11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 04-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
Update your Windoze!
I'm posting this because alot of people got their WoW accounts hacked in March because of an animated cursor exploit. M$ finally released a patch on April 3rd so if you don't update regularly, you should do so now. This exploit will become more common in the future so you should take action against it now.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS07-017.mspx
Old 04-09-2007, 03:34 AM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Good advise for anyone not running automatic updates.

In other news, enable automatic updates. Owning 95% of the market share does have its downsides. And before you blast Microsoft too harshly, you should know that Mac and Linux are regularly getting patched for equally dangerous security flaws. Check the major security sites, you might be surprised by what you see. After writing code for 20 years, I am honestly amazed that anything works at all. There is so much code built upon code, its hard to beleive that any modern OS will ever be secure.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:31 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
PezZy

I took care of this AM. I use FireFox so using Windows Update is a pain--I need to be reminded!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
PezZy

I took care of this AM. I use FireFox so using Windows Update is a pain--I need to be reminded!
If your using the most recent version of Automatic Updates, they are checked by the scheduler and don't require you to click the "windows updates" menu item in IE anymore. You can configure how the updates are checked and downloaded from the "Automatic Updates" applet in your control panel.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:02 PM

Belatucadros has much to be proud of
I'd actually suggest 'Microsoft Update' if you run any other MS apps (Office, SQL etc) as it'll pick them up as well. I don't remember if regular windows update picks up Windows Defender definition updates or not....

I usually have it download automatically and prompt me to update (Nothing is worse than it asking you to reboot in the middle of something)
Old 05-10-2007, 11:46 PM

Yoad has much to be proud of
roxianna, google for IETab, its a FFox Addon that lets you enter IE-only sites by manipulating the site to think you are actually using IE.

Goodluck.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:25 PM

juice has much to be proud of
"IE Tab, an extension from Taiwan, embeds Internet Explorer in a Mozilla/Firefox tab. "

So it is actually using IE, not just tricking the page into thinking you're using IE.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
There's a windowsupdate site for Firefox users (and other browsers) - http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/ . I have a feeling it's only used by people with illegal copies of Windows or people who have internet explorer phobia.

A word of warning if you install their plugin - you won't be able to change your default browser back to IE without registry changes. If you end up in that situation, get the file "IE_Default_Browser.reg" from a reputable source.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeZzy View Post
There's a windowsupdate site for Firefox users (and other browsers) - http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/ . I have a feeling it's only used by people with illegal copies of Windows or people who have internet explorer phobia.
Well, that's quite interesting. I have never seen a security problem with running Explorer just to get to Windows Update, but I have had it screw up very badly in the past. Still, nifty. Disappointing that they seem to tolerate people with pirated XP. If everyone had to pay for it, less people would use it!

(As a matter of fact, I do have explorer phobia, but not bad enough to consort with pirates. Now Flash, on the other hand...)

-- We're not the crazy ones! --