11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Groups/Guilds/Clans > Leader Support

Old 10-09-2006, 05:27 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Introduction
I lead guilds. Its what I do. I can't help it really. When I log into an MMORPG I see people wanting to group, people banding together to get stuff done, people wishing someone would put it all together, so I just do. If there is a need for someone to step in organize and make stuff happen, I will just do it.

Since 2002 I have lead successful Section One guilds in AC2, SWG, WoW and Guild Wars--where I am still active. I have also lead guilds in games where we could get no traction: EQ2 and CoV come to mind. Occaisionaly I have attempted FPS guilds, thus the _rpk tag on many of my logins.

I know a lot about what works, what doesn't in terms of organizing events, recruiting, rules enforcement, forums managment, officer selection, etc. I also know somethings that definitely don't work having suffered thru two mutinies now. There is a ton I don't know and some stuff I am unwilling to do...after all guild leadership is unpaid and often thankless so there is some crap I am just not going to deal with.

I created this forum for myself and other guild leaders to talk about the aspect of gaming we either enjoy most or keep getting suckered into doing again: guild leadership.
Last edited by Roxianna : 04-11-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast

andrewjay is a cornerstone of the community andrewjay is a cornerstone of the community
Guild leader
One day on WOW, I just got sick and tired of doin pick up groups so I started my own guild with a paramilitry rank structure. The best way I found loyal members was to go out and quest with them first and earn their trust. Then if we got along I would invite them to join my guild. We dont openly recruit, because there are a lot of greedy sons a bitches out there that are haters. My guild has grown to 290 members. We have only one rule, "HELP THE GUILD" all haters will be booted!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 06:18 PM

solesaver has much to be proud of
I'm am trying to run a guild in Maplestory and have failed several times. I don't know how recruit from scratch. Most people who are willing to join my guild are a)low levels looking to mooch b)equally willing to leave my guild c)totally inactive or d)won't stay unless I make them a Jr. Master within 24 hours. I have invested a lot in the guild including expanding the in game cap, buying an emblem. I have even designed a website. I just can't seem to catch anyone's serious interest.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Enthusiast

MikesterBrau is a cornerstone of the community MikesterBrau is a cornerstone of the community
My personal experience has been that the absolute worst way to recruit in most games is to spam the open channels and I see so many new Guild Leaders doing that and then having a guild that has a life span of 3 weeks or less. Of course some experienced guilds can do this and have become expert at separating the chaff from the wheat and if you are in a game on launch day or in its first few weeks of existance this may not be a bad tactic but all in all I am with andrew j in that getting to know them a bit first is the best way to ensure a long term relationship and good fit. Also vital is planning it out before hand and having a strong sense of what you want your guild to be like before you start it. The way I ran and setup a chapter in Shadowbane was very different then how we would go about setting up an EQ2, WOW, LOTRO, or Vanguard chapter. 15 years of running a bbs gave me a great insight as to how people behave virtually and was a great help in dealing with the issue associated with running a guild. I can't emphasize enough how many headaches pre planning and organization can save you.
Also being firm on established issues and not being coerced into making folks officers is another must for the long term happyness and survival.

http://www.bardstavern.net
Old 04-26-2008, 03:32 PM

Brittaniey is a jewel in the community Brittaniey is a jewel in the community
Send a message via MSN to Brittaniey
I help begin " Crimson Shadow " a guild on Ice Crown, And since being promoted to leader. We have 127 members with only 3 inactive for a month or more.

I try to reconize new recruits that have good knowledge or a deep addiction and tend to put them on a fast track promotion lane.
These members seem to relish in the rank and are inspired to do more to prove the are all the rank defines them as, I also only promote on one day of the week, this helps eliminate the dailly requests for a promotion, it is also my policy that when a recruit registers on Guildcafe that I will promote them once immediately. ( this is the first step to establishing members who are interested in participating in the guild and those who are there for all the perks and help a good guild provides.
Although new and small, I am feeling we have found some good success in the leadership technique applied so far.
127 members 42 registered on web site. roughly 30% is fair production so far i think.
The other style i use is i am very open to suggestions either in the direction and Flavor ( if you will ) of the guild as well as leadership styles. Hence, If you have any suggestions yourself, please feel free to share them with me, I am striving to have a successful guild and any advice is appreciated.
Crimsonshadow.guildcafe.com

[URL="
Old 05-23-2008, 09:46 PM

Brittaniey is a jewel in the community Brittaniey is a jewel in the community
Send a message via MSN to Brittaniey
My update:

We now have 172 memebrs and 55 of them our guildcafe members..

[URL="
Old 05-24-2008, 06:25 AM
Enthusiast

Talen is a paragon of the community Talen is a paragon of the community Talen is a paragon of the community Talen is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Talen Send a message via Yahoo to Talen
Congratulations, Brittaniey. Well done!

Guild Wars IGN: Talen Pikunda
Symbol of Pain [FURY]: Leader
Old 05-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast

AchemsDragon is a paragon of the community AchemsDragon is a paragon of the community AchemsDragon is a paragon of the community AchemsDragon is a paragon of the community
Those that have read some of my posts know that I am still fairly new to the whole MMO structure....I started on FPS.

I never really liked the idea of being in a Clan/Guild/Group etc. It just seemed that I would be expected to be somewhere or do something at a certain time, when i might not be able to. Plus, I think some of it had to do with the first Guild ads I saw when I started going to multi-player environments. Some of them seemed too demanding, and they used threats to keep their members in line. Some were pushing you to level fast so you could help during battles.

I was new to this type of environment; the last thing I wanted was to be pushed to do something I wasn't ready to do. I was just out of the Army after all....people had been pushing me and forcing me for 8 years. For the longest time, I avoided Guilds and Clans, and even went as far as to put "Freelancer" in my character names.

When I stumbled onto Last Chaos, it was basically the same. People were always spamming about joining their Guild; some players even asked me to join theirs. They had no idea who I was, how I played, or if I would even fit in to their Guild structure.....So I started my own Guild. I ran solo for about 1 month before I heard a new player in town asking for some help. Since it was about my 3rd month, and I had some experience in the game now, I offered to help. This person seemed really cool, so over the next week, we talked when we were online. He had been in a Guild at first, but after a few days decided they weren't helping him to understand the game; so he left. His son and his friend had also been on with us during the week, and asked to join my Guild; I was a little hesitant at first....but I had been chatting with them all week, and they all seemed really cool....so I added them to my Guild.

From there, the Guild grew to our peak membership of 13 members; yes, I know....we were basically just the kindling to throw on the bonfire before the Guild Wars.....but that was fine with us. We were a Non-PvP Guild, and proud of it. There was no pressure to do anything except learn the game and enjoy yourself. We were a tight group, always willing to help eachother out with rare items we needed, or an occasional item mall item from those of us who actually bought the AP.

We never went out and spammed about joining our Guild; we let players approach us to ask.

We would have to spend time with players (usually a week) before we decided if they would mesh in with the personalitles we had in our group.

We helped out each other as well as the players within our community.

When someone learned somethng new that the rest of us didn't know, they passed it on to everyone.

We were a team, not just a group of players in a game. We all got along great, because we were selective of the people we added. There was no pressure, we were all about having fun. Getting together and trying to put our skills to use in a common attack on a boss; we had loads for fun trying and dying....

The thing I wish games had in it is a survey like what we have here....so that you would be able to group up with like minded players in the game. My Guild was active for just over 7 months; we stayed together as long as we could...but eventually the game just got too boring for everyone. They moved on to Shaiya; I couldn't migrate due to a lack of decient gaming hardware.

It is hard to find good players to add to your Guild; it is sometime even harder to find like minded players that you enjoy spending your time with. After all, this is OUR social life, gamers I mean. I would much rather spend it with a group of people I relate to, than a group I do not.

Pretty much I am running solo again, but I am always hoping that my old Guild tracks me down here, and we group back up. Until then, I suppose all I can do is hope I am sought out again by players like myself.

"BabyDragon" (Its a Girl!!!) Inbound December 2008!!!!!
My Pets
Old 07-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Enthusiast

Richie has much to be proud of
This is all awesome advice thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 06:53 AM

Klob has much to be proud of
GL
The first thing Guild Leader needs to know is what kind of guild he wants to lead. If he wants to have a powerfull, raiding guild he should prepare himself for this very carefuly.
He has to prepare website or forum at least, he needs to prepare ranks and plan how to promotion will be dealt. He needs to divide roles for officer, something like recruiter, raid planner,
web manager , tax collectors and so on. He must be prepared for ppl who will want to replace him or criticize him a lot

I lead two guilds in two different games. One is small, only friends and ppl who know each other and always willing to help each other. And second guild has ambitions to became a large and respected
guild on server. And I tell you those are two very different jobs. The first is very nice, relaxating job and second is big challenge for you managemet skills both have + and - and if you know
what do you want and have good guildmates who will help you will be nicely rewarded