11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 07-12-2007, 01:13 PM

Jica is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Jica Send a message via AIM to Jica Send a message via MSN to Jica
My parents have two similar machines to your first one, and Vista runs horribly on both. Graphics are chunky and it takes 3-6 minutes to load from boot.

I figured it might be a driver problem, but so far I haven't been able to solve it. It's whats keeping me from upgrading my own machine pretty much.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
I have many machines. All very modern multi-core system.

Vista boots the fastest (under 1 minute), followed closely by my MacBook Pro running OSX 10.4 and my win2k servers. The slowest at 1-2 minutes are my XP boxes and Linux boxes (Fedora 5,6 and Ubuntu)

The ability of a user to manage computer issues is definitely a function of their experience and knowledge, but most vista troubleshooting follows the same basic pattern as XP troubleshooting. With the large base of Vista machines that we now have depoyed and functioning correctly, I have somewhat lost interest in debating this issue. Quite frankly, my experience does not agree with the negative reports that I hear. I've been through this upgrade cycle so many time and its the same song and dance each time.

My advice, use what makes you happy.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:59 AM

lambda has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
I have hated every moment of Vista since buying new gaming computer in a hurry forced me to use it.

Works
  • Guild Wars
  • Vanguard
Won't Work
  • Ventrilo
  • World of Warcraft (Blizzard blames my router, but every XP on my LAN can play WoW)
Sorta Works
  • Logitech SetPoint (for gaming mouse) Mouse speed changes for no reason while playing
  • Nostromo (Belkin doesn't officially support Vista the SOBs). I found one of their developers had created a Vista friendly driver. Some keys stop working while playing...reboot fixes.
What has helped me alot is disabling the confirmations on everything I do. Also, when you try to run a program and it doesn't work, right click it and hit "Run as Administrator". For some reason, even though my account is the admin of the PC, I have had to do that for a few programs to work.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:39 AM

RabidCrab is community member of note
Send a message via ICQ to RabidCrab Send a message via AIM to RabidCrab Send a message via MSN to RabidCrab Send a message via Yahoo to RabidCrab Send a message via Skype™ to RabidCrab
Kamujin, I have Vista and XP on dual boot and I think my experiences will help everyone choose between XP and Vista, since I do it every day (Vista for work, XP for gaming).

Here's my rig at the moment:

AMD FX-53
GeForce 8800GTX superclocked
2 gigs of RAM

With the DX10 gfx card, Vista was a natural upgrade...right?
Wow was I all kinds of wrong. When I tried gaming on Vista, I got a little over half the framerate I get on XP, and I quickly understood why.
The problem had absolutely nothing to do with Vista, and it had everything to do with my CPU. Vista utilizes resources very well, but it needs at least a dual core system to bring out its true gaming potential, and that's why I have to use XP.

Anyone who wants Vista, remember to get a dual core CPU (look for the deals Intel will be having later this year), at least 2 gigs of ram (It's so cheap nowadays), and at least an 8 series GFX card (they come as cheap as 180 bucks).

And all Vista gamers out there need to disable superfetch. Go to the start menu, click run, type "services.msc" without the quotes, and disable superfetch. Superfetch is designed for businesses because it pre-loads your most commonly used applications into your RAM, making the loading time literally instant, but it eats that RAM when you're gaming too.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:15 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
About two weeks ago, FiOS was out to our place installing on demand TV (which we don't watch) and when they did, they put in a new router. We all had to change our TCPIP settings. Anyway, suddenly Firefox started working for me. So I checked WoW and that had begun to work too.

So Blizzard tech were right that the problem was my writer. Too bad they could not tell me what or how to fix. Nor coukd anyone else. Anyway, I am less unhappy with the Vista machine now.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidCrab View Post
Kamujin, I have Vista and XP on dual boot and I think my experiences will help everyone choose between XP and Vista, since I do it every day (Vista for work, XP for gaming).

Here's my rig at the moment:

AMD FX-53
GeForce 8800GTX superclocked
2 gigs of RAM

With the DX10 gfx card, Vista was a natural upgrade...right?
Wow was I all kinds of wrong. When I tried gaming on Vista, I got a little over half the framerate I get on XP, and I quickly understood why.
The problem had absolutely nothing to do with Vista, and it had everything to do with my CPU. Vista utilizes resources very well, but it needs at least a dual core system to bring out its true gaming potential, and that's why I have to use XP.

Anyone who wants Vista, remember to get a dual core CPU (look for the deals Intel will be having later this year), at least 2 gigs of ram (It's so cheap nowadays), and at least an 8 series GFX card (they come as cheap as 180 bucks).

And all Vista gamers out there need to disable superfetch. Go to the start menu, click run, type "services.msc" without the quotes, and disable superfetch. Superfetch is designed for businesses because it pre-loads your most commonly used applications into your RAM, making the loading time literally instant, but it eats that RAM when you're gaming too.
These are good points and I 100% agree. Vista is a resource hog and you should not be installing it on older hardware. Every OS version uses more resources then the previous one. Vista even more so then most.

Also, framerate problems under vista are most likely a driver issue, at the end of the day, you can usually use your XP drivers if the vista ones suck. At this point, I don't know of any drivers that still are exhibiting serious performance issues, but my knowledge is clearly going to be limited to drivers that I use.

Having said that, most games do most of their work in a single thread. Thus on a modern dual core machine, vista's idle load is not a factor. On my machines, I don't even usually pin one CPU as the GPU does so much of the processing these days.

I have to admit, that I probably made a bad assumption in thinking that gamers on this forum were mostly using high end machines and tended to be OS savy. IE, capable of doing basic troubleshooting themselves. If you are using older hardware or have trouble solving problems that you can't just GOOGLE all the time, I will be the first to admit that Vista is a bad choice. However, if you have a newer high end machine and can work through minor issues, then Vista is a no-brainer IMO.

Between the improvements to the thread scheduler and networking stack, our vista boxes are outperforming our XP boxes for many of the latency critical apps the we build for my company. Additionally, I find the framerate for my games to be roughly the same as my XP builds.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
About two weeks ago, FiOS was out to our place installing on demand TV (which we don't watch) and when they did, they put in a new router. We all had to change our TCPIP settings. Anyway, suddenly Firefox started working for me. So I checked WoW and that had begun to work too.

So Blizzard tech were right that the problem was my writer. Too bad they could not tell me what or how to fix. Nor coukd anyone else. Anyway, I am less unhappy with the Vista machine now.
For the record, I was also in the "its your router camp". Sadly, I couldn't remember the convoluted steps that I had to take when the same thing happened to me. Sorry.