11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > MUDs and Interactive Fiction

Old 11-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Troll

samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Wow@ Lofp!
And I don't mean World of Warcraft..

Looking at the stats on http://www.guildcafe.com/GameHistory.php, for popular games by year..

Looking at LOFP then looking at the infancy of MMORPG's compared to the longevity of LOFP, makes you wonder if any game in this 'era' can really sustain longterm attention.

Hats off to you guys.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:43 AM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Actually, hats off to Cartin. Truthfully he is the one responsible for keeping the game running for years.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:09 AM
Enthusiast

Kabol is community member of note
Send a message via MSN to Kabol Send a message via Skype™ to Kabol
Is it still running? And what's it all about? Hmm...I should google it.

Whoa...GuildCafe is a company? I looked up the LoFP and gave me a wiki site...talked about the developer of it, Jon Radoff. Is any of this of truth or merit? Also says he founded the GuildCafe company. I'm confused a little. @.@

Old 01-19-2007, 09:01 AM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
You may click at the "GuildCafe Entertainment Inc." link at the bottom of the page.

Disruptor Beam -- Facebook RPGs
Old 04-08-2007, 03:05 AM

Shan has much to be proud of
I've corresponded with Gary a bit over the past year or so. He's in and out of the game dev thing.

C'mon, Jon, Angela, you know your passion lies in game dev. Come and get back in it!
Old 04-08-2007, 05:17 PM

Mugglewump has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Mugglewump
Gary and I had actually been working together on a project of his not too long ago - but when it came down to things, it was just the two of us (more him than me) and I think he eventually gave up on that particular aspect.

After all these years - I would still love to work on another development project. Between LoFP and then The Eternal City - at least I got some of the concept down. ;p

Old 04-09-2007, 03:00 AM

Sierron has much to be proud of
Yeah, let LoFP rise from the ashes!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Speaking of game development, for someone interested in the area, but a complete nub to coding, where should one start? A free source would be nice but if I have to purchase a book or something similar that'd be alright. I'll eventually get to it at school but I figured that I might aswell get a head start.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:31 PM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
That's a big question, as there are so many places to begin depending on what your interests are. For example, are you interested in 3D graphics programming, AI development, server implementation, etc.? It also depends on what platform you are most interested in: Xbox, PC, Web-based, etc. The languages and tools you'd want to learn would depend on that.

If you don't have any programming experience at all, I'd recommend starting with something a little simpler. I'd recommend grabbing a copy of Python and installing it on your PC, and follow one of the online tutorials. Python is nice because it is easy to have some immediate results, there's lots of free code available, it's pretty easy to learn, it's object-oriented (which means you'll learn good habits). It's even used in some commercial games--you could learn to do things like modify Civilization 4 to make its UI and rules behave dirently. Later, once you've gained some mastery of the basics of object-oriented coding, you could branch out in other directions.

If making modern PC-based 3D games is what interests you, you'd move on to learning C++, since that's what most of the 3D engines are written in.

Disruptor Beam -- Facebook RPGs
Old 04-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarinth View Post
That's a big question, as there are so many places to begin depending on what your interests are. For example, are you interested in 3D graphics programming, AI development, server implementation, etc.? It also depends on what platform you are most interested in: Xbox, PC, Web-based, etc. The languages and tools you'd want to learn would depend on that. I'm not actually sure wich part i'd like to work on, defenitley PC gaming though. Since I am not exactly experienced in the area i'll have to learn the basics first.

Python... Do you purchase python? Or is there an official download?

If making modern PC-based 3D games is what interests you, you'd move on to learning C++, since that's what most of the 3D engines are written in. Alright, I know we're going to be working with that at school in a while, not exactly sure when, it's part of the.. line (Not exactly sure what the equivelent would be over there, since our system is rather different.) that I picked.
Ten characters.