11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 03-24-2007, 01:43 AM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric View Post
A friend of mine got a new laptop, and it crashed on him about every 10 minutes. Blue screen of death prevailed.
If thats true, smart money would say its a hardware problem, not software.

Probably bad memory. Pull out 1 of the DIMM's and try it, if it still crashes, pull out the other DIMM and repeat.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Voice of Reason

Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via Skype™ to Cleric
I'm pretty sure he had 2 gigs. Anyway, I know he fixed it somehow. One day it just stopped crashing.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:12 AM
Meatshield On Deck!

be0wulfe has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to be0wulfe Send a message via MSN to be0wulfe Send a message via Yahoo to be0wulfe Send a message via Skype™ to be0wulfe
Vista suffers from poor driver support and really needing a PC not older than 2 years, 3 on the outside if it's namebrand.
OTOH, I can't wait for Vista SP1 when it'll actually be usable\rocking.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:53 AM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by be0wulfe View Post
Vista suffers from poor driver support and really needing a PC not older than 2 years, 3 on the outside if it's namebrand.
OTOH, I can't wait for Vista SP1 when it'll actually be usable\rocking.
Have you tried vista?

I mean anyone who has knows you can just use your XP drivers most of the time if vista drivers aren't out yet.

What feature are you waiting for SP1 for? WinFS?

Eh, Its your choice bro, but our Vista machines are very stable and far more usable then XP and its buggy as hell shell.

XP was NOT that good IMO and I was glad to be done with it. The file sharing sucked badly and the shell lockups were frustrating beyond description.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:08 AM
Meatshield On Deck!

be0wulfe has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to be0wulfe Send a message via MSN to be0wulfe Send a message via Yahoo to be0wulfe Send a message via Skype™ to be0wulfe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamujin View Post
Have you tried vista?

I mean anyone who has knows you can just use your XP drivers most of the time if vista drivers aren't out yet.

What feature are you waiting for SP1 for? WinFS?

Eh, Its your choice bro, but our Vista machines are very stable and far more usable then XP and its buggy as hell shell.

XP was NOT that good IMO and I was glad to be done with it. The file sharing sucked badly and the shell lockups were frustrating beyond description.
No, I'm talking out of my sphincter.

Of course I've tried it, and it was hit and miss. 80% of the time on most of the machines I (and others in my circle) tried it and uninstalled it

SP1 will bring enough fixes an patches that it'll be more usuable than it is now.

But like you said, it's your choice
Old 03-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast

Dude, I am sorry, but we have 0 machines that it does not work on.

The only thing thats not 100% is the 64bit support which is still MUCH better then the 64bit support in XP.

Give me an example of a miss?
Old 03-30-2007, 11:38 PM

altofaz has much to be proud of
Question Vista troubles with WoW
I have a problem running WoW on vista. I can log in just fine and play just fine for about 5 minutes but then my frame rates drop drasticly for a little bit then go back. It repeats this cycle the entire time and got so bad that I switched back to XP. I had trouble with Ventrilo as well, it seems to lag a lot but with XP works fine. When I called Microsoft about these problems they tried everything to fix it, and I was actually suprised at the service I got from them. I'm beginning to think maybe it's the version of Vista I have because everyone says Vista runs WoW fine but they don't give the version they're using. I got the Vista business version any feedback I could get for fixes would be great. I'll list my PC specs as well.

Amd X2 dual core 3800+ 2.0GHz
2 GB of Ram
BFG Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT OC (256 MB)
Old 03-31-2007, 12:23 AM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamujin View Post
Have you tried vista?

Oh really. Vista comes with psychic awareness now?

WoW and Ventrilo still don't work for me. I don't want to become a Vista expert. When I bought a Gaming PC, I expected to be able to play games like WoW without trouble.

So for now my mantra is just say NO to Vista if you possibly can.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:37 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
There are alot of ways to make your machine look and feel like Vista without the headache of driver issues, compatibility, and bugs. One example is widgets that mimic the Vista desktop on XP. There's a reason why large companies are generally behind one or two Windows OS. . .

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 03-31-2007, 04:25 AM
Enthusiast

Vista is not just better because of the looks.

The Vista kernel is based on the Windows 2003 Server source code and is significantly better.

Additionally, the networking stack has been completely rebuilt and behaves alot better then the XP network stack.

Lastly, all of the 65nm Intel Chips (read Core Duo 2) support EM64T aka Intel64. This allows you to run 64bit or 32bit versions of the OS. Personally, I am partial to the 64bit versions at this time. Even though alot of code is still only available in 32bit versions, your kernel as well as many JIT'd code can benefit from the 64bit architecture.

The driver support for 64bit Vista OR XP is not as good as it is for the 32bit versions, so its more of a headache then the 32bit install.

I prefer the Vista Business version myself.

As for the framerate problem, I had a similiar problem with my 7000 series card in my last Alienware notebook (running XP). Drove me nutts and I could never get it to stop. The Alienware was a peice of crap and I got rid of it though.