11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming Platforms > Nintendo (DS, GameCube, Wii)

Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast

RedLynk is a jewel in the community RedLynk is a jewel in the community
Nintendo > All?
In one of the many gaming related e-mails that fill my inbox, there was an interesting little article regarding hardware sales for January. According to the numbers for that month the Wii alone sold about the equivalent to that of PS3, Xbox 360, and PSP combined. Then when you factor in the Nintendo DS their numbers for hardware almost double and that's not even delving into all the software that goes along with it. So apparently even in this harsh economy and a supposed demand for more "mature" gaming, Nintendo still manages to pull out on top.

Now since I don't own a Wii or DS myself and haven't really had a major itch to get either, this leaves me to wonder why are these systems outstandingly more appealing than their competitors?

Any thoughts?

- RedLynk
Old 02-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast

KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community
I cant say that this is the whole answer to your inquiry, but I know for a fact that according to the marketing numbers, it is a BIG reason, but basically it revolves around the "interactive" side of Nintendos Wii.

The Wii, since day 1, has been marketed as the "get off ur butt and have some family fun" system. Parents are always against (or in a large majority of households, mostly against) kids sitting on a couch staring aimlessly into a tube with a controller in hand, or sitting in a chair plugging away at a keyboard. With the Wii, not only can kids have fun playing the games that they are used to through the Wii shop, (mario, and anything else from older Nintendo systems) but parents can join along and have what it considered bonding time with their children, up off the couch moving around.

Beyond that, the games arent necessarily the hardest thing ever played on a gaming system, making it easier for ppl of all ages to have fun. With the way the economy is these days, and the label or "board games are boring" by most children, parents have moved up with the times and bought a gaming system that everyone can enjoy without having to spend a fortune.

Im not saying that it takes away from the whole "do something productive rather than gaming" that most parents will hold strong to, but it does provide a happy medium for most parents, not only allowing them to save money on other venues of entertainments, but also providing bonding time with kids of all ages.

To me, this is what is reflected in the sales numbers, and Nintendo has done a fantastic job to market the Wii in this fashion.

Kaimera-
Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
I second Kaimera's idea. I have seen first-hand how the Wii can draw in the traditionally non-gaming crowd.

My sister's boyfriend (hopefully fiance soon. C'mon Steve! Ask her already!) picked up a Wii sometime around Thanksgiving. My sister has never been very big into gaming, and in fact has been vocally against the majority of the pastime. I remember when her boyfriend was expressing interest in getting a Wii she was very much against the idea. Fast forward to today, and in about a week or so Jez and I are going down to their house for an evening of dinner and Wii Sports. And I fully expect to have my ass handed to me by my "non-gaming" little sister. And I will love every minute of it, because she is starting to understand why this is something that I care about so much.

That being said, I do wish that more "hardcore" (i.e. non mini-game collections) games would be released for the Wii. I know another Zelda is in the works, and there's also a new Klonoa on the way, but still. The last games I played on our Wii was Super Paper Mario and Okami. I grew up playing Nintendo games and this dearth of classic gaming franchises is disenchanting, to say the least. All the same, Nintendo deserves their success, if for nothing more than to shut up all of those Sony and Microsoft fanboys. I despise fanboys.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Enthusiast

Ysgrublaidd has set foot on a distinguished road
I think it's also because the Wii and DS are "cheap". It's also small and takes up less room by the television. And most of the Wii and DS buyers don't buy a lot of games. So the Wii and DS with there low prices are more attrective for those buyers.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Enthusiast

KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysgrublaidd View Post
I think it's also because the Wii and DS are "cheap". It's also small and takes up less room by the television. And most of the Wii and DS buyers don't buy a lot of games. So the Wii and DS with there low prices are more attrective for those buyers.
Thats definitely a factor as well! I have a Wii with probably 15 games, and I find that I only end up playing about 5 of em with friends and family; but it doesnt bother me cause the cost to use ratio balances out.

Kaimera-
Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Enthusiast

koji042 has set foot on a distinguished road
I have to agree with what kaimera said. It was a combination of marketing, word of mouth, and pricing which has put Nintendo at the top for this generation.

Also, technically, the 360 Arcade is "cheaper" (before all the necessary add-ons) than the Wii now, though that still hasn't really put a dent in the Wii's sales. I think it also boils down to each systems "image." People percieve the Wii as "simple" and find the PS3 and 360 are needlessly complicated without offering the same fun factor (or at least that's how the adults I know seem to see it).

EDIT: I also forgot to mention the SKU system that both the PS3 and 360 have in place. Since there is more than one "type" of the system, people probably see the more expensive model as "the" system or are intimidated by the choice. The Wii is just one item; there is no more expensive version of it.

PS: My thoughts are really jumbled today. xD *goes back to playing Mass Effect*
Old 02-18-2009, 07:28 AM

pops40k has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to pops40k
most of what's been said before is true in the factors that's putting the Wii ahead. But another factor is also game content for both the Casual or the hardcore.

Alot of the more hardcore audience doesn't like the kinds of games the Wii tends to have, however alot also go with it as their second console, as it does have more games, even marked towards hardcore player, than the PS3 and 360 do exclusive from each other. Having a PS3 or 360 as your primary console and a Wii as your second will in general give you the most games. Or as Nintendo put it just before release, if you're everyone's second console, you're first overall.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
As Joker would say "Why so serious?"

teh rabb1t will be showing his age by saying these words, but gaming has changed a lot over it's life span. Back in the day when it was young and arcade and the Atari were king games were light, fun, fast. You could play for minutes or hours, it was totally up to you. Recently, particularly since MMOGs started appearing back in '99, they have gotten more and more "serious". They require a higher time investment to feel like you accomplished anything. They require higher knowledge of the game to be 'good at it', higher skill in order to even play it. Only very recently have the serious console makers realized this and started putting old school arcade style games on their download networks.

As people have mentioned, the Wii is really a return to the origins of gaming - being fun and not so serious. (Though they do realize they need 'more serious games' to attract the hardcore crowd, and games are starting to launch which do just that.) We haven't seen this many games targeting being fun like this in at least 15 years. (Since roughly the Playstation 1, as they started getting longer and more serious when the PS2 came out.) It's like the industry forgot the main reason for playing games was to have fun and started to add on more and more layers of 'stuff' which weren't necessarily fun for everyone.

Granted, not every Wii game is fun for everyone, but in a game to game comparison it will be far more fun to a much higher number of people than the traditional 'serious' console or PC game. Also, as mentioned, the way you control the game, via Wiimote instead of a traditional game pad, requires a different kind of physical dexterity which far more people can do.

That, coupled with the fact that it's a ton cheaper than the other systems, doesn't require a high def HDTV or reciever/sound system to get the full enjoyment out of the system (which further reduces the overall 'investment cost'), and you've got mass appeal.

As to numbers; it's been dominating ever since launch. It's never slowed down and it's been producing over a million copies per month and it's been in shortage this whole time due to the high demand.

- - -

Now, why is the DS king of hand-helds (and often outsells actual consoles), that I can't really answer. I'd only guess that world wide there is a high demand for on the go gaming and the DS has been a solid product for quite a long time. That coupled with a steady stream of known titles (such as the Pokemon series, etc.) mixed with a steady stream of unknown titles, and people's interest never really wanes.

While things like the PSP offer 'more', like MP3 and video playback, are those things that a gamer on the go really wants or needs? I know around here it certainly isn't as most people's phones do far more and do it far better. It isn't something necessary for the hand held device.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:01 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
Now, why is the DS king of hand-helds (and often outsells actual consoles), that I can't really answer. I'd only guess that world wide there is a high demand for on the go gaming and the DS has been a solid product for quite a long time. That coupled with a steady stream of known titles (such as the Pokemon series, etc.) mixed with a steady stream of unknown titles, and people's interest never really wanes.

While things like the PSP offer 'more', like MP3 and video playback, are those things that a gamer on the go really wants or needs? I know around here it certainly isn't as most people's phones do far more and do it far better. It isn't something necessary for the hand held device.
Speaking from personal experience, the DS is popular because it has a large library of great games, the cost is less than the PSP, and there is huge variety. I play mine all the time (in fact I play it more than any of my consoles) and I've gotten more than my money's worth out of the thing.

As to the PSP's other abilities, my iPhone does everything my PSP does (minus the intricate games) and does them better. Video playback is better, music quality is higher, the internet is faster, so I don't really need the PSP for those. That just leaves the games. There have been a few great games for the PSP (Crisis Core and Chains of Olympus spring readily to mind) but the ratio of good games on the PSP to good games on the DS is seriously out of whack. For me, in the end, it always comes down to games and that is why I feel the DS is beating the pants off of everybody in sales.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
While I will agree that the Nintendo systems are outselling everyone else, I don't agree that they are better than the competition. All the casual gamers that they are drawing in with their ease of use and low selling price don't realize that a good chunk of the games that they buy aren't all that decent of titles. I'm not fanboy raving for the other systems, but they aren't subject to shovelware put out by developers trying to keep the casual gamers hooked on Wii/DS(come on, playing games based on cheerleading, REALLY??). Even some of the "hardcore" games that have come out for Wii have been subject to some sloppy control schemes.