Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

View Poll Results: Which OS?
Windows Vista 7 77.78%
Windows XP Media Center 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodou View Post
I'm typing this from the new rig and I'm pleased to report instances of blazing fast graphics, zero Vista compatibility issues (so far), and that warm, fuzzy feeling you get from seeing a kitten.

Is it wrong to be in love with a machine?
Yes it is, Jodou. Very wrong.

I won't tell.

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 05-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
One question: is that an nVidia branded motherboard? How do you like it?

Old 05-23-2007, 11:12 PM

Kenai-LotD has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodou View Post
OK, now that I have your unbiased opinions, here's some of the hardware specs I'm going with:

Motherboard: nVIDIA nForce 680i SLI (eVGA)
Chip: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6600 (4MB L2 Cache,2.4GHz,1066 FSB)
Card: 768MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX
Sound: X-Fi™ Fatality Sound Card
RAM: 2 Gigs DDR2 CAS4 @ 1142 MHz Dominator Corsair
PSU: Enermax Galaxy 1000 Watt

This should be pretty good for a few years, eh?
Nice system! I do have some thoughts on this ...

X-Fi's have a lot of issues right now on Vista, so far I do not know if there is a native driver from Creative that works on any of the current Vista platforms.

Great choice of vid-card, as the GTX's are going to be at or near $300 by the end of June or when ATI launces there next round.

As for mobo's I never owned an eVGA mobo, but they make a fine vid card. On a custom rig I would stick with Asus, Abit, or DFI.

RAM why not CAS 2 or 2.5? Lower latency = faster frame rates but it always comes at more $$$$

I like the E6600 the 6800 is till over priced IMO.

As far as Vista and games there is a great writeup over at [H]ard-OCP
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

Personally, I am waiting till Vista SP1 and/or a few more driver revisions before I make the jump to Vista. XP, when it was first released was far worse than 98 SE, but now it roxors! Vista will come around, it's just not ready .... yet
Old 06-08-2007, 04:47 AM

GravisJ1 has much to be proud of
Gonna need a beast to run it full settings.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
Corsair has a reputation of putting quality ram in the product they send to reviewers, but then replace it with cheaper ram for production - so be careful.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Innovative

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeZzy View Post
Corsair has a reputation of putting quality ram in the product they send to reviewers, but then replace it with cheaper ram for production - so be careful.
It used to be great stuff, and still can be if you order carefully. But, I also heard increasing rumors about drops in their quality, so when I last upgraded (to 1G) I switched to Crucial, which has made me very happy.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:04 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekhedd View Post
One question: is that an nVidia branded motherboard? How do you like it?
TBH, a friend advised me to this board and it suited my needs; so far no complaints!

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 06-09-2007, 03:09 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenai-LotD View Post
Nice system! I do have some thoughts on this ...

X-Fi's have a lot of issues right now on Vista, so far I do not know if there is a native driver from Creative that works on any of the current Vista platforms.

Personally, I am waiting till Vista SP1 and/or a few more driver revisions before I make the jump to Vista. XP, when it was first released was far worse than 98 SE, but now it roxors! Vista will come around, it's just not ready .... yet
So far the soundboard has been incredible with 0 upsets.

As for Vista, you're right about it not being ready yet. This machine is such a beast, yet I'm still finding performance issues that can only be traced to either driver support or Vista itself.

Crysis is being developed to take advantage of DX10, so I'm hopeful that it will be the first to truly realize its potential.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd