11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > The Gaming News Lounge

Old 06-27-2011, 08:17 PM

Wolfkill-Shepard is a jewel in the community Wolfkill-Shepard is a jewel in the community
Game Remakes: Good or Bad?
With the release of Ocarina of Time 3DS and the announcement of Halo Anniversary we question ourselves, "Why not just make a new Zelda?" "Who would buy a prettied up old game?" or even "Are game developers just plain being lazy?" Me being a fan of the old and new I am here to evaluate the reasons behind remakes.

When a company develops a remake of a game there are a couple of stigmas that the devs face. These stigmas can make a developer appear as if they are trying to milk out the success of a previous game or that the developer is running out of creative ideas and worry that they canít create another game and achieve the same success. Really the point of a remake is to resurrect and polish a successful old game, with the goal of pleasing fans who want to see it remastered. This is what I call the nostalgia effect, when people pay money for things that they are comfortable with and reminisce about their past experiences with the product and/or franchise.

Because this audience has had such a significant time with this game in the past the idea of a remake with just a few changes is really quite remarkable. They hope to re-achieve and relive that sense of enjoyment and fun that this old game once gave them, and really why shouldnít they? I believe that a good game is a good game and if spending money on a remake is not worth it to you than donít buy it.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 AM

darkengy has much to be proud of
Sounds okay for me to remake games, but I prefer the originals since we consider it a legend
Old 10-08-2011, 06:15 AM

A1dzM4n has much to be proud of
Personally, I think remakes are ohkay however it has to be to a certain extent. If the game was poorly done in the first place, sure go ahead remake it so that we can actually be pleased with the results and get a second chance at experiencing it. Yet if it was a huge or even minimal success in the first place then remaking it should be heavily thought over before hand, things such as current genre specifics and the age of the original game should be put into mind and considered first. A game such as Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time was remade simply because Nintendo knew for a fact that they did not have enough titles on the 3DS to launch it successfully and that if they brought back a game they KNEW 100% that everyone loved and praised as one of the best if not the best game of all time, that it would then be a huge deal for the portable gamers because to be honest it almost made me want to buy a 3DS if not for the $250 price tag, still with the small amount of original games on 3DS and most of the games worth buying being ones i already own for my N64 it's decreased $170 is too hefty. anyways if a game is old enough, say a eight bit game or a Commodore 64 game or something like that then yes, remake it in fancy new 3D graphics with a hyped up storyline and visuals so we can experiance it again, but much differently so it won't really be a remake it will be a whole overhaul with the only one same element, the storyline. I think remakes or relaunches can work and are okay, but only to a certain extent and with certain things in mind when doing so.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:50 PM

Roxas-UrBoxas has much to be proud of
When it comes to your point in the above Wolfkill, I bought Zelda 3D not only because it was a remake on a good classic - But also because it gave me a second chance to take on the infamous Master Quest as it is packaged with the game. The first time I took on Master Quest I borrowed it on gamecube from a friend, he took it back and I was just entering Ganon's Castle! Needless to say, I now have Master Quest completed and under my belt now.

Remakes are a whole new ball game if they put in some bonus content that's only come here once or twice before in the past! Think about The Metal Gear Solid collection... You get MGS 2 and MGS 3 and you also get an up-rezzed peacewalker as well. For those that love Metal Gear, but didn't own a PSP, they now have the chance to get on board with what I consider one of the greatest and most open entries in the series.

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus were remade in a set and although I played Shadow of the Colossus I had never actually heard of ICO before playing it in the HD remastered set. Quite the fantastic game I may add and over ten years old so I never would have played it if not given the opportunity.

I also seriously wonder about kids these days too. I mean, a lot of kids like my younger siblings play a lot of new games and find them easy. Introduce them to some classics and they get frustrated with difficulty. It's been a hard process for me but I've been teaching them to appreciate gaming and the humble beginings but I only own certain hard copies and old systems to show them so much... If not for Chrono Trigger being remade on DS my youngest brother would have never known such a great game...

I also want to bring up another story. My Grandpa and I are huge Final Fantasy fanatics. I've played and beaten every single one that's ever been released and obtainable to me, my Grandpa however never played Final Fantasy 5. It was remade on PS1 once, but he missed it, and just two weeks ago they re-released the PS1 version of FF5 on PSN. So I showed up at Grandpa's with PSN card in hand and he's been playing it ever since.

I believe remakes give older generations a chance to relive gaming glory days or good times they may have missed with a beloved series. I also believe that it shows younger generations some of the best and most innovative games of times long passed.

...Hopefully you have an older gamer teaching you what is worth your time and what isn't though.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:03 PM

When it comes to Capcom however, I know for a fact those guys are money-grubbing douchebags! Every damn time I invest in a fighting game by them it's re-re-re-re-released within the span of a year.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 PM

Wastelander-75 has much to be proud of
I think it all depends on who does it and what they do with it. For example, the recent Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary is getting some great reviews, and looks absolutely great. Plus they even added in a little extra something for the fans, not to mention that the game now has achievements!

On the other hand, some remakes just don't work. Bionic Commando had some great ideas, but it just didn't click when it hit in 2009. So I think it all depends on what and how you do remakes that ultimately determine if it's a good or bad idea. Me personally, I see gaming remakes like TV series remakes. While some work really well (the new Hawaii Five-0) some shouldn't ever be attempted (Knight Rider, Charlie's Angels).
Old 12-29-2011, 10:49 PM

Nothing can ever be defined as truly good or bad... We wouldn't be able to argue about it otherwise.

How about all that controversy about Squaresoft not giving the fans what they want by remaking FFVII?

I persoally think Square is right on the money not remaking it. It's a PS1 era game and remaking it would ruin the integrity of what the game originally was. No nostalgic gamer would play a reimagining of FFVII with Advent Children graphics and think to themselves "Ah man! This camera following behind me totally captures the essence of what this game used to be like with it's pre-rendered back drops and non-voice-acted text driven adventuring."

People really want to play it, they offer the damn original, go play it... Unless Square can somehow make the game the exact same as it was with the bad mini-games, twitchy characters, and interesting camera angles (at best) I really don't think they can make people happy with the expectations and the bar set so high.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:43 PM

TangledMarionette is a jewel in the community
I think that if they have the money then the arguments above are null. You see, when they're already raking it in what difference does making a small "remake" really make?

They're only catering to a larger audience, and also expanding their territory. When new technology comes out game developers tend to try to harness it in any way possible at first until it becomes the norm. You'd think so that they can expand onto something new, but those big dollar signs would blind anyone.

In my opinion the debate should be what technology is worth the time in effort. Creativity is a non existent problem. Period. Why? Well think of how much money is made off of something like a console accessory. It's pretty much the same idea in marketing for profit.

Also, look at who is actually buying the 3D games, or stocking up on all these remakes. They're either hardcore fans, or rich little farts who can't see that far into the future, and just see something shiny.

Now those who actually appreciate a "good game" will be heartbroken, buut the future is still around the corner, and what gets dished out within only a two year span is about as good as it gets. At least until the real deal pops up again.

A good game takes at least a year to develop.

EDIT: Actually I'd make that 2 years. You have to remember little things like programing, building models and "worlds", story, dialogue, etc. If it takes any longer I can't say because I don't design them. Only going off of what is practically plausible from an amateur's point of view.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
Aside from having something quick and easy to sell us, there are three major reasons for remaking an old game.

1: It renews the copyrights. If the game is still making them money, they will want to retain the rights as long as possible. Sometimes, republishing the original edition will do, but the older the game, the more likely it will have to be remade first.

2: It gives young players a chance to experience the earlier games in a long series, such as Zelda, thus increasing their interest in buying the next original game they add to the end of the series. This also works in reverse; young players who have played the later games in a series often start looking for the earlier games and these young players often account for the majority of the customers who buy the remakes.

3: In cases where the original system is no longer available, a remake is required before these older games can be sold at all. You can't just take an old, 8-bit Atari game, stamp it on a CD and sell it as a Windows game. It has to be completely re-written first.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:42 AM

HitGirl is a cornerstone of the community HitGirl is a cornerstone of the community HitGirl is a cornerstone of the community HitGirl is a cornerstone of the community
I would love a chance to see the old Darkstalkers games I keep hearing about. They'd probably have to be remade for PC or a modern console before that would happen, because almost nobody has arcade cabinets any more. Even Chuck E. Cheeze only has 5 of them, though my dad says that when he was my age, they had more like 50 of them.