Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

View Poll Results: Which OS?
Windows Vista 7 77.78%
Windows XP Media Center 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2007, 02:17 PM

ShadowEfx has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowEfx
I would play it safe and go with other options besides vista. Ive had it, then covered it. Its a glitchfest!!
Old 04-28-2007, 03:38 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
I hate playing games on Vista right now, but someday the kinks will be worked out. For DirectX 10 you have no choice.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
OK, now that I have your unbiased opinions, here's some of the hardware specs I'm going with:

Motherboard: nVIDIA nForce 680i SLI (eVGA)
Chip: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6600 (4MB L2 Cache,2.4GHz,1066 FSB)
Card: 768MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX
Sound: X-Fi™ Fatality Sound Card
RAM: 2 Gigs DDR2 CAS4 @ 1142 MHz Dominator Corsair
PSU: Enermax Galaxy 1000 Watt

This should be pretty good for a few years, eh?

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 05-02-2007, 10:21 PM

Droniac has set foot on a distinguished road
Nice rig Jodou, but isn't 1000 Watt a bit too much? Now if you were going to implement a quad core processor and two Geforce 8800GTX cards in SLI configuration, alongside half a dozen hard drives - sure... but with your specs as they are, there's really no reason to go higher than 600.

If you're going to buy a new system for Crysis - then you really aught to just go with Windows Vista. It'll improve over time, just like the previous versions of Windows did.

As for
"1) Alot of DX10 is about dropping the fixed function pipeline features in older card. This is not going to neccessarily improve what you see on the screen by itself."

No, it won't improve what you see on the screen by itself - but it will likely have a sizable impact on performance in games. Allowing pipelines to take on whatever task is necessary at the time aught to augment the power of DirectX10 video cards (compared to DX9 versions) significantly - which in turn allows game devs to boost the visual detail in their games.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Whoops, you're right about the PSU. I was looking at bottlenecks vs costs and the one area that won't be a problem is the chip. I dropped it down from a quad core and some other modifications without changing my PSU. I had planned a 750 watt with the new setup to be on the safe side.

DX10 introduces the unified pixel shader technology, which is what you described. Because it can swap shader functionality to pixel or vertex shaders, it saves GPU cycles. I guess it would have been silly to not try this out now, rather than later. Vista it is.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 05-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
I'll give you a pre-nerf noobie melon if you let me have your new computer.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droniac View Post

As for
"1) Alot of DX10 is about dropping the fixed function pipeline features in older card. This is not going to neccessarily improve what you see on the screen by itself."

No, it won't improve what you see on the screen by itself - but it will likely have a sizable impact on performance in games. Allowing pipelines to take on whatever task is necessary at the time aught to augment the power of DirectX10 video cards (compared to DX9 versions) significantly - which in turn allows game devs to boost the visual detail in their games.
It will be pretty MOOT. Current cards are all shader based and support legacy fixed function pipeline features with shaders anyhow. DirectX10 just removes requirement for the legacy support shader programs.

The big visual deal of DirectX 10 is the geometry shader addition.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Infamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
I'll give you a pre-nerf noobie melon if you let me have your new computer.
Lol, remember the lame ass tutorial? God I miss that game sometimes.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Infamous

I'm typing this from the new rig and I'm pleased to report instances of blazing fast graphics, zero Vista compatibility issues (so far), and that warm, fuzzy feeling you get from seeing a kitten.

Is it wrong to be in love with a machine?

Old 05-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
It's a little late, but people should wait until Crysis is released before buying hardware. There will be alot of price drops in the fall.