11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > Support

Old 05-04-2007, 03:24 PM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
Ads are Coming -- a letter from Jon Radoff
Ever since the launch of the GuildCafe beta back in December 2006, we've been hard at work to build additional functionality. During that time, new-member registrations have started to take off and we serve up tens of thousands of pages per day. We anticipate continuing to grow a lot, as well as adding even more functionality to the site--but the time has come where we need to start thinking about how we'll fund things.

In the near future, you'll start to see some ads on GuildCafe. I wanted to let everyone know that this was part of our future, but also wanted to share with you our philosophy and commitments regarding advertising:

1. We will not carry ads that promote gold-selling, power-levelling services or similar businesses in the RMT trade.

2. We aren't going to carry ads that we consider obnoxious or abusive to the user experience. Like you, none of the people hard-at-working building GuildCafe appreciate pop-up/pop-under ads, flashing ads or anything of that ilk--so we will not carry them either.

3. The ads we do carry are going to be for things we think you'd be interested in.

4. We're committed to keeping ad density at a reasonable minimum. It is important to us that the vast majority of every page is content-rich, interesting and relevant and not merely a vehicle for ad placement.

The good news is that the all of this is going to help us fund even more development at GuildCafe, which is going to translate to a lot of added functionality which we think will increase the joy of gaming for all our members.

If you have thoughts or feelings about any of this, please feel free to post here.

Regards,

Jon "Tarinth" Radoff

Disruptor Beam -- Facebook RPGs
Last edited by Tarinth : 05-04-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Famous Member

Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence
Thanks for not throwing in with the secondary market nonsense.

Are you considering a subscription for ad free option like a lot of sites seem to have?

Old 05-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Founding Member

Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Will these be rated PG ads?

Old 05-04-2007, 05:38 PM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
Grimparrot: we can consider it if our members are interested in that. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks.

Armaya: yes -- none of the ads will be much different from what you'd see on mainstream gaming sites (TenTon Hammer, MMORPG.com, Stratics are good reference points) or other community-driven social media sites (Slashdot, Digg).

Old 05-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
I don't mind ads but also don't know if I would mind paying to have them go away, depending on the price of course

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Old 05-05-2007, 07:24 PM
GuildMaster of DC

Lindorn is a cornerstone of the community Lindorn is a cornerstone of the community Lindorn is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Lindorn Send a message via MSN to Lindorn
Of course, but for the love of God look at myspace as an example of how not to do it.

If I wake up one more time in the middle of the night to hear some emote saying "OH MY GOD" or "WHOOHOO" I will literally unlock my Soviet assault rifle and go to the corporate headquarters of whoever promotes the product and do something terrible.

www.RevolutionG.com (Your source for the cutting edge in MMORPG thought and design. Want to make a difference? Now is your chance.)
Old 05-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Famous Member

Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindorn View Post
Of course, but for the love of God look at myspace as an example of how not to do it.

If I wake up one more time in the middle of the night to hear some emote saying "OH MY GOD" or "WHOOHOO" I will literally unlock my Soviet assault rifle and go to the corporate headquarters of whoever promotes the product and do something terrible.
/QFE

Myspace gives me a migraine just looking at it too. A few Banner ads are fine. 5.3 million strobelight flashing audio screaming monstrosities not so much.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:17 PM
gamerDNA Team

Those are good example of the exact type of ads we intend to avoid. That's what I was referring to when I stated that we won't accept obnoxious/abusive ads that ruin the user experience.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimparrot View Post
Are you considering a subscription for ad free option like a lot of sites seem to have?
I avoid sites like that; it's like saying, we don't care what we promote but since you do, here's a fee to make them go away.

I will never pay for a site that would otherwise drive me away with ads. I'll simply move on to the next growing site.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 05-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Rising Star

MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to MaeveAlleine Send a message via AIM to MaeveAlleine Send a message via Yahoo to MaeveAlleine
I don't mind advertising at all. As long as your adverts are pertinent to the tastes of people here it should be a good revenue stream!

I tried using ads by goooooooooogle on our guild site to help with costs but all they fed us was gold sellers. If anyone has any suggestions for quality site sponsorships, please let me know

visit my blog: oh! san diego dot com