11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 01-31-2007, 01:04 AM

PsyOps has much to be proud of
Sound Cards
I was just wondering if sound cards have a big effect on your games if your not using suround sound, because my Dell I'm getting (I don't have the time to build one) doesn't allow me to purchase any other sound card then the stock dell one.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast

SpugNothuson has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to SpugNothuson Send a message via Skype™ to SpugNothuson
It all depends on waht you'll be receiving as stock.

I must say that you'll probably find it adequate for your needs, unless of course you're sat in a room with 8 speakers of surround sound and bass system for playing your games.

If you are one of those people with too much money (I'm not jealous... honest) then you may want to consider an upgrade.

An upgrade, but this all depends on what you get as standard, can make the sound out of yours headphones/two little speakers sound better, but you'd only notice it in strict comparison.

Can you give us any more info on what Dell consider stock? Is it onboard sound?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:52 AM

Goldrock has much to be proud of
Tell ya the truth now days you dont need sound cards mainly because almost every computer on the market has a decent one thats internal now.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:42 PM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
But it's not all about sound quality. The thing with add-on cards is that they have their own sound processor. Onboard sound uses the CPU, which can have an affect (I'm not sure how much) on performance. When you have a sound card, that's one less thing the CPU has to deal with, and let's it focus more on whatever game you're playing. Just another reason to get one.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Enthusiast

SpugNothuson has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to SpugNothuson Send a message via Skype™ to SpugNothuson
I never thought of it like that Evil, thats a sound card added to my list of needs and wants. Curse that Vanguard for making me want upgrades.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:38 PM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Also some cards have RAM, that keeps sound from using your system RAM. Now, don't go spending money on a card based on what I said . I know it does free up resources, but I don't know how much or if it's even really noticable. But if you have extra money, then there is no harm in getting one.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:43 AM

PsyOps has much to be proud of
Frankly I'm broke. I've been saving my cash for about 6 or 7 months now.

It a "Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio" sound card.

The whole computer is $1550 (with taxes and shipping). Mostly from the 2.4 GHz Intel Duo 2 , NeVida GeForce 7900GS and Windows Vista Home premium. (It won't be able to run Crysis on max but maybe minimum)
Old 02-02-2007, 07:42 AM

Volkum has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Volkum
Just keep in mind that the output can only be as good as the source and means by which it is delivered. If you buy a good sound card, hopefully you have decent speakers/headphones to match it.

As far as sound quality is concerned, any decent add on sound card will sound better than crappy on board AC97 codecs, IMO. If you're not any sort of audiophile or just someone who pays attention to that stuff, you may not notice the difference though.