11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 02-21-2007, 07:09 AM

Lan has much to be proud of
Computer Noob Here ><
Alright, basically i know nothing about computers.. to the point of not knowing how to check what i have apparently... this is what ive found
under system properties

Pentium 4 cpu 2.80GHz
2.79 Ghz, 1.50GB of RAM

Nvidia GeForce 6600
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Ugh, thats all i can find in this damn box ><... Basically Im moving to a far off place where computers are not cheap, and i want to either upgrade this... or most likely buy a new computer.. for as cheap as possible, but that will play Vanguard:SoH at optimal, or as close as possible too it heh.

So the Question is, Is there anyway to fix my computer ? and if not, what is the cheapest new computer that will play Vanguard :P
Old 02-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Voice of Reason

Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via Skype™ to Cleric
Your Pentium 4 2.80 GHz is fine. I have a Pentium 4 3.00GHz, and it works well for most anything.

I'm pretty sure you have 2.00 GB of RAM because I do, and for some reason my comp is reading it as 1.50 GB RAM (it once read it as 2.0 GB). If not, then I do suggest upping your RAM to at least 2.0GB.

Sound isn't really an issue with me. I don't exactly need subwoofers to listen to in-game music. :P

As far as graphics go, you'll need a card that will last you through most anything (up to a certain point in time, anyways). I have an ATI Radeon (256 MB) x1950 PRO. It's $250 at Best Buy, and should last you 3-4 years. In this case, it'll definately play Vanguard at max quality.

So, all in all, my suggestion would probably get another 1GB stick of RAM and perhaps upgrading your graphics card. Other than that, you should be fine.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Enthusiast

SpugNothuson has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to SpugNothuson Send a message via Skype™ to SpugNothuson
I also have an nVidia 6600 and it is top of the list for a replacement.

My system is similar to yours and I'm pretty sure it's my Graphics Card that is pulling me down at the moment.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:21 AM

tof69 has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to tof69
/agree

Your gf card is the limiting element, you don't really need to change anything else at the moment.
Of course you can try to have a much better computer but the price is exponential...
Old 02-21-2007, 11:43 AM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Same as what everyone else says. Upgrade the video card first, then go up to 2 gigs (or more ) of memory.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:37 PM

Lan has much to be proud of
Alright, thx for the info, will put it to use :P much appreciated.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
I have a 6200 and i am buying a ATI X800 XT PE on ebay for 130 bucks should last me a year or 2...i am very limited on my upgrading however because i am running AGP still and instead of over hauling my entire MoBo I would like a cheap upgrade, what do you think? the X800 got great reviews on the VGA charts on tims

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Old 02-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast

SpugNothuson has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to SpugNothuson Send a message via Skype™ to SpugNothuson
Just had a quick look at the ATI X800 XT PE and I must say, as an avid nVidia user, that it looks IMPRESSIVE for an AGP.

Never thought I'd say that.

It's got 16 pixel pipelines, which will help... a lot. And the speeds of the benchmarks are hugely impressive too. $130 is a steal mate. Excellenet find!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
i lost it forgot to check back during close of auction it went for 142....:cry:

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Old 02-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Newb Puller

Keerwen has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Keerwen Send a message via Yahoo to Keerwen
If you are acutally listening to any sound off of your computer then i would suggest getting a creative labs x-fi card. the amount of resources it takes off the cpu is a big dirfference. But yah what evyerone said do a video card and some more ram.