11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Groups/Guilds/Clans > Leader Support

Old 05-25-2007, 09:36 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades-LotD View Post
Seems these days when you go out and post recruitment notices on some of the gaming official forums or fan sites that you end up with more negative comments.
Get asbestos underwear. Being flamed does not decrease your recruiting post's effectiveness. In fact, it may increase it. You can thank flamers for keeping your post bumped. In addition if you answer with style, never stooping to the troll level, you will gain respect. Depending on the forum, less than 1 in 10 people respond so you never know what the people you care about are thinking anyway. Put your best foot forward and go with the flow.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Legendary Gamer

Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
Get asbestos underwear. Being flamed does not decrease your recruiting post's effectiveness. In fact, it may increase it. You can thank flamers for keeping your post bumped. In addition if you answer with style, never stooping to the troll level, you will gain respect. Depending on the forum, less than 1 in 10 people respond so you never know what the people you care about are thinking anyway. Put your best foot forward and go with the flow.
Yeah nothing new to us, but the flame comments are rather amusing. Good luck with your GW guild.
Motto: Killing With Style
Old 05-26-2007, 12:57 AM
Enthusiast

Valor has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Valor Send a message via MSN to Valor Send a message via Yahoo to Valor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
Guild Wars is all the bad things about WoW community cubed. Still, its my favorite game. People tend to want to join your guild instantly, then change their mind the next day if they login and you are not doing what they want to do. Its a bit better for PvP, but there the emphasis is getting in HA and getting rank and if you are not going to get them in a hall holding group right this instant...bye. You must forgive though, these are mostly kids under 16, this is their first MMO and they have no idea that there is any reward for sticking with something and making it happen, yet.

I am on my third guild building in GW (I destroyed the two through my own mismanagement). I have done so much recruiting, I am changing my title to Lady Spamorama (I even wrote and article about in game advertising for PlayerVox). My best recruiting quality-wise comes from running PUGs in HA and inviting guests to GvG. Once people see the quality of team I field, if they are available, they want to join right up. That is when I get them to the Website.
I did alot of my recruiting as well in HA. That seems to be where alot of the skilled players hang out. The pattern I found is that people who have sat for hours in HA farming rank think that this makes them more uber than you. Dealing with this attitude is what turned me off to HA. But then again, when someone is good at a game, they typically know it... its just dealing with their attitude and managing them.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:43 PM

Esraymuk has much to be proud of
I've had a few of those too - apparently my guild's standards are too high-.-, just laugh at them and respond with wit and style. People reading the forum will respect you more for it.

The sort of people who will flame you are mostly "noobs" who have no standards; they seem to think that being selective about choosing who you want in your guild is a bad thing.
Last edited by Esraymuk : 05-26-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:21 AM
Enthusiast

DorlasEdrahil is community member of note
Send a message via MSN to DorlasEdrahil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor View Post
I did alot of my recruiting as well in HA. That seems to be where alot of the skilled players hang out. The pattern I found is that people who have sat for hours in HA farming rank think that this makes them more uber than you. Dealing with this attitude is what turned me off to HA. But then again, when someone is good at a game, they typically know it... its just dealing with their attitude and managing them.
Quite as well. R3 req etc...for IWAY?!. That's why I practically never played HA, because people tended to be immature and also because good players already had well-established routine and schedule . And when I played, I played balanced, but only on a couple of occasions and with some bad luck (like getting top 100 guild warming up for GvG and dismantling us after 15 brave minutes... Ah well, I'm rambling...

To the point, I'm now a firm believer in requiring application and forum usage. I've been in horrible guilds in GW, more so I've never quite been in good one there. Because I was recruited in-game with no requirements whatsoever. So in LOTRO I've chosen quite the opposite tactic and now I'm in well known, reputable and fun guild. Having a blast.

Conclusion being that what ruined my PvP career (or lack of it to be precise) in GW was my inability to pick and choose and make a commitment to a guild with clear vision and such requirements.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:25 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
We Quit Our Day Jobs [Band] seeks committed competitive core for midline. Practices are M-Th 3:00 - 6:00 PM EST (19:00 -22:00 GMT). Must have the heart of a winner.

...could not resist a plug.

That being said. I am feeling the pain of everything being discussed here and I am personally committed to making GuildCafe a solution to it.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:52 AM
Famous Member

Zeli has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Zeli Send a message via MSN to Zeli
Circle of Trust has always been a small casual guild. Some people assume we won't have standards for entry. Oh how wrong they are. We really enjoy our guild and we want to continue to have the same atmosphere even while adding new folks. We don't try to be everything to everyone. There are tons of guilds out there. People should find one that fits them best. We're looking for members that fit us. Because of our attitude, we stay small, and we're okay with that.

The first thing a potential recruit has to do is read our laws and our guild positions descriptions. They have to have an understanding of what kind of guild they're trying to join and what's expected of them.

The second thing they have to do is register on the forums and post an introduction.

Then someone in the guild has to agree to be their sponsor. A sponsor kinda takes the initiate under their wing. They group with them, introduce them to the rest of the guild, and keep in close contact for the 2 weeks. This really helps initiates feel welcomed quickly and helps them find out if we're right for them too. This is really great for developing that close guild bond.

After 2 weeks, there's a vote (by eligible ranked guild members) and we let the person know if they're in or not.

If someone isn't online enough (example: they disappear for 10 days of the 2 weeks) we have the right to extend their initiation. We don't guildie someone out of obligation.

It's pretty simple. Read, Post, Play.
If that's too much, we're not for you.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:15 AM

[DELTA]GEN._FOX(JC) has much to be proud of
Hades if hate have people giving you crap about forums and registering.
Maybe you should try a different game. The same thing happened to me on MOHAA, so I switched Americas Army. The players on that game appericaite organzied guilds a.k.a. (clans) & forums. This is a sign of a solid leadership and a dedicated leader. The A.A. players like it that they can stop in one spot to find out about training times, guild news, and programs that enhance the A.A. experience. there are immature players in every game. Some games have less then others. I know this becuase I have sampled over 12 online mutliplayer games.
Hopefully this helps.
If you want to chat more on the subject, leave me a message on my profile.
Later.
General-FOX
In law enforcement their is one basic rule, no matter who we are or where we are from. The rule is that you come home at the end of the day becuase your partner will be there when you're in trouble. Just as your partner excpets the same from you.

Officer Mitch Carls,
More then a partner,
the man who saved my life at the expense of his.
R.I.P. buddy
May 2005
Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast

Valor has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Valor Send a message via MSN to Valor Send a message via Yahoo to Valor
Quote:
Originally Posted by [DELTA]GEN._FOX(JC) View Post
Hades if hate have people giving you crap about forums and registering.
Maybe you should try a different game. The same thing happened to me on MOHAA, so I switched Americas Army. The players on that game appericaite organzied guilds a.k.a. (clans) & forums. This is a sign of a solid leadership and a dedicated leader. The A.A. players like it that they can stop in one spot to find out about training times, guild news, and programs that enhance the A.A. experience. there are immature players in every game. Some games have less then others. I know this becuase I have sampled over 12 online mutliplayer games.
Hopefully this helps.
If you want to chat more on the subject, leave me a message on my profile.
Later.
General-FOX
to an extent I agree with you fox. I believe that some games really do foster players who dont have to use forums, or just plain dont realize their usefulness. Guild Wars is a perfect example for the fly by night player. There are thousands upon thousands of guilds out there and when players bounce around as much as they do, they find it only a drag to take the time to commit to an online community through their forums.

In other games, this is an issue, but not so sever as can be found in Guild Wars.

P.S.- hades has been in MMO's for over 13 years :P hes played em all.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:01 PM

Zason has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Zason Send a message via AIM to Zason Send a message via MSN to Zason Send a message via Yahoo to Zason
I am also trying to start a guild built on solid prinicples but not many members at all...

It is definately difficult. I have been getting pointers and reading books on leadership, and I am not new to the leadership position but with what I am trying to start there are requirments and the application has even been scaled down from what it was. I have read a few articles on other types of guilds that fit they spectrum, The Syndicate and Lords of the Dead were both good reads.

Any advice?

"Z"