11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Groups/Guilds/Clans > Leader Support

Old 05-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Legendary Gamer

Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community
Recruitment Applications and Screening
Seems these days when you go out and post recruitment notices on some of the gaming official forums or fan sites that you end up with more negative comments. I've noticed that people dislike filling out applications, and don't hesitate to call you elitist, controlling, etc.

I know that those type of people aren't what we are looking for, but I was wondering what some of you have experienced, what your general application consists of, and how you screen new applicants.
Motto: Killing With Style
Old 05-25-2007, 04:43 PM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
I've also noticed that most people prefer to taste-test lots of guilds/clans before committing to one. It's my observation that this has become more the norm over the last 1-2 years. For people joining and leaving multiple guilds per day, filling out applications is probably perceived as a big hurdle.

Disruptor Beam -- Facebook RPGs
Old 05-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Enthusiast

Valor has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Valor Send a message via MSN to Valor Send a message via Yahoo to Valor
One thing hades that I experienced in Guild Wars is the overwhelming hatred of using forums in general. I probably talked to 100+ people who completely lost all interest in joining our guild due to having to register on a forum and then fill out an application.

Because of how useful forums are to an organized guild, I cannot justify giving someone a bye on having to fill out an application. There may be a better way to help avert this problem though if games woul allow guilds to have a message board readable by tag. Go to a kiosk and look up (ex) LotD and there would be our most recent news/ recruitement requirements.

Usually people who have more experience inside a guild tend to be more willing to use the forums. So Finding a way to get them to that point would probably be the best bet.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:44 PM

Koto-LotD has set foot on a distinguished road
If people cant be bothered to fill out an application and register on forums whats the point of having them in a guild? Yes they may be good at the game but they will probably leave or will not help the guild as a whole, they may only participate in things which benefit them one way or another.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Enthusiast

Valor has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Valor Send a message via MSN to Valor Send a message via Yahoo to Valor
if you can coax them into forum usage though, you may create a outstanding member who participates actively in the community. Without trying, you will never know.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:23 PM
GuildCafe Theme Designer

Zel is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Zel
Asking potential recruits to register and post on your forum is a good thing and helps to protect your guild from people who don't care enough, are too impatient (often also means they're immature), or who ultimately don't intend to contribute.

our guild recruitment process requires exactly that... first step is register on our forums and post a little info about yourself and why you want to join. That's less formal than an application at least and allows the person to show some personality. Then, having their introduction post on our forum gives the entire guild a chance to know who is applying, despite different play schedules. Next they have to get enough votes. Our recruitment dept provides them with a list of active player names to contact, moves their application to private section and makes a poll. They have to make an effort to contact those people in game to get votes, by grouping up us, chatting with us, getting to know some of us in general... so that's even more effort on the part of the applicant.

This isn't elitest... you aren't turning people away based on their character's skills or lack therof... you're turning them away based on a lack of commitment and this is the same kind of commitment that'd make them a good guildmate in the long run anyway.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Legendary Gamer

Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel View Post
Asking potential recruits to register and post on your forum is a good thing and helps to protect your guild from people who don't care enough, are too impatient (often also means they're immature), or who ultimately don't intend to contribute.

our guild recruitment process requires exactly that... first step is register on our forums and post a little info about yourself and why you want to join. That's less formal than an application at least and allows the person to show some personality. Then, having their introduction post on our forum gives the entire guild a chance to know who is applying, despite different play schedules. Next they have to get enough votes. Our recruitment dept provides them with a list of active player names to contact, moves their application to private section and makes a poll. They have to make an effort to contact those people in game to get votes, by grouping up us, chatting with us, getting to know some of us in general... so that's even more effort on the part of the applicant.

This isn't elitest... you aren't turning people away based on their character's skills or lack therof... you're turning them away based on a lack of commitment and this is the same kind of commitment that'd make them a good guildmate in the long run anyway.
That's pretty much how we do it too. Our application only asks for some general background info, what games they've played, what guild's they belonged to, and if they do belong to another guild then we ask why they are joining us.

Here's a couple of responses we got to recruitment posts on some other sites that sort of sums up the type of people I was talking about in the first post.

Quote:
Hope the elitist pricks dont wreck this game, may actually be fun. Have to wonder if that was an army application or if these guys realize the meaning of the word game. /boggle
Quote:

Sounded good at first, but turned out like every other guild recruitment/site out there, which is why I avoid them.

I've been around a long time, and know what to look for in a guild. I'm not some ignorant newbie who got the internet a week ago and has no concept of good/bad guilds.

But I don't need to prove or justify myself. I know my standards, and I know who is and isn't up to them.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Lurker in Disguise

Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Send a message via ICQ to Syldra Send a message via AIM to Syldra Send a message via MSN to Syldra Send a message via Yahoo to Syldra
I can understand the source of those complaints.
Your apps seem very detailed, and about trying to get highly skilled players.

If what you're after are experienced, skilled players they're fine, but would definitely turn off someone looking for a more casual guild.

(IMHO, of course)

Old 05-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Legendary Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syldra View Post
I can understand the source of those complaints.
Your apps seem very detailed, and about trying to get highly skilled players.

If what you're after are experienced, skilled players they're fine, but would definitely turn off someone looking for a more casual guild.

(IMHO, of course)
Thanks for your thoughts.

We don't have problems getting members though, but we do prefer to try to get people who have previous gaming experience. We tailor the application to the specific game. So in WoW its more about PVE, and our other games are more PVP focused.

As long as someone fits in well we don't mind taking a total gaming newbie and training them up. Usually once a game launches we get apps due to our willingness to group people outside the guild, and after they get to know us the applicantion doesn't seem to be a huge issue.

For someone cold off the street, its a coin toss as to whether they'll fill it out or go elsewhere. If they don't want to fill it out, then they don't really want to run with an established competitive guild and that's fine by me. You don't last 12 years by lowering your standards to get a warm body or two.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:32 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor View Post
One thing hades that I experienced in Guild Wars is the overwhelming hatred of using forums in general. I probably talked to 100+ people who completely lost all interest in joining our guild due to having to register on a forum and then fill out an application.
Guild Wars is all the bad things about WoW community cubed. Still, its my favorite game. People tend to want to join your guild instantly, then change their mind the next day if they login and you are not doing what they want to do. Its a bit better for PvP, but there the emphasis is getting in HA and getting rank and if you are not going to get them in a hall holding group right this instant...bye. You must forgive though, these are mostly kids under 16, this is their first MMO and they have no idea that there is any reward for sticking with something and making it happen, yet.

I am on my third guild building in GW (I destroyed the two through my own mismanagement). I have done so much recruiting, I am changing my title to Lady Spamorama (I even wrote and article about in game advertising for PlayerVox). My best recruiting quality-wise comes from running PUGs in HA and inviting guests to GvG. Once people see the quality of team I field, if they are available, they want to join right up. That is when I get them to the Website.