11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 08-16-2012, 05:32 AM

haTillah has much to be proud of
FPS Tips: Team Awareness
(Includes advice for Halo, COD, GOW, BF3, GRFS!)

First thing's first!

I have hundreds of notes from my old competition days playing Halo and other shooters. I am a busy guy and I think posting something once a month will suffice. After reading, let me know how I can improve my blog. Please tell me if you like it as well and tell your friends! If this gets more popular, I'll be sure to include more tips and supply even more helpful play-by-play analyses of all the most popular games on the market (see below for my channel). Most commentaries on YouTube give very broad tips about their success. But I'm very particular and I like to break things down to the smallest details. These details are often overlooked and people think they can mimic just what they see. If that were the case, everyone could play like Tiger Woods. However, I want to break down my plays - and potential professional gameplay - to the finest details for your benefit! Please help me out and spread the word about my blog! A thumbs up would be very nice too!

Being aware of your teammates' positions is key!

Playing a shooter is a lot like walking across the street. You look both ways whenever you cross the street, and in the FPS-world you just don't drop a clip into your opponent without giving your surroundings a quick assessment. I've played countless number of games when I picked up easy kills on people because they choose to charge me without a second thought of their surroundings. Every shooter out there relies on teamwork. Whether it is Battlefield, Call of Duty, Gears of War, or Halo there is always a strong urgency for teamwork. Sure, there are players who can carry their whole team in COD but when they're facing more than just the average joes, teamwork becomes essential.

+Use your radar to determine your teammates' positions. Keep in mind, they might not always have a clear line-of-sight on your opponent(s). This could keep you out of help for a few precious seconds.

+What if there is no radar to determine teammate proximity?! Games like Halo with MLG settings do not have a radar to show your teammates. Estimate where your teammates would go if you were them. BE YOUR TEAMMATES. It doesn't hurt to turn around to see if you have help, but don't show the enemy your back! Always keep in mind, the most logical thing for your teammate to do is attack when you outnumber your target. If the fight becomes a 2 v 1, expect your teammate to help you out. But if the fight becomes a 2 v 2, caution your teammate's hesitancy. If the fight becomes a 2 v 3, retreat regardless of your teammate's aggression - lest of course they have a significant advantage via powerup or weapon.

+Sometimes cover is not enough to evade a hostile opponent. Sometimes they will pursue you in hopes of killing you as you kill them. However, retreating towards your teammates will surely get them off your trail or maybe score you an unlikely kill!

+Keep a lookout for your team's covering fire. When bullets are going over your should, you most likely have help on the way! Most games show quick trails behind the bullets being shot.

+Use teammates to watch your "blind spot." It is safe to say, you can rely on your teammate to watch your flank. When they are going off screen or behind a structure, listen for gunfire. Remember, most teammates are not shooting without purpose. They have the intention of defending themselves. Keep this in mind to determine enemy locations.

+When in doubt, listen for firefights. There is a fight going on that may not be expecting you!

+Follow injured teammates. When a teammate is engaging an opponent and begins retreating, be sure to cover them and you could pick up an easy kill.

+When approaching an objective, it is always a sensible decision to wait for your teammates. The extra help will give you an indication whether the objective can be obtained/captured. Let's not die without purpose. Sometimes giving a few seconds to assess your environment will guarantee victory. It's not a race!

+When in doubt, stay between all your teammates. Support those who push. Remember to maximize the amount of damage you give versus the damage you take. In other words, hit them more than they hit you. This is being a support player (more on this subject in the following blogs).

+When you are leading the charge, be wary of your teammates. Keep this in mind: is it in their best intentions to follow me into the next firefight? When in doubt, let another teammate push up and follow them!

+When you are in the back of your team, this means a few things. You have the sniper, you have the objective, or you are at a weakened state. Some people may think that being behind all your teammates is the safest route. However, this requires just as much care and attention as those who are leading the charge. You are responsible for flanks and those can come at the worst moments!

+So you can't trust your teammates and this forces you to play behind all your teammates. Do not take this to be the easy way out. Positioning yourself behind your teammates takes great skill to engage enemies across long distances. Additionally, you must be engaging the enemy frequently. Most snipers or passive players are harassed by their teammates because they aren't dishing out enough damage for their team. They are considered to be cowards or stat-whores. Once again, being behind the squad is not an easy task and requires great skill.

Who am I?!

My gamertag on Xbox Live is "a TiIIah" I have been playing FPS' for at least a decade now. From winning local tournaments to achieving the highest online rankings, I am as skilled as I am experienced. I am a student of the art of war, and everything I do in the virtual battlefield is a science. I study every detail, and I have hundreds of notes taken down over the years. Combined with a love for gaming and a love for teaching, I hope my blog and my channel will help others achieve the pinnacle of excellence!

YouTube.com/haTiLLah

Please Support Me by Liking or Subscribing!

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:51 PM

ZabeloDirect has much to be proud of
All right!!