikesterBrau is a cornerstone of the community MikesterBrau is a cornerstone of the community
Our guild runs as a benevolant Triumvirate or a times an Autocracy. For all positions in all games we outline clear methods for members to achieve rank but officer ranks usually require being in the guild sometime and having shown an ability to lead groups and being offered the position by the Guild Leader after all current officers approve the offer. I will confess that once or twice this position was extend to members who had been with the guild a long time but were showing signs of frustration so the position was offered as a matter of appeasement, reassurance, or out of pure appreciation and in all cases it ended with both sides being disatisfied with the outcome. So my 2 cents would be to never give in to that particular urge. Of course in some games guild management mistakes carry very little penalty for the guild whereas in Shadowbane a bad decision by an officer could cost the guild having a banestone dropped in your back yard and the loss of months of hardwork towards building your city up. In that game a guild leader not only had to lead their guild but they also had the option to work with other GL's in the formation of a Nation.

http://www.bardstavern.net
Old 01-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast

andrewjay is a cornerstone of the community andrewjay is a cornerstone of the community
[quote=Roxianna;20849]As a guild leader how do you select and promote officers?

1.Do you have clearly defined jobs for officers?

2.Do your members vote on leadership?

3.Do you sometimes bestow officer status on individuals to appease them on something? ('fess up now)

4.Have you had any bad experiences with officers?

5.What are your requirements for officer candidates?

ANSWERS
1.Yes, I have 3 different officer ranks and they all have different responsablities. My 10 Captains are 2nd in charge and lead the guild when I am offline. Then I have IronGuards who are my personal Hitmen. These members are super dedicated and police the guild for any undesireables. Plus they have been captains or WarChiefs before. They also must answer the call to arms if we r pvping. My 3rd officer rank are the WarChiefs. They are in charge of running dungeons and splitting up the loot. they make sure nobody ninjas anything. If that happens the ninja is booted from the group and even the guild if there isnt any type of apology or retribution.

2.Yes. WarChiefs are voted in by the guild. The 10 Captains are voted in by other captains and myself. The IronGuards, is like an honorary rank for members who show extraordinay support and dedication for the guild. (Or the stresses of being a captain has burnt them out.)

3.Yes, 1 time. This person was very aggressive and wanted power. I promoted him and it only got worse. He started power tripping and would kick people out of the guild for anything. I recieved many letters of him disrespecting members and people just quit the guild because he took the fun away. I corrected him for being a HotHead and he got pissed. He eventually thought he could do a better job and tried to take over. He ended up taking 4 out of the 10 captains with him and started his own guild. All 4 were rl friends and they felt bad and apoligized, because they knew how he gets. In the end his guild desintegrated and some members that left came back. (I think he is selling oranges on the side of the streets in L.A.now) I will never do that again... Plus, the new voting system we have now seems to be working. I will not do that one again...

4. See answer #3

5. Time in guild/great personality/mature/lvl above 50/able to make decisions in a dispute/willing to be open and hear both sides of the story/willing to teach younger players without getting frustrated or pissed/not afraid to correct me if I'm wrong/wants to make the guild a better community to play/basically, better people than me
Old 01-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Famous Member

Herra14 is bathed in a white light of excellence Herra14 is bathed in a white light of excellence Herra14 is bathed in a white light of excellence Herra14 is bathed in a white light of excellence Herra14 is bathed in a white light of excellence Herra14 is bathed in a white light of excellence
Well this will be my first time being the actual guild leader of my guild. But even in past guilds I was usually the co-leader even though I only had an officer rank. But that was simply because the games wouldn't allow for more than one guild leader. I have in the past been the bad guy and gotten several officers demoted from thier position because of thier bad attitudes so I have deffinatly run into bad officers. Soory but when you bring your personal life in during raids or take out your anger on other guild members because your own life sucks then you have no place in a leadership position. Your personal life stays out of the game period.

As for members voting on the officers we asked our members to nominate people for the position then we asked those who had been nominated if they even wanted the position. If they said yes then it was up to the guilod leader and the officers including me on who got to fill the official role. And yes every officer had assigned jobs, why bother promoting anyone to a powerful position if they are going to do nothing. The whole point to having officers to to help the guild master so hes not stuck doing all the work.

In my own guild I will do the same thing with allowing my members nominate their fellow guildmates for the officer position. I have always felt you need to give your members a voice to speak with otherwise they get frusterated about never getting heard and they will quit the guild and it is understandible. Right now I have 2 officers both are players I have know for a long time one is my husband his whole purpose is to be the guild exocutioner. He kicks members from the guild after its been disscussed between all the leaders. He doesn't mind being the so called bad guy and I don't have the time to be bothered with petty drama over someone being kicked because they broke a rule. My other officer is a good friend and a great player who is always active in game as well as out. Then I have my recruiters, Raid leaders and class leaders. These all have defined roles and they all know what thier job is. I will never promote anyone no matter how nice they are or how good of a leader they think they are if they can't play the game more than once a week. Sorry but I am a firm beleiver in promoting the most active players. You don't want leaders that are never online and therefor are always out of the loop over what takes place on a daily basis.

Visit our Guild at http://fate.guildcafe.com