11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Multiplayer Strategy & RTS Games

Old 04-06-2007, 11:35 AM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
I was having a lot of trouble with one of the GDI Europe missions, and came back the next day and basically decided to do nothing but spam Mammoths...Which has basically worked for all the GDI missions since.

They aren't really that hard to get going if you have more than one harvester going, and it doesn't take long to get 15+ mammoths on the board. Once you've done that, throw a Rig into the mix and there's really nothing that can stop GDI. This is on Hard difficulty. I'd have to say that C&C3 is pretty fun but I've never played an RTS game before that was so easily won by one uber-unit (even the absurdly powerful French cavalry in AoE3 can be beaten some of the time.)

Make sure you get your economy going quickly by getting a War Factory started and create an extra harvester right away. Usually the handful of initial units you're given in the campaign is enough to hold off anything until your mammoths start rolling out.

It might be nice if they included a "skip level" feature for people who didn't want to play a certain scenario--but how's this different than any game with levels? I'm not familiar with too many RPG or FPS or adventure games that let you skip over content either. Usually if you can't complete a particular scenario then it means you're falling back on one (perhaps poor/wrong) way of doing things which means you'll simply continue to fail future missions until you figure out what's wrong.

Disruptor Beam -- Facebook RPGs
Old 04-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarinth View Post
It might be nice if they included a "skip level" feature for people who didn't want to play a certain scenario-.
Or an alternate route, I always enjoy games where I can affect the outcome by doing what I want instead of following a linear path.

Say, blow up the bridge and they'll have to pick a different way instead of walking over the bridge and killing them.
I did that on a Nod mission actually, there was a bridge on the north part of the map and one on the south, I blew up the north one and placed some anti-air units there, to the west of the bridge there was a harvesting field and to the east the GDI base. So I had safe harvesting for when my other field got empty, and then I booby trapped and mined the southern bridge.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:23 AM

Hysteria is a jewel in the community
The best advice I could ever give in an RTS single player is this. Play all the single player campagin's at the same time. What this does is 1. It keeps it fresh your not always fighting the same people thus keeping the game newer longer. Two you learn from each mission about the other sides weakens and strengths. In one GDI mission you may keep getting pounded by a certian combo of attackers from the computer that just eat you up everytime, well your next nod mission you know which combos work well against gdi. Then you can see which units/defenses the computer uses to defend/attack with and you get an immediate lesson on how to repel/or attack with gdi in the future. Another big thing you learn early on is save your game often, if your on one of those 4hr map misssion save your game every 10 mins or so, or after you complete a big objective etc. When your saving don't just save over your old game either, stage your save games so if you save then 30 seconds later the CPU comes in and blows up your base your not SOL.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I too thought C&C3 was way too easy single player. I've already finished the GDI/NOD missions on hard, and I probably only failed 3-4 missions between both. In RTS games the ones I hate are the ones that only give you 3-4 units and one 1 super unit. I like the super base building maps with massive armies slugging it out for terrain.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:17 AM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
The best advice ....but I too thought C&C3 was way too easy single player.....
Great advice. Sounds like maybe games need more levels in both directions.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:10 PM

Tjuhl is a cornerstone of the community Tjuhl is a cornerstone of the community Tjuhl is a cornerstone of the community
That's why I don't really like most RTS games any longer... imho, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with STRATEGY and TACTICS. It's all about how fast you click in recent RTS titles. ;-(
Old 04-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Newb Puller

Keerwen has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Keerwen Send a message via Yahoo to Keerwen
I ran through gdi in about three days and only had issues with the commando operations due to not being patient. I ran through it all on normal since i want to unlock the 4 missions for the scrin. Nod campaign is a different story i'm on the last missions and i have been working on it all week and part of last week. there are some missions that were just nuts to do and caused an issue. I've learned that the venoms with the spitfire laser are my best friend for the most part esp in large numbers. The bombers are a great help and the avatoars are nice but only when they have been leveled up.

So i'm on the last mission for NOD and having issues. I can take out the first three artilleries but at that point i get bum rushed at my base which takes to long to hold off. I usually lose my first refinery and harvester along with two obelisks. By the time i get that straightened out the scrin are under heavy attack and if i help them they attack me. i figure if i can capture the scrin airport i can beat off gdi easily with air power but i'm having some trouble just lasting long enough to get there. and once the artillery starts up again it makes things so much harder esp when trying to wipe out the ion cannons with nukes and bombers.

I had one nod mission that was a real pain i had to take over 16 structures over and the construction yards had to stay in tact. i learned how to use the planning stage it made life so much easier. i took over 20 buildings in one fell swoop.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:16 PM

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjuhl View Post
That's why I don't really like most RTS games any longer... imho, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with STRATEGY and TACTICS. It's all about how fast you click in recent RTS titles. ;-(
Exactly what I was trying to say.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:45 AM

Blatstatic has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
The problem is not with Command & Conquer per se, I probably have a stack of 20 game boxes I've abandoned for the same reason: The missions got too hard--eventually there was one I couldn't pass, and the game is done for me. I can only strand to bang my head against the same mission wall so many times.

Too bad because I was having a lot of fun blowing stuff up and watching the movies. But I'll never get to see the rest because I am just not a fast enough clicker even on easy.

What I don't understand is why there is not a way to bypass a mission and keep on playing, or even a ridiculously easy mode. Why must I need to have a certain level of proficiency to enjoy what I bought?
I am in the exact same boat at you. I had to stop playing because it was too difficult for me too. Its bad when you have a talk with the game, asking it why its stopping me from beating this stupid level, then resorting to swearing for half an hour at the computer screen lol. I tried to find cheats just so I can finish the game so I could so the story, but I couldn't find any

I wish there was a story mode where you could see the whole story movies.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:59 PM

In the end I had to have my husband play the level that was blocking me. His observations on my play were that I spent too much time not doing anything just watching my units.

He insists that even hard levels of the game were too easy.

My conclusion is that both a super-easy and a super hard mode should be added, along with the ability to skip a mission.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:10 PM

Droniac has set foot on a distinguished road
Hmm well I played through the final mission of the game a while ago... I'd have to agree with hard mode being too easy. The final mission of the game was a joke - completed it in one go and it felt like a beginner's mission all the way through. Occasionally the bonus objectives would prove somewhat of a challenge (mainly due to their timing: "have your commando blow up the nod avatar" - 2 seconds before the only nod avatar blows up from 20 mammoth tank rails) - but otherwise it was largely smooth sailing.

Ah well, hopefully they'll add a "beginner" setting and "hardcore" setting to the upcoming expansion/sequel - which is guaranteed to follow.