Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 01-20-2007, 11:46 PM

hall88 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilAerosolCan View Post
I'm going to recommend this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119093
It's where thermaltake got their idea for their Armor and Kandalf cases. It's huge. This is the case I use and I love it, so much space on the inside to work with.
Pretty nice case but that is damn pricey for a case.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:55 PM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
It's about the same price as the one he originally wanted. With a raptor, the big difference is in the load times. I notice when playing BF2/2142 I'm usually one of the first ones on the map.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:39 AM
Peacekeeper

Krallang is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats exactly why I want a 10k, any game where zoning/loading is an issue (and its a lot of em) I want 10krpm over a 7200

The actual gb's of storage don't really bother me, I have an external I put most crap I download on so 150gb is the largest I really need and if need be given that I will be getting a full tower there will be plenty of room for another harddrive later on should I need one.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:03 AM

hall88 has much to be proud of
Well I had Oblivion on both drives and I noticed no difference in load times, that goes for Rainbow Six: Vegas as well. The difference was so minimal that I didn't even notice.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
Some things you should know:

The 680i motherboards tend to be packed with capacitors and heat sinks around the CPU socket so make sure the third-party heat sink and fan will fit.

If you want to overclock your setup, you might want to stay away from Corsair DDR2-800 memory as they have been using budget "Promos" chips that don't overclock very well. Even the ones named "Dominator" have Promos.

Also, if you plan to use SLI with 8800's, that Power Supply may not be good enough. I'd take an aluminum case over a steel one - lighter, cooler, less EMI.
Last edited by PeZzy : 01-22-2007 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Peacekeeper

Krallang is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the advice pezzy.

Fan should fit the mobo and cpu, others have used it in combo before and said it works well keeping core temp low during overclocking, part of the reason why I selected it.

What type of ram should I purchase, on my guild website some guildies advised against purchasing corsair ram aswell if my intentions are to overclock but they haven't suggested a good type of ram to get. I really want 4G so I won't have to worry about upgrading for a long while.

Even if during my initial build I don't run SLI i plan to do it eventually, if psu isn't capable to supply stable power for that how many watts should I look into purchasing so I don't have to worry about it?

Old 01-23-2007, 06:04 AM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
Usually Asus lists compatible memory on their website but I checked there and the QVL list is currently down. Memory based on Micron D9 chips tends to be good but quality varies depending upon the boards they are placed on.

You might want to check the motherboard manual or over at Nvidia's website for SLI approved power supplies. I have an EVGA 680i motherboard and the manual states you need at least a 750W with 40Amps on the +12Volt rails for 8800GTX's in SLI.