11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

Old 01-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Found this info useful, just wish more people would take the advice.
Playing Cox recently, and the amount of blind invites I get is stupid, I had to go anon just to clear my screen of countinual invitations.

And that was with my Dominator. It was worse with my defender (healer). Created him, logged in, did the tutorial, hit the streets.... 10 second later
"Izemanz has invited you to a supergroup"
"Leobo has invited you to a supergroup"
"Hellboyz has invited you to a supergroup"
"Ishtar has invited you to a supergroup"
"Izemanz has invited you to a supergroup"
"Leobo has invited you to a supergroup"
"Kurgraz has invited you to a supergroup"

Joined one randomly to stop the invites, next it was PM's to say "ditch them, there lame, join us" Time spent in game, 20 mins, total time playing 2. Then quit out and went back to my Dominator. I tend only to guild with mate when were all in the same game, and try not to guild when i'm on my own.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:57 PM

Aearduin has much to be proud of
hi i'm still kinda new to being a guild leader here. basically i was kinda voluntarily shoved into the position when my former guild leader went on a supposedly two week hiatus and still wasn't back a month later so we ended up moving the guild because no one had been left with the ability to make the guild function. so far so good with the new guild tho . my main problem i've really had with the guild this far is my continuing struggle to get my members to go to the website i set up. so i guess my question is how important do people think it is for there to be a website? i would personally like it if i could get my members to go to it because it would make communication much easier since i can't always be on when other players are on and the MOD is only so long and not everyone looks at it. does anyone have any suggestions/opinions on this?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
You should probably mention: no matter how tasteful your guild spam is, you might want to use a dedicated guild spam account, because half the players on the system are going to /ignore that account for life.

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 02-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Opinionated Gamer

Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aearduin View Post
hi i'm still kinda new to being a guild leader here. basically i was kinda voluntarily shoved into the position when my former guild leader went on a supposedly two week hiatus and still wasn't back a month later so we ended up moving the guild because no one had been left with the ability to make the guild function. so far so good with the new guild tho . my main problem i've really had with the guild this far is my continuing struggle to get my members to go to the website i set up. so i guess my question is how important do people think it is for there to be a website? i would personally like it if i could get my members to go to it because it would make communication much easier since i can't always be on when other players are on and the MOD is only so long and not everyone looks at it. does anyone have any suggestions/opinions on this?
It depends. If your guild gets large and/or organized, there's going to be a need for some kind of out-of-band venue to talk and plan. You'll know when this has happened because members will start to ask for it.

On the other hand, if your guild is small and/or very casual, your members are going to think it is more of a hassle than a useful tool, especially if you have a policy that "all members have to register on the web site". If they have real reasons to remain with the guild, they'll put up with it -- but if not, expect some "meh"s and some tough decisions of whether to boot people who don't bother to register after all.

But there's a third scenario. Start the guild as a web site, rather than in the game. This is mostly viable for upcoming games, for obvious reasons, but it ensures a community around the web site from day one and serves as a good springboard.

PS: Mr. Paragraph is your friend. If you invite him and his friend Mr. Case in, you too can have a legible post. Especially since you're already partying with Mr. Punctuation.
'till you run out of cake.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:38 PM

juergenvh has much to be proud of
I think there is also the point of managing expectations. Clearly state what you offer to and what you would expect from a potential new member. It gives them an idea what they would be getting into...

While you can say that

"Guild XYZ offers events, expects loyal and active users"

it still leaves more than enough potential for desaster. I'd prefer to actually give them some samples on the events, like
"Tournaments
2on2 Internal League
Quizz & Puzzles
Dungeon Runs
Taxi-ing, Running and Levelling"
and specifically state that (as an example)
"daily ingame and forum activity,
Teamspeak / Vent presence,
absence reporting,
PvP times Mo-Fr 19:30 - 22:00 GMT
Guildwide Weekend Events"
are expected from the users. Also, it is nice to know if you are dealing with guild consiting mainly of youngsters, still in school, as they will most likely have different online times, interests and focus, if not maturity than people going to work regularily. Is there an age limit ?

In general, whatever is "special" as in "separates us from the crowd" should be mentioned; I saw a guild called "Shards of a broken Crown", so i would expect them to be Raymond Feist's Midkamia Saga Fans. Does that has an impact on how they behave, what they do, how they play the game ?

On the other hand, you don't want to overload them with information, but everything which is important to you as a recruiter should be on that shopping list.

my 5 cents
Old 02-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Enthusiast

Zedar has set foot on a distinguished road
Best guild advertising available... if you can get it!

In-game billboards!

We won a contest in Anarchy Online, so we have a spot on the billboard rotation there. It's generated tons of interest for us and we've had many people list it as one of the reasons they looked into our guild.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

Zedar has set foot on a distinguished road
Necro ftw!!

Just wanted to add that we won another contest with our awesome graphics guy - Sefus! This time it was from AoC Stratics!

http://ageofconan.stratics.com/?content=28114#28583

It pays to have an art department!

For those too lazy to click...

Old 08-14-2008, 01:59 PM

CapnbArMy has much to be proud of
The best recruiting method is to spam them till they join...or die...
Joke btw :P

Set Sail And Conquer!