11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > Support

Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 PM

Skaboomatude has set foot on a distinguished road
Games & Trait edit help
I am entering traits into the games section of my profile but want to edit/delete a trait to put it into a more readable statement and I cant seem to figure out how to do this. any suggestions to my noobness?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
Click on the trait.
When you hold your mouse cursor over it, you should see a little "X" in the corner indicating the "Delete" feature.
You'll still be able to see the Trait, but it's much lighter, and once you browse elsewhere it'll be completely gone.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:28 AM

Skaboomatude has set foot on a distinguished road
cool beans. That fixed it - thank you.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:32 AM
gamerDNA Staff

ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community ChangeAgent is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to ChangeAgent Send a message via Yahoo to ChangeAgent Send a message via Skype™ to ChangeAgent
On the topic of traits, I just wanted to point out that in some cases conversational isn't really better. The best traits are ones that are keyword type descriptors so that other people can apply those same traits to other games. Any new trait you add goes into a moderate queue where it is looked at by an editor and either approved, renamed, or merged with closely similar traits... so a good example.

Instead of a setting of: Zombie infested city.

Use:

Setting: city
Playing against: zombies

Make sense?

| VP/Products - GamerDNA.com| Founder/Creator - 360voice.com| Blogger - Trappermarkelz.com |
Old 12-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
It's a good thing that the traits are moderated too.
This kind of feature always tends to become a mess on its own.

While typing auto-complete kicks in, so you can pick from existing traits.
(I pressed Enter after typing something that didn't exist yet, accidentally picking something incorrect from the existing list a few times.
In other words, don't press "Enter" but use your mouse to click the button.
Anyway...)

For "How it's played" there are "platforming" and "platformer", which are obviously supposed to be the same thing.
I need to pick one, but don't know which one is better.
Stuff like that should be merged, improving the user experience when being suggested different games.

Also there should maybe/probably be some kind of FAQ for this.
If a game is played against "humans", does that means other, real life humans, or in-game humans?
What if you play against bots, do you enter "bots", "AI", or "computer"?
In some games you play against computer-controlled humans, so how to enter that?
Should we use articles or not ("the clock" vs "clock")?
Some guidelines would probably be nice.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Enthusiast

Jaraj is a jewel in the community Jaraj is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to Jaraj
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangeAgent View Post
Any new trait you add goes into a moderate queue where it is looked at by an editor and either approved, renamed, or merged with closely similar traits... so a good example.

Make sense?
I understand what your saying. But I was wondering why there are ones in the dropdown list that I can't select? Shouldn't these be removed?

A couple I have come across are:
Non Player Character (NPC)
FPS/RPG

I understand why I can't select them, but I still don't understand how they are in the menu if one can use character keys.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Savant

I had to try to see what you meant.
Apparently you can only use letters and numbers to add Traits.
(I never even tried anything else myself.)
Maybe that limitation was added later, and the ones with brackets and slashes were added before that.
Either way, deleting them (or merging them with something else) should be the solution.