11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Groups/Guilds/Clans > Leader Support

Old 03-12-2009, 05:37 PM

Zinya is community member of note
Just Kidding! Looking for entertaining guild events?
Howdy all!
Social events are a great way to get your guild known on your server or recruit some new blood. They’re also a great way to get everyone participating and increase guild cohesion. I know many of you have ran successful guilds for literally YEARS and I would love to hear what sort of events you have done to keep it fun for everyone.

To get this started off, I’ll list some of the things we have done in the past. We play wow so a lot of the events are rather.. WoW-centric, but could probably be adapted to any game really. Here ya go!

Tabard Contest
What better way to get your guild members to really feel they have ownership in your guild than to have a guild tabard contest. We did this for our year anniversary. We’ll probably do it each guild birthday from now on. The chosen tabard designer won his design on the tabard for a year and we paid for their cold weather flying. Good stuff. Here’s how we set it up:
http://www.gamerdna.com/GuildThread.php?t=149784&f=26710

Tonk Wars
We did Tonk Wars when we were just starting out as a guild (like 15 ppl?). Engineers are able to make tonk controllers so we had one made for every person in the guild. We then all met up at a set location (somewhere with high visibility is a plus). We played three games of it and the last Tonk standing each time won a small prize. Each Tonk has like 100 uses. This was cheap and easy to do. Our engineer skilled up on tonks as well!

Drunken Kara
Uhm.. for those who have a 10 man group that are all over 21. This was really fun though I was so drunk by the time we made it to curator that I had to stop. It did make really boring farmed content fun again. Could probably be modified to work easily for Naxx. I will warn you that people will try to kill you so make sure everyone understands there will be a ton of wiping (misdirects to healers, hmm!).
Here’s the rules we had posted on our website: http://www.gamerdna.com/GuildThread.php?r=&t=49453#post

5 Man Kara races (@lvl 80)
We actually didn’t get to do this one because our server decided to blow up the day we had this planned. Still sounded like a great idea though so I’m putting it up!
Here were the rules we came up with:
http://www.gamerdna.com/GuildThread.php?t=181898&f=25985

Duel Tourny
These can be set up in many different ways. If you have a lot of different levels, you can divide people out into brackets and have a winner in each bracket (ie: 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, etc). We’ve also done drunken naked dueling but that takes a while and is very blurry. You can also turn this into team duals or everyone for them self fights using the arenas located all over (There’s one in STV and also Nagrand).

Raid a city
You pretty much need some high levels for this. If you have a lot of high levels though it makes bringing low levels much easier. I’d recommend starting off with lower level cities that don’t get a lot of visitors and working your way up to the more populated ones.

Achievements
Since WotLK came out we have been planning a lot of guild events to get achievements. The one where you kill the opposite factions leaders (and get black bear war mounts) is really good. A lot of people also like doing the vanilla wow raids (MC, ZG, BRS, BWL, AQ20/40 etc) because they have never seen that content and it seems “new.” If you’re having a hard time thinking of an event the achievements are a great place to start!

Games using Lvl 1 Pink haired Gnomes
You could do these games on your main toons as well, or choose a different race (tauren perhaps?) but something about 40 pink haired gnomes always seems to draw a crowd…

Gnome Darts
This one is really easy and quick. It goes well as an addition game to your main game. Find something tall to jump off of that will kill you (Aldor rise in Shatt, or the purple parlor in Dalaran would probably work). Have one person be the target, they jump and die first. Everyone else follows suit and the person who is the closest gets a prize. We gave people 2 tries. This one confuses onlookers a lot. Everyone should stay in their corpse and then log out and back on to their mains. Then all the little gnome corpses stay viewable. People who pass by will be commenting about the pile of dead gnomes for weeks.

Beggars can’t be Choosers
This one is best to do on alts. Gather everyone in a town on their lvl 1 pink haired gnomes (Stormwind/Ogrimmar or Dalaran work best). They have a time limit, say… 15 minutes. They have to beg (using whatever means necessary) as much money off of people in the town as possible, the person who begs the most wins a prize. This game would be pretty easy to cheat on so don’t make the prize something fabulous.
The limitations included were that you could not leave the town, could not mail money from another toon, could not transfer money through a friend, and could not tell people who you were. We had someone dubbed “The Boss” and everyone would turn their earnings into this person in order to have them counted. This person was also announcing on vent who was in the lead etc.. The money begged off others went into the guild bank instead of back to those participating to reduce the temptation to add a little of your own coinage. Although this one sounds really weird.. it was very very fun and we had people who stalked us all over the town as we begged.

Hogger Raid/ Old White Beard Raid
Defeating Hogger or Old White Beard (Dun Morogh) are great to do on level one alts. If possible, I’d recommend on trying to stay low key about the raid while in the main towns or else people will go out and camp the mobs (very annoying) or just want to help you. Still fun though and always gets lots of interest from onlookers. If someone has Recount or WWS you can give prizes for those who did the most damage, took the most damage, or got the killing blow.

Some Nice Extras at a Guild Event
Extra Tabards
Savory Deviate Delight
Booze (there’s a vendor in Dalaran that sells kegs, or you can buy it by the mug, you
can also get lots of free booze in ZG if you’re 70+(easier to swim around the fish) and it can be used by lvl 1s
Cake (also from Dalaran)
Brew Fest Kegs
Wrapping paper for prizes
Speciality items (picnic baskets, shape shifting items, crashin thrashin robots, spotlights,
that piccolo from old Strat, the train, costumes, the image of archmage whoever you get from netherstorm… basically any items that cause a scene are fun)

Hope this gives you some new ideas to try out! I would love to hear what others do to keep the party going in their guilds!
Last edited by Zinya : 03-12-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:04 AM

guido666 has much to be proud of
Great ideas, thanks.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:59 PM

DavidStrong has much to be proud of
Cool post - my friend and I were just discussing something similar- passed it on to him!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:27 PM

Zinya is community member of note
Woohoo!

Glad to hear our experiences as a guild can help others! If you're planning a guild event let us know what it is and how it went! Or if you need help planning one please ask a question in a post here.
I'm always looking for new activities for us and would love to hear what other guilds get up to for fun!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:00 AM

Katreena has set foot on a distinguished road
great ideas! thank you for sharing!

one thing we do that is immensely popular is a "live" guild bank auction. over ventrilo we auction off items that have been gathering dust in the bank. some people get nice epics for cheap and others spend too much money just trying to outbid their friend on outdated novelty items. it is a lot of fun and gets everyone active and laughing. the money raised goes straight back into the bank. you can use this money to pay for repairs, buy more tabs, or flasks/consumables for raids.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Enthusiast

Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Got any ideas we could use in City of Hereos, Flyff or Maple Story?
Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 AM

x8xid is community member of note
You could have a contest for Nexon points...

Old 05-09-2009, 04:53 AM
Enthusiast

Richie has much to be proud of
Good Advice
Old 05-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
Coming up with a prize is easy in any game, but what would you have people do in Maple Story to win that prize?

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:10 AM

Hailfire has much to be proud of
well i'm not all that familar about events as i havent done all that many. but ones that i have done for my clan on zOMG (i know a minor game) are these

treasure/Easter egg hunt
obviously i did this on easter, and because of the size of the turn out we didn't go very far at all.
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/vie...9059&is_clan=1