11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 02-03-2007, 07:00 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Vista is a Plague on my House of Gaming
Day before yesterday the computer I had been nursing along since the end of SWG lost its graphics card. Since the the old comp doesn't support PCI Express, getting another card that was fast enough for Vanguard and Guild Wars PvP was going to be a needle in the haystack thing (it was hard enough a GEForce 850XT a year ago when I put it in).

So long story short, I had to buy a new computer froma store and everything has Vista on it...

O M G

It has been a nightmare. Here are the problems.
  • Belkin officially says they don't support Vista for Nostromo N52. However Tarinth used his 7eet Google powers to find a beta version of their drivers...so while this looked bad at first. My Nostromo is functioning well enough--though I will have to manually launch the different profiles when I start various games. Having to relearn to play with a keyboard would have been a nightmare for me. Time wasted getting this solved: 2 hours
  • Logitech's MX 518 Game Mouse won't work in Vanguard. There is an official Vista driver for this mouse on the Logitech Website, but the button mapping doesn't work--probably because I don't launch the client, the launcher does. I got the mouse working in Guildwars, but that's it. Time wasted so far: 4 hours and still going.
  • Time spent dealing with the newness of Vista... I won't count this because I believe it is a better operating system, but it likes to make things read only and its a pain in the ass to be lost.
  • Ventrilo: I can connect to some servers and it works. I can partially connect to my own, but trying to enter a channel causes me to disconnect. Time wasted not solving this problem 4 hours and still going.
  • Firefox: doesn't work at all.
So 10 hours of setup and I can't play properly yet.
Last edited by Roxianna : 02-03-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Must Be Evil

Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
that freakin blows
Old 02-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Famous Member

Crystalia is a jewel in the community Crystalia is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Crystalia Send a message via MSN to Crystalia Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalia
Yeah, I'm personally staying away from Vista for now.

I'm a manager for a software company and every time someone called us to setup their software on Vista we ended up having to tell them to fix the problems they have with their OS and/or hardware and call us back.

Lots of PDAs and other peripheral don't seem to work correctly on Vista.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Vista works fine.
I am running Vista Business x64.

I've been running Vista since Beta 2.

SWG works with Vista fine.

WoW works with Vista fine.

EQ2 works with Vista fine (used to crash alot prior to RC2)

Vanguard works with vista fine.

I would not recommend that anyone NEED to upgrade to Vista ASAP, but if your gettting a new rig, I would not fear it. Even in the Beta2 and RC1 days, I was able to get non-supported devices running with XP drivers.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalia View Post
Yeah, I'm personally staying away from Vista for now.

I'm a manager for a software company and every time someone called us to setup their software on Vista we ended up having to tell them to fix the problems they have with their OS and/or hardware and call us back.

Lots of PDAs and other peripheral don't seem to work correctly on Vista.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:31 AM
Famous Member

Crystalia is a jewel in the community Crystalia is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Crystalia Send a message via MSN to Crystalia Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamujin View Post
I feel like doing that a lot these days. *laughs*
Old 02-04-2007, 06:59 AM

PsyOps has much to be proud of
thank god I have 5 months till I get my new computer. So vista should have some of its problems ironed out by then.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast

Jerec is community member of note
Send a message via AIM to Jerec Send a message via MSN to Jerec
And this is why you don't buy new OS's at launch...
For all of those considering it, just wait a few months until a majority of the bugs are ironed out first so you don't have to go through a world of frustration.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:14 AM
Meatshield On Deck!

be0wulfe has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to be0wulfe Send a message via MSN to be0wulfe Send a message via Yahoo to be0wulfe Send a message via Skype™ to be0wulfe
Keep you 'recovery' CD's handy, install XP. Not dual-boot, give it a virtual enema and install XP clean.