11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 03-20-2007, 02:54 AM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Vista and Gaming
Sorry, I know I am not supposed to say this, but Vista is alot cooler then the hype machine is letting on.

For the record, my current hardware lineup.

Dell M90 Core Duo 2 (4 gigs ram) Vista x64

Macbook Pro 17" (2 gigs ram) OS X 10.4.9

Alienware M51 (4 gigs ram) Fedora Core 6 (64 bit)

All are cool machines, but the Vista Box pwns all. I know I am supposed to talk about how cool Mac is, but honestly, its a bunch of hype and I am pretty under-impressed with the whole thing. The Fedora machine has its issues, but gets more respect from me for some reason.

All of the games I've tried run perfectly on my Vista box. This includes SWG, WoW, EQ2, and Vanguard. Its the fastest booting of any of them.

I will conceed that it is a memory hog, but considering my OS X box goes 6 gigs into the swap file just booting up, somehow I can't bitch that much.

So anyhow, I know we are all supposed to say how much MS is the debil, but I am really happy with Vista and will never go back to XP. I was never a huge fan of XP. Quite frankly, I thought Win2k was a better OS then XP.

BTW, if your jealous of my swanky notebook collection, if it makes you feel better, I am old, bald, and cranky.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast

Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Ama-Ebi Send a message via MSN to Ama-Ebi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamujin View Post
BTW, if your jealous of my swanky notebook collection, if it makes you feel better, I am old, bald, and cranky.
You're funny! LOL

Seriously, thanks for the info on Vista. I really haven't heard much about it other than it's supposed to be good for gaming. I don't understand alot of the tech stuff. From what I understand, it's faster in loading games/fps. Anything else? Is this issue alone the reason to switch to Vista? How does it work with other types of programs (Photoshop)? Can you use older versions of MS Office,etc? I do realize alot depends on the hardware you have as well. Thanks for the tips.

Ama-Ebi Unagi Zahira Daja
Old 03-20-2007, 08:04 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
I have hated every moment of Vista since buying new gaming computer in a hurry forced me to use it.

Works
  • Guild Wars
  • Vanguard
Won't Work
  • Ventrilo
  • World of Warcraft (Blizzard blames my router, but every XP on my LAN can play WoW)
Sorta Works
  • Logitech SetPoint (for gaming mouse) Mouse speed changes for no reason while playing
  • Nostromo (Belkin doesn't officially support Vista the SOBs). I found one of their developers had created a Vista friendly driver. Some keys stop working while playing...reboot fixes.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
Logitech SetPoint (for gaming mouse) Mouse speed changes for no reason while playing
I have that problem to, and I don't use Vista, maybe it's a driver issue?
Old 03-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
WoW works on Vista. Period.

There is a weird issue with WoW through firewall routers. Its not a Vista issue, its a WoW issue. It authenticates, but won't let you into the world servers. I know you've probably checked your port forwarding and ingress/egress rules likes 50 times. For the life of me, I can't remember what the fix was and I DID search my previous posts for the answer. Sorry.

Yeah, Office 2002-2007 run fine on Vista. I personally think Outlook 2007 sucks though and highly recommend Thunderbird.

I don't use Photoshop (forgive me, I am a coder, not an artist)
Old 03-21-2007, 12:39 AM

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamujin View Post
Its not a Vista issue, its a WoW issue. It authenticates, but won't let you into the world servers. I know you've probably checked your port forwarding and ingress/egress rules likes 50 times. For the life of me, I can't remember what the fix was and I DID search my previous posts for the answer. Sorry.
Yes, this is the exact problem.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
I have that problem to, and I don't use Vista, maybe it's a driver issue?

I think what is happening is that although I have all buttons mapped to key board equivalents, it randomly decides to go with the default on certain buttons and one of those is sensativity adjustment.

How to fix I don't know.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:14 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
Yes, this is the exact problem.
I am truely sorry that I can't remember what the fix was. What I do remember is that it was very silly and not intuative. I searched the WoW forums and I just can't find the post with the solution in it.

What I would say is that at worst case you could reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure it. My memory is that the fix was literally turning something off, then back on again. I just can't remember what setting it was.

While I was taking a shower, I remembered 1 part of the fix. You have you statically assign an IP address to your PC's NIC (Something different from the one assigned by DHCP) then you turn something off on the router (I still forget what), you log in to the game 1 time, then you put everything back how it was.
Last edited by Kamujin : 03-21-2007 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Newb Puller

Keerwen has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Keerwen Send a message via Yahoo to Keerwen
vista hmmm still debating on that one.

vent worked fine for me both as a server and with client. Had afew friends connect in to from with in and without my network at home with no issues.

vanguard worked pretty well for me but i had quit wow by then so not sure if it would or not. Tho i have noticed that i crash and have far more issues in xp with vanguard then i did when using vista.

EQ2 had no issues for me with vista.

my logitech g5 works perfect with vista but had an issue with my nostromo and ms sidewinder which is discontinued from microsoft.

One game i had issues with for sure was sid meir's railroads. any time i built track it would crash. if i paused the game it would work fine for building track.

my load out on the pc for vista is
amd 3800+ 64bit (not dual)
2gb of ram
nvidia 7800gtx
on board and x-fi sound cards
320gb sata 2 seagate drive

I have a drive with the 64bit version of vista loaded and will take a look at it maybe this weekend for some other games. Have to clean out my older 250gb ide drive
Old 03-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Voice of Reason

Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via Skype™ to Cleric
A friend of mine got a new laptop, and it crashed on him about every 10 minutes. Blue screen of death prevailed.