11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 03-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
From a technology standpoint, you're better off waiting a year anyways. I will most likely be putting together a new PC around then to keep up with DX10, SLI setups, and 64-bit processing. Right now support is limited, so owning Vista and gaming do not mix.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 04-01-2007, 01:48 AM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
If your buying a PC now, I think its a HUGE mistake to install XP on it.

If you were not planning to buy a PC until next year, then your not really waiting.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamujin View Post
If your buying a PC now, I think its a HUGE mistake to install XP on it.

If you were not planning to buy a PC until next year, then your not really waiting.
My PC is 5 years old now and I had wanted to build a new one, but right now that would be more costly due to Vista, DX10, and limited support for both. nVidia just released a new driver to fix their 8800's (one of the few gfx cards that support DX10) in SLI setups and most gaming PC builders don't even offer a Vista solution; it's just a mess right now.

So yes, I am waiting.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 04-03-2007, 01:05 AM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Vista is running on DX9.0c right now. Its going to be a long time until DX10 matters. And quite frankly, I am not super interested in buying the first generation of geometry shader enabled cards.

I guess your alot happier with XP then I was. I really thought XP was junk. I am never going back.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community

People should not install Vista until a service pack comes out. Too many issues and alot of hardware and software companies even refuse to support it.

Vista is built on the belief that people are idiots and need to be hand-held and spoon-fed. This idiot wants an operating system that's as streamlined as possible without extra crap being forced down my throat. The only reason why I would upgrade is because I work in IT and I have to support the occasional fool who installs it.
Last edited by Roxianna : 04-08-2007 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Embed the YouTube link
Old 04-08-2007, 11:42 AM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeZzy View Post
People should not install Vista until a service pack comes out. Too many issues and alot of hardware and software companies even refuse to support it.
LOL Pezzy. So sadly true hilarious video.

The problem for me is that I need a new game computer fast (Was in tournament when old one fried) and all there was were Vista Machines. I never imagined the nightmare it would be--right now I have the security guy in the video turned off. I am in a holding pattern now as I wait for a service pack.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:

Vista is built on the belief that people are idiots and need to be hand-held and spoon-fed. This idiot wants an operating system that's as streamlined as possible without extra crap being forced down my throat. The only reason why I would upgrade is because I work in IT and I have to support the occasional fool who installs it.
1) On my Mac and Linux boxes, I get prompted for my password every time the system needs root/admin access. You'll realize how stupid this is the first time you accidentally IM your password because you didn't realize which box had focus. Vista version of SELinux is better for this reason.

2) Vista is better then XP. Sorry, just is. The OS is based on the Windows 2003 server source. Windows 2003 has already proven itself to be an extremely stable OS.

3) The networking kernal is rebuilt and outperforms the XP networking stack. We've tested this ourselves. It also beats our Fedora stacks too.

4) The boot time is around 30 seconds on a modern machine. XP can't touch this.

5) The sleep feature works far better then XP's suspend / hibernate system.

6) Built in Full System Backups are also far superior to XP's crappy backup system.

7) The shell (which is now 3d) is also alot more stable. XP's shell was notorious for getting locked up due to bad 3rd party hooks.

8) Network resource links are alot nicer then XP's links and mapped drives. One really nice improvement is that network resource links do not slow your boot like they do under XP.

Sorry, but I think its foolish to parrot some "wait for SP1" line. Vista is better then XP today. If they were the same, I'd buy into your "wait till SP1" rehashed line. They are not. Only a fool would buy XP today with Vista on the market.

Only a fool would advise someone to buy an XP machine now then upgrade to Vista at SP1. The average user will find it alot simpler to start with Vista now then simply install the SP when its released.

Honestly, I heard the same arguements about XP. It was sour grapes based on ignorance. XP displaced windows 2000. Vista will displace XP. IMO, Vista is more of an obvious upgrade then XP was.

4 things I would advise for Vista users with good systems.

1) Disable the Windows Search service.
2) Disable the SuperFetch service.
3) Disable the ReadyBoost service.

If you have a high end machine, these don't help and they increase disk contention.

4) Don't use windows mail. Its just Outlook express with the emails and contacts saved as single files. This is cool for 5 minutes with Windows Search enabled, then you realize the client is HORRIBLY slow. I recommend Thunderbird which is lightning fast.
Last edited by Kamujin : 04-08-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
My XP is perfectly stable and runs everything faster than a Vista install would. Search around the internet and you'll see cases of people who are unable to comprehend why their internet and file sharing software is so slow on Vista, and some ISPs refuse to support them. Some well-known games will not run on Vista.

About a year ago I upgraded my machine and put three primary partitions, along with logical drives, on new 320G hard drive. This will allow me to multiple-boot my computer and that's what people should do if they can.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:07 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
My XP is perfectly stable and runs everything faster than a Vista install would. Search around the internet and you'll see cases of people who are unable to comprehend why their internet and file sharing software is so slow on Vista, and some ISPs refuse to support them. Some well-known games will not run on Vista.

About a year ago I upgraded my machine and put three primary partitions, along with logical drives, on new 320G hard drive. This will allow me to multiple-boot my computer and that's what people should do if they can.
XP's kernel is reasonably stable, but the shell isn't. Your not going to convince me that you don't get lockups occasionally, because I've been around the block too many times to believe that.

I personally prefer VMWare virtualization to multi-booting. My old XP machine lives on my Vista notebook's HD as a VM. I mostly use it to test for XP compatability or to install something that I don't want cluttering up my main OS. IE some 1 off SDK that I need for a project.

The one problem with virtualization is the lack of DirectX support above version 8 (no shaders either). I am pretty sure thats just a matter of time. Until then, you need a Windows based OS as the host OS.

When I am coding, it's pretty common for me to be running a Vista 64 bit host with 32 bit XP in a guest virtual machine and Fedora Core 6 64 bit in another guest virtual machine. Aside from the disk contention during startup, they all run smoothly. Even with the disk contention, they boot faster then many of my bare metal installs of the same OS. (better hardware helps)
Old 06-01-2007, 01:16 PM

Aseenus is an unknown quantity at this point
it sux man... im using it now and im trying to force myself to use it coz i dont wanna go and buy xp again >_>