11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 PM

GamerFringe has much to be proud of
My Guide to Call of Gods

Call of Gods is a browser based game for those who have never heard of it. For the most part, CoG is an MMO style game, with a combat system not unlike that of FF7, except that you have no control over your heroes actions. After playing this game for about 2 months, I wanted to post some things about it that I have learned, and figured why not do it here.

First, please note, that I am "NOT AN EXPERT OR ELITIST" in CoG, I am still working out my theories in the game.

To start, let me tell you that this game (if you intend to play continuously) is very gold dependant. Meaning, you will be spending a lot of money for gold to make your gameplay continuous. Do you have to buy gold? Well, no, not really. But, if you plan to be competative in the game, and do not like what I post below, you will need to buy gold.

After moving to my new server, I began testing my new strategy for CoG. To start, lets give you a rundown. CoG has more quests than you can shake a stick at, so you could technically level non stop if you had the troops to support; until you get to the point that you had no troops. I messed up on my first server by rushing through the game, leveling fast, and ending up falling short.

My Strategy, thus far proven to work:

(to make viewing this easier, I have placed each topic into its own post, so that they can be opened into a seperate browser window.)

#1: Never level past your Castle / Technology / Magic

#2: Gear is important

#3: Get the Skills

#4: Go for Orange!

#5 Counter Plunder

#6: Arena, Arena, Arena

#7: Things that caught my eye
Last edited by GamerFringe : 02-24-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:02 PM

#1: Never level past your Castle / Technology / Magic
While your character levels from questing, running dungeons, and doing dailys, if you do not work on your Castle, Technology, and Magic, you will eventually get to the point where you are having to interupt your gameplay due to a lack of Heroes and Troops.

While it may seem to be boring, if you utilize some of the AFK features of the game (such as farming the resource nodes, and training sites) you will be able to develop your charcter, heroes and castle relatively at the same rate. Currently, my character is level 44 (after about 3 weeks of playing) and 5 of the 6 heroes I use are level 43; the 6th is level 40...a late addition. I have spent most of my time farming the resource nodes to add to my castle resources, as a way to maintain my castle, tech, and magic levels at the same rate as my character. So far, this has worked out well.

The advantages are, that I have been able to fend off attacks, lose less troops in dungeons and quests, and have a more balanced win/lose ratio in the Arena when I fight players around my level.

The disadvantages are that I spend less time actually playing the game, and my heroes are not leveling from the buildings, tech and magic I complete.

It is important to balance out your play time with your building/research time. As you level higher, buildings take longer to build, tech and magic take longer to study. Using this method, it is good to have something else to do while you are AFK playing CoG.

Below is an image of the magic available to study; the building name is different depending upon the race you are playing.

Notice that at level 9, Honed Steel (displayed) affords my troops an additional 18% damage; currently at level 8 I get 16%. While it may not seem like much, against players my level, and mobs my level, it does have an affect. As I see it, at the MINIMUM, you should max out your magic...at the minimum. In the long run, more is good, and more damage as you head on past level 50 is most definitly, GOOD!

As you level, you will have access to more powerful troops; if you have leveled the prerequisite buildings that is. Your goal should be at least to get to your second archer type (in the case of humans, the Marksmen). Those are available to you at level 40, once you have raised your barracks to level 9. After level 40, you get a new unit type every 10 levels. You will get the final unit type at level 70; it is the higher level flying unit.

I wanted to point something out about the barracks. Notice in the image above, in the description. It states that the maximum recruitable units is 900; now notice I have access to 1140 of each unit type. The technology "Heraldry" increases the maximum recruitable limit. If you want to have more units available to replace those you lose, level Heraldry.

In all honesty, you should really level everything, but depending on how you play (or like to play) that is up to you.

Upgrading your Castle, Tech, and Magic takes resources that you farm from inside your castle, by constructing the buildings associated with the resource. The higher the level of the buildings, the more resources per hour you produce, and the more you can store temporarilly. Temporary storage is important, especially if you have been targetted for plunder (farmed) by another player. Any resources held in temporary storage cannot be plundered; any resources "collected" can. As you level up higher, you will require more resources for upgrades. Once your temporary storage is full, you will not collect any more resources. You must collect the stored resources in order to gather more.

Sources of Resources:

Your Castle
Dungeons
Resource Cards (these will be given as quest rewards, gotten as drops from mobs, bought from the Gold Shop - using gold, coupons, or silver-, and randomly gathered while training your character at a training station)
Resource Collection Nodes
(as a last resort for me) Plundering

Effective Upgrade Strategy:

Upgrading at lower levels is relatively fast and easy. As you progress through the game, more resources are needed. Typically, it is best as resource needs increase to plan your upgrades, to avoid losing a lot of resources to plunder, should you be a target. Allow your resources to accumulate in temporary storage, until you are close enough to the upgrade, or until you are no longer able to collect resources. If you have reached temp storage limit, check to see which resource you have in excess, and go to a market (available in towns and on some quest areas on the map) and trade for what you need. The exchange ratio is 2 of your items for 1 of theirs; its standard, there is no way around it.

Example:
You have 345,321 Wood. you need 75,000 wood for an upgrade. You are lacking 50,000 stone to finish the upgrade. Trading 100,000 wood will get you 50,000 stone. You can safely trade the resources without shorting yourself wood.
From the example above, lets say you need 150,000 stone instead. If you trade for the 150,000 stone from your wood, you will be left with 45,321 wood; you will be short for your upgrade.

Rather than trade your resources, running a dungeon will get you additional resources too. The amount depends on the dungeon, and the difficulty you are running it in. Running Cimmerian Dungeon in normal mode will give you 5,000 per unit found; in nightmare mode 10,000, and in hell mode 15,000. The higher the dungeon level, the higher the resource increment is. Under normal circumatances, running in nightmare or hell mode will get you the best results. If you are short on troops, normal is the safest.

Resource cards come in different levels. Level 1 resource cards provide 5,000 of their respective resource per card, and cost 5,000 silver (in the silver tab of the gold shop). Level 1 are also given out for early quest rewards, drop from level 1 bronze and silver chests (you will sometimes get these as loot from dungeons), and from random drops during afk training at a training facility. Level 2 resource cards are sometimes given as quest rewards, drop from bosses (rarely), or are purchased in the coupon tab of the gold shop. Level 3 resource cards are sometimes given as quest rewards, or purchased from the gold tab of the gold shop. Card values are listed below:

Level 1: 5,000
Level 2: 20,000
Level 3: 50,000

When planning your upgrades, you can collect the exact amount you need from each building. By doing this, you can leave no resources in your castle storage, which can potentially diswade a farmer (or just a player doing a plunder on you) from returning to your castle; if you have no resources available, they have no reason to plunder you, aside from honor. When possible, only collect the resources needed for an upgrade.

Idealy, by the time you are level 50, your castle areas should look like the image below:

If things have been done correctly, all of your tech and magic should be at max for your current level as well. To save space, I am not going to post each individual image for tech and magic, I will just list the levels they should be at below. Also, keep in mind that while I am displaying the Human castle, Elves and Undead have the same building types.

Technology:

Royal Decree / Reanimation / Call of the Wild: Level 8
Klaxon Call / Enslavement / Summon: Level 9
Salvation / Necromancy / Herbal Healing: Level 9
Conscription / Incantation / Germination: Level 10
Dominion / Necrosis / Geomancy: Level 10
Imperial Expansion / Pestilence / Propogation: Level 10
Heraldry / Occultism / Spirit Sentinal: Level 10
Logistics / Putrification / Natures Bounty: Level 9

Magic:

Honed Steel / Bloodlust / Forest Guardian: Level 9
Shield Wall / Hardened Skin / Thorny Thicket: Level 9
Boots of Haste / Enragement / Etherealism: Level 9
Divine Protection / Rigor Mortis / Inner Strength: Level 9

If absolutely necissary, you can get away with only leveling the smithy and royal stable to level 7 and still make it to the level 45 upgrades; you will need to level those buildings to continue leveling other buildings beyond that however.
Last edited by GamerFringe : 03-02-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 PM

#2: Gear is important
Take advantage of the transmutation services offered in towns to upgrade your gear. Some green drops you will get can be upgraded through "Transmutation" if you have the required items to do it. Items can come from dungeons, mobs, or from Alliance Vendors.

Full sets of gear can be purchased from your Alliance vendor, and from the Honor Shop. Full sets are your goal, since they add addition stats to your heroes and their troops. Wearers of full sets of gear are identified by a swirling energy field around the army unit on the combat map.

Honor: Gained from the Arena, and from Plundering other castles.

Alliance Reputation: Gained from doing Alliance dailys.

In the image above, you can see the hero is wearing the full level 40 set of honor gear. Total cost as I mentioned is 16,000 honor points. The alternative set of gear available (I will include an image at a later date) is the Reputation set. You acquire it from your Alliance salesman in your Alliance area; to get there see the image below:

That opens up the Alliance console. Click the "Enter Alliance" button (shown above) to enter your Alliance area.

Below, I have marked 3 things you may want to know about the Alliance area:

#1: Alliance Businessman - This is where you get your Alliance Reputation set of gear, as well as materials for transmuting items.

#2: Alliance Receiver - This is where you go to contribute Silver to your Alliance, and pick up your Alliance Dailys (and turn them in).

#3: Treasure Chest - This is accessable once per day. Usually, you get 10,000 Copper (do it, you can use it for upgrading) and sometimes it will even give you an item for use in transmuting.
Last edited by GamerFringe : 02-24-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 PM

#3: Get the Skills
It is important that you affix the correct skills to your Heroes. Failure to do so will result in lower combat abilities.

When you are first going through the tutorial questline, you will be given a quest to learn a skill, and the books will be provided. I would advise you NOT to do it. If you happen to bypass the tutorial, you will notice that your first hero will have 2 skills. My advice, dump that hero before you get going into the game.

All skills will say "Available to all Heroes" for level 1 and level 2 of the skill; once you get to 50 and try to level that skill to level 3, if that hero does not specialize in the attribute for that particular skill, you will be unable to raise its level. Can it be fixed? Well, sure....if you buy gold. You can erase the skill for 10 gold (approx. cost $1.00) and start over with a skill designated for your hero's attribute specialization. But, as I said, it would be better to just let that hero go from the beginning, or wait to do that quest until you have a hero that can actually benefit from that skill.

Some level 1 skill books can be purchased from the silver tab in the gold shop.
Last edited by GamerFringe : 02-24-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 PM

#4: Go for Orange!
Everyone should be utilizing the refreshes (free, hourly, Summoning Horn, Book of Astrology) at the taverns in town. Your goal is to try to get yourself at least [Purple] heroes, but Orange is what you REALLY want. Never pass up a Purple if one shows up. Just like the traditional orange quality gear you will get from a lot of MMO's, Orange heroes are only inferior to red heroes; but red does not come from the taverns. Think Orange.....

Lets say you have a blue hero (not bad to start with really) that you have up to level 11, a white hero at level 13 and a green hero at level 15. You do a refresh in the tavern, and an orange comes up; you should dump one of your heroes in favor of the Orange, even though it is only level 1. In this situation, I would say dump that white; the stats are really not all that good. But if you had 2 blues and a green, I would say dump the green. But, if you had all 3 blue heroes, look for the one with the lowest potential, and get rid of it, even if it is your highest level hero (if the levels were the same as in the example I gave).

At higher levels, it is really up to you how you manage this. If you had all of your heroes to level 40, for example, and you found an orange, it would seem like a waste of a lot of work to dump one of those for a level 1 orange. Well, if it was me, I would still do it. Because 1) it doesn't take long to level up a hero if you work on it, and 2) I am not willing to pay for a hero sacrifice.

Hero Sacrifice:

In town, there is a place where you can go and transfer the level from one hero to another; the cost for that service is 50 gold ($5.00). In my opinion, that is a waste of money. But, I like to do things the hard way too. If you want to fast track your heroes leveling, then doing the hero sacrifice is the way to go.

Hero Quality:

The quality of a hero determines the overall stats of a hero. Potential is the most important stat to look at. Different colors of heroes will determine the level of potential a hero can have. White heroes, for example, have the lowest possible potential, while red heroes (I assume, as I have not yet gotten one) have the highest. Blue heroes for example can have a potential of 27 to 36; this affects the other stats bonuses as the hero levels, including the amount of troops they can command. The hero quality is as follows from lowset to highest:

White Green Blue Purple Orange Red

You will start a new character with a blue hero; if you check the tavern before you do anything else, you may find a green or blue, or if you are VERY lucky, a Purple or Orange. Orange is the rarest quality to find; most of the time you will get blue or Purple. As I said above, if you see an Orange, take it! Also, if you should see a Purple, I would suggest the same; dump one of the other heroes for it, it is totally worth it in the long run.

Below is an image to show you how to check on your character information:

When this opens, it will be on the main page, showing information about your character. The next tab, heroes, lists information about all of your heroes. The green highlighted area will show you how many heroes you currently have as well as your maximum allowed. The third gives you information about the buildings in your castle.
Last edited by GamerFringe : 02-24-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 PM

#5 Counter Plunder
Part of the PvP content in CoG is the ability to plunder another Castle on the world map. For obvious reasons, if you plan to plunder, make sure you are not trying to do it to a player that is higher level than you...bad, really bad. Should you find yourself about to be plundered, try to find the attacker on the map (this can be hard sometimes) and counter plunder while he is attacking you. If you time it right, the attacker will not be able to defend his Castle after he plunders yours. After you are plundered, a combat report is generated, with the coordinates to the attacker; if you couldn't counter him, do it the next time. Just shortcut the attacker's castle to your world map, and it will be easy.

Why counter plunder you ask?

Well, I am glad that you did. As with any other game you will play, the strong prey on the weak. The strong being the higher levels, the weak being the lower levels, or the uninformed players. In most cases, if you are able to counter plunder a would be farmer, you could possably diswade them from coming back. That being your overall goal. The more you are plundered, the more resources you are going to lose, and the longer it will take for you to level up the buildings in your castle and your tech/magic. Depending on your level, you may be able to counter plunder someone that is up to 10 levels higher than you without losing any troops. At most, if you and your attacker are under level 49, you will encounter five defenders inside the attacker's castle; and if they haven't really been leveled up, you shuold be able to make short work of them even if you are only level 40. If you want to try to defend your castle (not advised until you see the strength of your attacker) you can. If you have managed to level up your castle and tech/magic as I have suggested, you could very well end up winning the battle on defence.

Notice, in my castle, the levels of the buildings. While you can't tell from any indications in the image, all but 3 structures and my wall are leveled up to where they should be for my level. For the defence aspect of my castle, my city walls at level 8 provide my defence team with 24% additional defence and damage against a plunderer. You should level up your walls as often as you can to help you in the event that you decide to go on the defence.

How do you go on defence? I'll show you.

From the image above, click on the "Hero" button (middle of the screen at the bottom of the UI). The hero console will open. Select the "Deploy" tab (as seen below) then click "Switch" (#1 in the image) and finally click "Deploy" (#2 in the image). Always click "Deploy" after making any changes inside the deployment screen. This includes reorganizing the placement of your heroes, changing formations, etc.

Notice, the heroes I have in my attack formation are all close to my character's level. They are also all Purples; I have yet to get an Orange on this character. Always remember, if you switch to defend deployment, switch back before you go into a dungeon; you may find yourself with inadequate support from your heroes and lose a dungeon key....
Last edited by GamerFringe : 02-24-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:08 PM

#6: Arena, Arena, Arena
I am not really much of a PvPer, never really have been (FPS though.....*drools*) but the Arena in CoG is actually okay. You win some, you lose some, its an all out attack anyone you want to scenario. At level 20 you are able to join the Arena; I would advise you to do just that, and SAVE up your honor. Once you have a hero at level 40, you can gear him or her in a full set of Honor gear (nice....) for 16k honor. Save, save, save.... Typically, I go for the highest level player on my page; yeah, I lose a lot. But, what I have found, is that the higher the level, the more honor I get...even though I lose. If you are lucky enough to have a level 100 to fight, thats 100 honor for losing. At level 20, the goal is not to win in the arena, it is to gain as much honor as you possibly can. So do not be discouraged if you do not win. As I mentioned above, find the highest level player on your screen, and challenge them.

As a side note, I thought it would be good to point out, that if you challenge someone close to your own level (within 10 levels of you) and you lose, you could potentially become a target for plunder farming. If someone in the arena knows they can beat you, nothing is stopping them from coming at you where it will count.

Most of the "Elite" Arena players will go in with all ranged troops. While this more often than not does the job (and does it well), I prefer to get up close and personal with my oponents. So I use 2 flying units in my Arena deploy. As I said, I am still new at this, but this has worked out for me very well. So far, in my experience, I have found that fighting an Elf character is a royal pain if they are my level, or within 3 levels of me. Elven archers do more damage than human or undead archers do I have noticed, not to mention that they dodge attacks more often than mine do. High agility I believe is a factor in that. My Arena deployment is as follows:

#1: These heroes specialize in the Attack attribute. Since they hav a high attack, their defence is low. I place them at the back of the formation, using Monk's for troops. Monk's have a high damage against infantry, and anything else really. Stats to work on with these heroes (as I see it) are attack, and accuracy. There is little need to boost the defence of the attack heroes if the defence heroes (below) are geared and gem'd right.

#2: These heroes specialize in the Defence attribute. Their defence base is higher than the rest of my heroes, but they have a lower attack. I have them in front of the attack heroes, to provide them cover against ranged attacks in the Arena. While their attack may be low, I have these heroes commanding Marksmen. Marksmen are great against Cavalry units, and if the hero has his or her gear set up right, against incoming ranged attacks as well. Stats to work on for gearing here include (as I see it) defence, vitality, and agility. As I said, these guys are protecting my attack troops, so my main concern is avoidance and damage reduction.

#3: These heroes specialize in the Agility attribute. I chose them mainly because Agility = dodge and damage. While they may not have the best defence, they do enormous damage to caster troops. If my opponent has mostly casters in their ranks, and these guys can get to them, they can be quickly dispatched by using these flying units. Mine are Archangels; they are the human flying units until level 70. Stats to work on with these heroes are attack, agility, vitality, and defence. I list all 4 of those, because sometimes you can find gems that include 2 stats. Since defence is not my primary concern, I listed it last. The more agility I can affix to the gear of these heroes, the more the troops will be able to dodge incoming attacks; thus, the need for defence is really not necissary.

As I have stated, this is how I have been doing it, and so far it has seemed to work out; for the most part. As I have not yet geared all of my heroes, the bonuses from geming is not at my disposal for them all.
Last edited by GamerFringe : 03-01-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:07 AM

Things that caught my eye
I am putting this here for things that I have found that make no sense to me, and that I feel may be important for others to be aware of.

Gold Shop:

Anyone who has played an F2P game before knows what an item shop, gold shop, etc. is. Sometimes, I catch things that make me do a double take, like the example below. While I do not buy gold, you might. So this may be worth noting:

I checked on the price of gold when I first started playing, and due to the lack of apparent value of gold in the game, I decided not to buy it. In the example I have above, I would like to point out some things that I noticed today.

Book of Astrology: Used to summon better quality heroes to the Tavern. Usable as many times as you have items. Price per book: 50 gold ($5.00)

Orange Hero Gift Pack 1: This contains a Book of Astrology, AND an Orange hero card (guarenteed to give you an Orange hero, worth it if you are buying gold). Price per package: 50 gold ($5.00)

Orange Hero Gift Pack 2: This contains 8 Book of Astrology, and 1 Orange hero card. Price per package: 500 gold ($50.00)

Okay.....honestly, I have very bad math skills...no, seriously, I do. But even I saw that first glance. 8 books....$6.25 per book (thank god for calculators). In my opinion, and I am sure some of you others out there, Orange Hero Gift Pack 2 is a total joke! Now, I shouldn't have to say anything more than that about it, but I would like to say, if you are planning to get gold, and get you an orange hero (which, as I said, if you are buying gold, I would say go for it) do yourself a favor. Buy the Orange Hero Gift Pack 1! You would be cheating yourself if you did not. Okay, not only are you getting a guarenteed Orange hero, you now have a chance at a second Orange Hero (or, possibly a Purple) by using the Book at the Tavern. If you buy the Orange Hero Gift Pack 2, you are paying more for less. You can then buy the individual Book of Astrology and save yourself $10.00 in the process.

Just thought I would point that out there.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:20 AM

Due to my inability to edit this thread, and no moderator or admin contacting me when I asked for help, I have moved this to another site. The new guide has been updated.

http://cogguide.webs.com/
Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Yeah theres a thing where you can't edit posts after a certain amount of time, generally they pick up on things pretty quick on the support forum if you ask there.