11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Groups/Guilds/Clans > Leader Support

Old 05-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindorn View Post
Host: Hey guys
Player 1: GO
Player 2:GO
Player 2:GO GOGOGOGOGOGOG!!!!1
Player 1: NUB HOST
Player 2: GO FAG!!
<lol> This is so true, and more so as your game has wider appeal. (Ratchet & Clank 4, ugh!)

The problem is not that new games don't encourage team play. Quite the opposite--new games go out of their way to encourage, or even force it. (CoH, for example) This forces non-joiners to join. So, obviously they're not joining for good reasons. Of course there will be no reason to be loyal, and bob's your uncle.

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 05-22-2007, 03:57 AM

Toman is community member of note
Send a message via AIM to Toman Send a message via MSN to Toman
I definitly agree with games forcing you to join guilds. If you want to do PvE progression in WoW you need to join a guild. Because you are just joining to collect DKP and lewtz why would you be loyal to the people in that guild? You joined to kill Uber_Mob_01 not to have a community.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:20 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toman View Post
I definitly agree with games forcing you to join guilds. If you want to do PvE progression in WoW you need to join a guild. Because you are just joining to collect DKP and lewtz why would you be loyal to the people in that guild? You joined to kill Uber_Mob_01 not to have a community.

I guess I joined my first guild in AC1 because someone invited me...I was new to the massive part of MMORPGs and the culture. I like most, stopped playing the game one day and never returned. I never said good-bye to the lovely Freye who had helped the first Roxianna so much... sometime later in AC2 I discovered the joy that a guild can be and I have been hooked ever since.

I am perpetually trying to recreate the community I had in AC2 (early adopter techie crowd) and SWG, still the mother of all MMORPG community games. I know ya'll can feel that effort here in the GuildCafe.

I can't help but hope that the masses who have joined WoW as there very first game, might discover the joy of online community. The same goes for all the teenagers working their way through the free games right now.

Someday when they have had their fill of loot, will they long for more?
Old 05-22-2007, 04:52 PM

{Dark}Insight has much to be proud of
i see your problem, a solution i found was giving members jobs , and missions of there own. people play games to keep occupied as well as having fun, give them some responsibility, or a job. that will increase loyalty and involvement people want to advance not just in levels. I've gone from group leader to administrator and i am creating clan leader as a earnble ( and loseble) rank.

H.P. Lovecraft
Old 05-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Legendary Gamer

Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community
Current game mechanics do not support guild loyalty, but fortunately I've gotten the devs of an upcoming PVP game to listen and build in a loyalty reward.

That said you need to consider how you do your recruitment. If the member doesn't have to make much of an effort to get into the guild, they probably won't hang around long. We make everyone fill out an application to join, and the less effort they put into it then the less likely we are to add them.

Once they are in the guild we keep track of who participates, who doesn't, and who only participates when something is in it for them. The people who don't stand out as team players are weeded out before they ever progress too far with us.

No system is perfect, but that's the one we use.
Motto: Killing With Style
Old 05-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Enthusiast

Valor has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Valor Send a message via MSN to Valor Send a message via Yahoo to Valor
I have been co-leading a guild in Guild Wars for over 6 months now. The PvP community that I am a member of "Lords of the Dead" has been around for 12 years now moving from game to game and only this past year returned to Guild Wars. We brought over around 10 members from other chapters inside LotD and began our struggle to set up, operate and succeed in the oversaturated world of Guilds. I found some very interesting points when it came to recruiting(not only good players, but loyal players as well).

*Initially, We had severe issues finding quality recruites. There are hundreds of thousands of people available, and it takes time to sift through the masses finding someone who is skilled, mature, and willing to work.
[SOLUTION]
Recruite, Recruite, Recruite! In game recruiting would typically yield high numbers of interested players, but the majority of them were fairweather players and refused to work to improve as a guild, not just themselves. Player community forums turned out to be one of the more successful means of recruitement. Players who frequent those sites tend to be the more serious gamer who hungers for success. And lastly, BUT most importantly. Reputation. Create a good reputation in the community, create a good reputation by killing, healing, giving, or taking. Respect will go a long ways.

*Next, holding onto high quality recruites. Our guild did not have enough prestige or rank as of yet, and typically their ego refused to let those players stay in a newly created guild.
[SOLUTION]
The first way to solve this problem is to be up front with your situation when recruiting. "We are a new guild" "We are rebuilding" "Laid back guild LF.." "30yro+ Only". Whatever your situation is.. if the recuite doesnt know until its too late, you may lose them.

Second, have some way to perform a maturity check. Nothing is more detrimental to a guild than gouging your numbers on immature players who put themselves and their egos over your guild and its purpose. Even 1 immature person can dismantle a guild.

Well... Thats just a brief synopsis of some of the hell of recruiting ive experienced over the past 6 months, but bump your head enough times and eventually you will learn to duck. And yes, eventually when you have established yourself in the community and have set up a good form of recruiting, a good solid guild of loyal members can exist.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:53 PM

Esraymuk has much to be proud of
Roxianna, I have had your problems recruiting loyal members within a mature server environment as well. My solution to this particular problem is to recruit about a year before game release, and set very high standards.

High standards ensure that quality people, and thus loyal people, join. People who've been raiding Nax and downing the final boss in WoW usually have to stay with a guild for a while before they can do so. Similarly, high achievers in other games tend to have played with a guild for a long time in order to achieve such standards.

In addition, kick out forum inactives. If people arn't participating in forum discussions and generally interacting with the community, they will have no incentive to stay in the community, as there is nobody there know very well within the community.

Upon retail, the people who stay with you will be pretty loyal - after all, they've been with you for a year.

Fostering an active community is the most effective way of creating loyal members. So far this philosophy has worked for me; I havn't had a single member leave voluntarily so far in 7-8 months.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Enthusiast

Alycat is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Alycat is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Alycat is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Alycat is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Alycat is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Alycat is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Alycat is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Alycat is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Send a message via AIM to Alycat
We take a people first attitude in my guild so there's an emphasis on friendship and comradery. We have some members that will stick by us no matter what but we've had others who left because they had a different set of gaming values, though some are losing their enjoyment of the game because they've turned it into a chore and spend more time bickering with guildies than having fun together.

We'd like to be more involved in PVE raiding but our numbers are small. However, I'm hoping that our approach will pay off in the long run. People are less likely to leave a group if they are with them because they actually like them and not just because they see them as a means to an end. Otherwise, members will always be lured away by the more hardcore guilds.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:06 AM

Ryahask has much to be proud of
Though I feel its much more common for dedication to vary on what a guild has to offer fortunately there are still those around who become loyal members of guilds. You need to have a good application process and it weeds out 50%-75% of those after nothing more than the bonuses of being in a guild (Apart from comradery, such as having a city, sponsors, etc.). Seems like many who're simply after the guild with the most to offer don't want to dedicate time to apply to a guild, *most* (From what I've seen) who take the time to fill out an application truly want to take part in the guild.

Must say you're right about it being much more common in the past, but then again the new age of MMOs is much different from many of the older games. Seems there's much more elitists playing games now, as well as morons, because of that SWG, EQ, or any older games aren't comparable to any recent MMOs.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Enthusiast

alomo has set foot on a distinguished road
i have seen more than one post about the importance people put on applications to guilds. this is something that I am am not too sure about. In all the guilds I have been in that have had websites, I only filled out one application on that website. That would have been the guild defiance in world of warcraft. the only reason i did that was because i knew quite a few people from that guild from two previous guilds. the person i asked at the time was not able to admit me, and he suggested i go to the website. soon after I did that, i checked back on the site, and there were a few replies about it. due to the playing times, and not knowing who was online, and taking a 7 month break, going to the website and letting them know who i was, was probably the best thing to do.

the other guilds, I did not fill out any application. did that mean i did not stay in them long? no. did that mean i did not participate in guild events? no. did that mean i did not go to the website and put down posts? no. I am still part of a Ghost Recon guild from about 1998 that i did not fill out any application for.

i find the online applications to be intimidating. it honestly feels like it is some super cool guy club.

I have found a good judge of a person is pretty simple. Just run with them for a while see how they are. are they a team player? are they knowledgeable? that is a better judge of character than filling out any forum application.

the reality of the situation is that people will leave guilds. for whatever the reason, they will leave. maybe they just don't like guild anymore, maybe they want another one that will better suit their style. then there are people who are satisfied with the way the guild is run and happy with it.