11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 12-01-2006, 12:04 AM
Voice of Reason

Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via Skype™ to Cleric
Need a Software Guru
But I didn't really see any other relevant place to post this.

Probably along with Nightfall, I'm thinking about getting either Macromedia Flash or Adobe Fireworks 8. I've always wanted to have Flash to make awesome intros and addons to websites, but I'm also seeing now that Fireworks is a pretty awesome piece of software to have for graphics development.

Which would you recommend me getting? I'm probably not going to be making entire sites with Flash - just intros, and I already have Adobe PhotoShop CS1 and JASC Paint Shop Pro 7.

Which one to choose from?
Old 12-01-2006, 02:44 AM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
Flash will do what you're looking for, and also has the benefit of being amongst the most marketable skillsets... And Adobe is continuing to really doing some great things with Flash moving forward.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Voice of Reason

Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community
Cool beans. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:37 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
I recommend the whole Studio 8 package from Macromedia. It contains Flash Pro, Fireworks 8 and Dreamweaver along with some other stuff. I do my part of GuildCafe development in DreamWeaver and Adobe CS2 Photoshop. Another crucial tool is CaptureWiz. Macromedia stuff is awesome. I have only one complaint...

BUNDLE IN FREEHAND!

I can't really justify buying Freehand when I have CS2 with Illustrator, but I am way better with Freehand and wish I had Freehand's tools when I really want to use vectors. Fortunately this is only when forced by Tarinth to do prepress and presentation graphics. Ewww.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Voice of Reason

I was thinking about getting the bundle, but I already have a few software titles that the bundle will probably overlap. I've got PhotoShop CS1, Paint Shop Pro 7, and Dreamweaver 8.

I'd have to check to see what the bundle includes, so I'm not sure. If it has PhotoShop CS2, then maybe. :P

Old 12-04-2006, 07:17 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
If I had to live with just one production tool, it would be Photoshop CS2...I'd use Notepad for everything else
Old 12-15-2006, 05:50 AM

Blanco has set foot on a distinguished road
The Photoshop CS3 beta comes out later this morning (the 15th). I guess all it takes to use the beta is a serial number confirming ownership of another Adobe suite. Unfortunately, I don't have any serial #'s to use to get the beta for myself - though I may try the two-day limited trial to play around in it. Anyone else planning to check it out?

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pres...Photoshop.html
Old 12-15-2006, 06:41 AM
Voice of Reason

Bah. Then why would I spend money on CS2 if CS3 is on the verge of coming out anyway? :P

Old 12-19-2006, 02:22 PM

peter is community member of note
Spend money .. on software .... O.o