11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 11-09-2006, 02:00 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Question Sony SZ330 as graphics workstation
My niece, a young artist, is in need of a computer that will run graphics. She has selected the Sony SZ330 laptop. I am unsure if this is a good idea. I can't imagine this little thing being able to run Maya or Photoshop without melting.

I suggested we get her a properly cooled desktop model and then a handheld or cheap laptop to take to school--she will be starting at college next year.

Is Auntie Roxi right about this or will this laptop do the job?
Old 11-09-2006, 05:52 PM

boo has much to be proud of
The sony has enough power to run most things, one of my clients runs a highend accounts software on it and he has no problems with cooling. I seam to remember it has a dual core 2ghz cpu, 2 gig of ddr and a 120 gig hardrive, so from that point of view its ok. However the graphics card on it is currently high end but that might not be enough in 6 months or so time, especially with longhorn or whatever the hell Microsoft call thier new o/s coming soon.
Unless mobilty is important I would always go for a desktop over a laptop just for the ease of upgrade.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Founding Member

Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Auntie Roxie is right

In fact, the more ram she can add to the desktop the better.

IF she wants, get the laptop just to be back to transfer the work she's already done/has in progress to school. But she really needs the power/graphics/ram of the Desktop to make it with any of the demands of digital art these days.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Founding Member

Neowart has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Neowart Send a message via MSN to Neowart
just make sure there is no dirt blocking the fans.... inside and out
Old 11-30-2006, 06:16 AM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
Just make sure the batteries aren't made by Sony ... http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32550
Old 11-30-2006, 04:06 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeZzy View Post
Just make sure the batteries aren't made by Sony ... http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32550
Wow. I can think of any number of places that could cause a real tragedy.