11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > Support

Old 02-27-2007, 01:53 PM

peter is community member of note
So hard to connect
For a social networking site the organization of the forums really stinks. Get rid of the forums for less than 20 posts (Mobile mmos?, virtual life?)

make a standard general forum people can browse, make a offtopic forum to catch the spam, get rid of the "tag" noise forum. Yes this is hip and new and the web 2.0 thing but having a forum spammed with tags is never a good idea.

personally that is why i don't browse or stay online here, great idea, bad implementation.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast

SpugNothuson has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to SpugNothuson Send a message via Skype™ to SpugNothuson
I have to say that I disagree with you.

I fail to see how removing the Forums with less than 20 posts makes the site any more organised, they only take up a minimal amount of space.

Hodge Podge would be the place to go for Off Topic discussions (maybe not instantly obvious, but like most forums it is the last in the list and failing that the decription gives it away).

I have also used the "tag" noise forum from time to time. It can be an easy way of keeping your own tags up to date, I'm not automatically tagged with CtrlAltDel-online as it figures in no part of my automatically generated personal space, after seeing it appear it jogged my memory and I am now tagged with it.

I fail to see how 3 forums can ruin your time here, or am I just not understanding you problem and have grabbed the wrong end of the stick?
Old 02-27-2007, 04:44 PM
The Pwn Ranger

Charbroil has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Charbroil Send a message via MSN to Charbroil Send a message via Yahoo to Charbroil
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
For a social networking site the organization of the forums really stinks. Get rid of the forums for less than 20 posts (Mobile mmos?, virtual life?)

make a standard general forum people can browse, make a offtopic forum to catch the spam, get rid of the "tag" noise forum. Yes this is hip and new and the web 2.0 thing but having a forum spammed with tags is never a good idea.

personally that is why i don't browse or stay online here, great idea, bad implementation.
When I come to Guild Cafe, I immediatly click on "New Posts" to see whats doing... and if I have a more specific interest I'll post or read in the appropriate area... I think there are a lot of good topics here... some are obscure, some more "of the moment", but it's a good mix. I think these topics get people to open up about themselves and share what makes them similar to other players or in some cases what makes them stand out in the crowd, and as far as the topic of tagging... The thing I like about tagging is that is gives people more of a personality... I've made some new on-line friends based on those tags...

Other than a few tweaks here and there, I like the format and I wouldn't change much about it.

However...

if there are things you think could be better... let Roxi or Tarinth know... from what I've gathered of both of them, they are always entertaining new ideas...

Old 02-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast

Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Ama-Ebi Send a message via MSN to Ama-Ebi
I disagree with the idea of getting rid of small forums as well. You never know when there is some obscure topic you may enjoy/wish to discuss in a smaller forum.

I also use the 'new posts' feature as well and find that helpful.

I'm not sure if this is available here, but what about being able to subscribe to certain posts/bookmarks or whatever you call it? That may cut down on time spent searching for the forum you wish to access.

I am thankful that Roxi and Tarinth have this site for us. Maybe the original poster would get a little further with a little politeness. "Please" can go a long way.

Ama-Ebi Unagi Zahira Daja
Old 02-27-2007, 11:27 PM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
Making the forum display list and the "New Posts" option more compact is probably the direction we'll take with this in the future.

Disruptor Beam -- Facebook RPGs