11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 01-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Enthusiast

SpugNothuson has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to SpugNothuson Send a message via Skype™ to SpugNothuson
Vanguard minimum specs
Vanguard says it requires 2.4Ghz Processor in its minimum specs.

Does anyone that has played Vanguard shed any light on this being Iron Clad?

I'm only running 2Ghz but with 2Gb of RAM (I know that they don't directly help each other) will I be able to play? Or is my bank account going to be looking a little worse?

Also they say that you need 20Gb of space on your HardDrive. Is the game really THAT big? If so, how large is the Download for it, please tell me it's been compressed.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:18 PM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Do you use AMD or Intel? They're probably talking about a 2.4Ghz from Intel. Amd uses a different architecture, so a 2.4Ghz CPU from AMD will be a lot better than a 2.4Ghz from Intel. I run an AMD x2 4800+ at 2.4Ghz with 2Gb of RAM and a 7800gtx, and I can play with the settings set pretty high. And yeah, it really is that big
Old 01-25-2007, 02:11 PM

Blanco has set foot on a distinguished road
Download was around 7gb. Install takes up 17.5.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to SpugNothuson Send a message via Skype™ to SpugNothuson
I'm running 2Ghz Intel, looks like I'll be overclocking and if the machine goes bang the bank account will suffer the consequences. Been looking for an excuse anyway.

That's not a bad compression ratio. I've bypassed thisn and ordered the game from Amazon today though. Should be with me on the 30th.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:40 PM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Yeah, 400Mhz shouldn't be too hard to pull off. I wouldn't think you'd even need very much of a voltage increase for that. I got mine up to 3.0Ghz on pretty much stock voltage, but the RAM couldn't go that fast, so I had to back it down. 2.5Ghz is what I run, not much of an overclock, but better than stock speeds.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast

Can I ask what you use to clock it?

I've considered doing such things before but never actually needed to.

I feel ashamed for asking, I can build a computer from scratch, but I don't know how to clock one. My knowledge is lacking.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:01 PM
I hate hippies

I do it from the BIOS, but with all the different combinations of hardware and settings, I can't really go into detail without making an extremely large post. Check out www.ocforums.com. That's where I learned how to overclock. There is a lot of info there and the community is helpful if you have any questions. There are also people there that know a lot more than I do, especially on Intel processors (I've always used AMD). If you decide to post over there, make sure you have your hardware listed in your sig so people will know what you're working with and won't have to ask you what stuff you're using.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks mate much appreciated.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:03 PM

garth bluntaxe has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to garth bluntaxe Send a message via Skype™ to garth bluntaxe
you will be fine just do a good defrag it really help with VGSOH
Old 01-27-2007, 12:42 AM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
How would a 3.4ghz Intel (Possible dual core, i'm not sure on that one.) proc, 2gb DDR2 ram and 6600GT GFX card work? Thinking i might have to crank down on the graphics a bit, but with that done, i won't lag... right?