11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 10-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Famous Member

Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence Delmar is bathed in a white light of excellence
Question Gamepad vs. Keyboard/Mouse in FPS
I've read about the superiority of the keyboard/mouse combo over a gamepad in FPS before, but it never applied to me as I've always played FPS on my pc.

However, now that I own an X-Box...Wow, I'm living the nightmare with Gears of War.

Maybe I'm just an old dog and this is a new trick, but I'm having major problems adjusting to the X-Box controller. The sticks are VERY sluggish and the accuracy is horrifying compared to a mouse.

I'm wondering how other long-time pc users handled this. Did anyone else have major problems adjusting or do I just have -10 dexterity?
Last edited by Delmar : 10-02-2007 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Fixing sentence structure
Old 10-02-2007, 11:19 AM

RabidCrab is community member of note
Send a message via ICQ to RabidCrab Send a message via AIM to RabidCrab Send a message via MSN to RabidCrab Send a message via Yahoo to RabidCrab Send a message via Skype™ to RabidCrab
You're not alone there

Personally, I just practiced with the controller and I got better. The trick is letting the auto-aim do most of the work, which bothers the living crap out of me because I love controlling every movement of my character.

There's no comparison to the gamepad vs the mouse when it comes to FPS
Old 10-02-2007, 12:07 PM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
I used to be console only until I saved enough money to buy a computer. I played Halo and Halo 2 a lot, and was very decent with the controller. However, once I switched over to mouse and keyboard, it's a lot easier to do. But there are some people who are really good with the controller. I guess it just depends on which one you use more.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Enthusiast

Kuranes is bathed in a white light of excellence Kuranes is bathed in a white light of excellence Kuranes is bathed in a white light of excellence Kuranes is bathed in a white light of excellence Kuranes is bathed in a white light of excellence Kuranes is bathed in a white light of excellence
If it is an option people with controllers should disable auto-aim and see how futile a project FPS on consoles really are!
Old 10-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast

Golanth is a jewel in the community Golanth is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Golanth Send a message via Yahoo to Golanth
consoles controllers sucketh give me a good keyboard and mouse or a good stick
Old 10-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Controllers are inferior! As for how I adapt, I've played console games since I was 3, and got my first PC when I was 10, so I can use both!
Old 10-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Famous Member

DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community
Reminds me when I was playing GoldenEye, Medal of Honor, and Syphon Filter... takes time to aim, especially for the head, but I got used to it. Though I prefer a mouse to aim at most.

Phantasyrpg.com
Good ticked based game, easy to play and get engrossed.

http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Darth_Sirov
Kongregate - One of the best place to look for good Flash Games

www.disputedgalaxy.com
Best Flash Space Shooter Game
Old 10-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Enthusiast

Golanth is a jewel in the community Golanth is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Golanth Send a message via Yahoo to Golanth
hmm original battletech for the pc that was intense
Old 10-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
I originally bought a 360 for GoW and never regretted it because the single-player was solid. That is until a PC version was announced and now I'm sort of pissed. I'm gonna laugh if they link the two versions over live and 360 fanboi's start crying about how much the PC guys own them.

It's not even a competition between the two really, as the controller loses in every aspect.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 10-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
Mouse and keyboard > controllers for fps.

But that's not to say controllers completely suck, just the people playing them. When I have friends over who're not used to controllers it's the best thing ever. It takes time and practice to get used to, like most things. If GoW goes multiplatform I'll quit. Actually I already quit... But that's besides the point. Consoles and PC users should remain seperated. Don't get me wrong, I think that a lot of GoW games will still be won by 360 players, but the agility that a mouse offered doesn't compare.