11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

Old 03-04-2013, 07:30 AM
meklog37

Post Floral boutonniere for the groom
Have you ever wondered how to choose a floral boutonniere for the groom? I have some important information that is going to help you choose the right kind which will enhance the look of your husband-to-be. I also want to share with you where the word comes from and how the whole sense of implementing a boutonniere in weddings originated.

Letís first start with a little bit of history to get in the mood. As you can tell, the word boutonniere comes from France and in our language, would sound like buttonhole. A boutonniere consists of one flower that can be arranged by itself with greens and fillers that can match the bridal bouquet and even the wedding flowers. In the past, this pretty arrangement used to be placed throughout the manís suit or tuxedo. Today, most if not all of us, pin the boutonniere through the lapel with pins making it secure for the groom or any person that is hugging the groom. I am very interested in the story behind these boutonnieres and I wanted to share just a bit since legend tells that they were used to ward off bad spirits and protect the man from diseases. In my opinion, every groom must wear one of these on his wedding day. Ushers and the groomsmen also wear a boutonniere.

A boutonniere should not be too small. It should be large enough that you wonít regret wearing it. They can be made in many ways and there are endless possibilities on its color and style, just like the bride who has many options to decide from when choosing her wedding bouquet. You should always try to go along with the brides bride or let her pick it for you that way everything would look very pretty on that special day.

In my experience, I have had plenty of opportunities in making boutonnieres for my clients and I can say that most of the common ones are always roses like red, white, yellow, light pink, peach or even cream. I have also had the chance of making wild boutonnieres using sunflowers, anemones, calla lilies and hydrangeas. In other words, if you can name, it can probably be made for you with most diy wedding flowers. A boutonniere should always be accompanied with some good fillers and greens like babyís breath and lily bear grass which completes the look. Adding green floral tape helps secure it and make it look elegant and decorative.

You should always have your boutonniere done near the time of your wedding since this way, the flower you have chosen is fully hydrated and can appear perked up and pretty for at least 8 hours. When properly cared for, boutonnieres should last about 3 to 4 days after being made and even more after you event should you decide to keep it. You can even go through the process of drying it but thatís another story worth discussing another day. Just have fun picking your boutonnieres and remember the best part of it is that is your day and you can do whatever you like.

Author
Kate Evans is a certified floral consultant out of Omaha, Nebraska. As owner of Blooms N More, Kate has over 30 years of experience in arranging diy wedding flowers for brides. See her wedding flowers blog for more information.