11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

Old 05-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Rising Star

MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to MaeveAlleine Send a message via AIM to MaeveAlleine Send a message via Yahoo to MaeveAlleine
I am one of the 19% that has the tv on. I have to say that my fiance watches it more than I do.

He will be into the TV when he's grinding something - be it harvesting or low level mobs. When in battle or handling guild business he's pretty focused on the game.

It would be nice to play a game that makes us forget to turn the thing on.

visit my blog: oh! san diego dot com
Old 05-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Rising Star

MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to MaeveAlleine Send a message via AIM to MaeveAlleine Send a message via Yahoo to MaeveAlleine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Piper View Post
I've never really played games to escape - I enjoy games, but (unless I've just started playing and I'm learning the controls) they don't require 100% focus. Just because I'm gaming doesn't mean I want to miss the news, or an interview or debate I wanted to catch, or the latest episode of a series I like - or more importantly, a good talk with a friend or family member over what we just watched or listened to.

Ditto for me. To me, the need for total immersion into a fantasy-land has always struck me negatively. IMHO total immersion is like a drug one takes to feel better or to forget reality. Someone who is very unhappy with their reality has this urge to "escape" so completely. Opium anyone?

Very few games create an atmosphere that makes me want to fully immerse myself - and those that do usually manage it only in areas. The haunted hotel in Vampire: Bloodlines was a rare example that comes to mind.

I have had similar "immersion" experiences. Although EXTREMELY cool when they happen, again it's not something I would need in all my gaming time. That goes back to the drug thing. Luckily the immersion experiences didn't leave me feeling like I wanted that feeling all the time.

Your question about immersing yourself struck me as a little strange (since that simply doesn't register as a goal for me), and made me wonder - how many of the people who include lots of media or other 'distractions' were high social or high exploerer (my two high marks) in the bartle test? Does the motivation for gaming influence the way we game?

I absolutely believe that the motivation is directly related to the way we game. Look at SWG Entertainer profession. Pure socializers finally had their own niche that was valuable to the community. Man...I used to hear some crazy cybersex mis-tells in the Theed Cantina. But thats another story...hehe.
Overall, it would be very cool to have a game that doesn't give us the urge to further the amount of information our brains are ingesting at one time. Total immersion? No, not for me. Especially since I believe the only path to total immersion would be a Matrix-type system (which we all know how that story goes - no thanks). Intense battles and innovative mind-sinks...thats for me. Perhaps player-generated content ala Second Life, only in our beloved worlds, is a good step in that direction.

visit my blog: oh! san diego dot com
Old 06-29-2007, 12:24 AM
More Famous Than Human

TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence
I voted for watching TV. It's simply because I may have a show on I enjoy, or even to listen to the news. Sometimes I'll take a glance every now and then, other times I find myself watching an entire show because I might be hanging out at the AH in WoW just talking to guildies. The TV is usally always on... Most of the time I pay no attention to it. It's a good question, it might just be some random instinct I have to turn on the TV while gaming...Hmm... I really think, IMO, that this is a question that I can't answer, I multi-task while gaming without realizing it.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:28 AM
More Famous Than Human

TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence
One thing I missed- The only time I actually watch the TV is when I'm playing an MMO... When on an FPS, I pay no attention to anything else because I am needed to pay full attention to the game.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:56 AM

Roberick has much to be proud of
Interesting question. I like having some background noise. It's also nice to watch something during a lull in the action.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:05 PM

DizzySaxophone has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to DizzySaxophone Send a message via MSN to DizzySaxophone Send a message via Yahoo to DizzySaxophone
Wimbledon is only once a year...
I don't want to lose my game time, but I don't want to miss Wimbledon.

Only other show I'll watch while playing a game is House.
Usually I just get off for an hour and watch it unless its a re-run.

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Old 07-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast

Abdo is a cornerstone of the community Abdo is a cornerstone of the community Abdo is a cornerstone of the community
Some games (especially MMORPGs) have a lot of down time where it is easy to play the game and watch TV without out dimensioning the effects of either.
Also I know when I play a game with long load times I will have the TV on so I don't get impatient during the loading (this was a bigger problem with my old PC)
Old 12-21-2007, 03:48 AM
Enthusiast

andrewjay is a cornerstone of the community andrewjay is a cornerstone of the community
I'm just listening to NFL network, Sportscenter or a cool movie on TV. Maybe its just background noise that I need. not sure
Old 05-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Founding Member

Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence
Thumbs down

I have a real pet peeve for people that watch TV and wipe the raid because they aren't paying attention.

"If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny..."
Old 05-31-2008, 12:08 PM

MatteKudesai has much to be proud of
Six years ago it was 100% immersion, oh yes.

Then I got married - and had a kid.

If I wasn't able to multi-task while playing I wouldn't be able to play at all. Luckily, my gaming tastes have gravitated towards MMOs and those are easy to divert attention from.

Before I got married I played Starcraft (via Battlenet) and Unreal Tournament almost constantly. There's no way I could do that now.