11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge

Old 12-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Founding Member

Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Would you buy a diamond?
I'm curious to hear the current views out there. With all we now know about the diamond trade, would you still consider buying a diamond?

We all know the "good stuff" about them, but what about the other side of the story?

(I'm including links to the following articles for those who may not know the other side of the debate, not to attempt to sway opinions in the matter. I seriously just want to hear individual opinions.)

http://archive.salon.com/business/fe...9/27/diamonds/

http://www.dashes.com/anil/2003/01/20/diamonds_are_fo

(this link has some mild obscenities)
http://www.blacktable.com/bruno031030.htm

http://www.fguide.org/Bulletin/conflictdiamonds.htm?cont=1

Most know the other side, but just in case:

http://www.diamondfacts.org/

http://www.zalecorp.com/corporate/co...e.aspx?pid=108

Old 12-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Must Be Evil

Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
A good friend of mine did not want her fiance to spend all that money on a diamond ring, plus she wasn't a big fan of diamonds to begin with. they had her engagement ring custom made with her favorite stone - I think a Citrine with little diamond chips or some such surrounding it - and it's freaking gorgeous.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:04 PM
Must Be Evil

Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Sorry - I realize I didn't answer your question. I'll go read those links now
Old 12-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Just buy a synthetic one. They have become so good at making them, that they even pro's have trouble telling the difference.

Also, they are cheaper then natural diamonds.

This is an old story, what truely scares me is that so many people are just becoming aware of it now.

Seriously, anyone who is forming their world view from things they see in a movie or TV show is setting themselves up to be a pawn of one extremist group or another.

Look at the whole Global warming scam. This theory was debunked 5 years ago. Yeah, its pretty obvious that we really need to figure out what the impact of human activity is on the Earth's climate. Even if its not heating up the planet, we should know what its doing. Maybe it was the trigger (yeah, I know they are being eaten) to the coral bleaching? Maybe its the reason so many amphibian's are dying? This is why forming a world view from a movie is dangerous (IE Al "I invented the internet" Gore). It takes attention away from legitimate science and critical thinking.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Devil's Advocate

Ravage is community member of note
Send a message via AIM to Ravage
I perused your articles...in particular, one thing in the "10 Reasons..." list caught my eye...that diamonds are overpriced.

It's a simple matter to get discounted diamonds, all you need is to know what you're looking for (quality-wise), and be willing to haggle. Most jewelers will deal on diamonds like they're used cars...just be willing to walk out on a sale if they don't give you what you want. (after personally buying 3 diamond rings in my life, I've never paid more than 60% sticker price for any of them...that goes for all other jewelry I've bought as well).

Most of the stuff I see reported in these links is propaganda...from both sides.

Diamonds are no more intrinsically valuable than gold, yet gold remains a stable investment because of the value we attribute it. Diamonds are no different. If you're not particular about your stones, can't afford a diamond, etc, then buying an imitation is perfectly acceptable and probably wise.

Me, I prefer buying the real thing. It all comes down to personal preference and means, though.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Troll

samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
When I read those articles, I thought of Peta. Those articles are just so far out there. Everything you do in life is directed because of a symbolic nature and a need for what you like. A portion of every dollar you spend goes to good and bad, regardless of what you spend it on.

People buy all sorts of minerals for investments. People buy the strangest things for invesments. People collect the strangest things. It's a simple supply and demand issue. If you want a diamond, you either need to buy it from those who have it. I personally think diamonds are useless, but my wife likes them, so she gets them.

I think the person who said that women demand a diamond for you to prove your love and affection.. well, then that is a problem with the women who think that, and not the diamond business.

My wife would be happy if I gave her a plastic ring from a gumball machine if she knew it had meaning to me and showed her that I care.

I personally like emeralds. They look nice. When I go to the caribbean I always pick her up something with emeralds.

But those articles are just a bunch of people on a soapbox and their overly aggressive approach depreciates any credibility. They're like the people who throw paint on people wearing furs.

I don't like fur. I don't like the act of killing animals for luxury, but you won't see me trying to harm or humiliate those who do.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Founding Member

Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Do you find better quality Emeralds in the carribean? I'm so that I prefer the synthetics these days, the real ones around here are either outrageously priced or very cloudy.

BTW I didn't mean to base the debate just on those articles, that was a quick websearch.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:29 AM

Fester-Rotcrotch has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Fester-Rotcrotch
I congratulate the De Beers on their work. What can I say otherwise? Sure diamond mining causes harm, but what doesn't these days? I take a passive attitute towards these sort of things, i have a short time to live, and I will enjoy it whether those expensive shoes I just bought were made by slave children or not.

There will always be the extremists and the industry, I am in no way needed.

On a personal note, I much prefer sapphires to diamonds. Blue is a very alluring color, and beautiful to boot! When the time comes for me to buy an engagement ring, it will indeed be sapphire.

Humbly,

Fester