11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 12-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
Game of the Decennium

Ten years people! Ten years of gaming have come and gone. Just like that! As the real world went to shit with, we kept on grinding away, saving the princess, capturing those flags, fighting unspeakable evils, solving puzzles and saving the day...

What were the biggest surprises, the biggest letdowns. What game has turned into a classic that you'll still be playing 10 years from now... Which villain was the hardest to beat, and what hero was the most badass? What story was the most intruiging? Which company surprised you, and which company turned into shit... Which were the innovative ones, the ones that will a big mark on the way we think about gaming, that have reshaped worn out genres. What has become your favourite franchise, and what franchise would you like to see more of?

Also

Which MMO, was the best of this decennium?

But more importantly...

Which game, was the best game of the decennium?

Ten years is a long time! So here's some notable games that have won awards, or not, since their release;

The Sims, Serious Sam, Chrono Cross, GTA (III, VC, SA, IV), Zelda; The windwaker, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, Gears of War, Super Mario Galaxy, Majora's Mask, Fallout 3, Halo: Combat Evolved, BF1942, KOTOR, Half Life 2, God of War, Okami, Elder Scrolls III & IV, Fable, Guitar Hero, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, FIFA, BF2, Mario Kart Wii, Uncharted, Shadow of the Colossus, Pokémon Gold/silver/crystal, Paper Mario, Xenosaga, Civilization 3, SOCOM II, Timesplitters 2, Bioshock, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Killzone, Kingdom Hearts, ICO, Jak II, Phoenix Wright, Diablo II, Rome Total War, Max Payne, Age of Mythology, Warcraft 3 etc.

Then there's the MMO's! Star Wars Galaxies, Aion, Everquest 2, World of Warcraft, Ragnarok Online, EVE, Lineage 2, Darkfall, Anarchy Online, Age of Conan, City of Heroes, Champions Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Entropia, FFXI, LOTRO, Warhammer...

Obviously, there are many... many... many more games that released, too many for me too look up and list, so i'll keep it at this. It is obvious that WoW is considered to be the most successful MMO of the last 10 years, but that doesn't mean you have to agree of course

Old 12-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Well. . .

You got all my games down so I got nothing to say Dem

NICE GAMES!

Old 12-08-2009, 02:19 AM

Rolandicus has much to be proud of
Bioshock gets my vote.One of my favorite games ever.

I don't play MMOs so I have no opinion really,though I watch a friend play EVE on occassion and I think that's a good one.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:02 PM

Niteraid has set foot on a distinguished road
Such a hard question really. So many great games have been released in that past 10 years. I may take some time to really look over some and give this some serious thought.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
What were the biggest surprises, the biggest letdowns.
WoW was probably the biggest surprise for me, prior to that game I certainly didn't expect an MMO to grow so large, so quickly, and especially not in the market that it did. Before WoW I felt like the only Swede who knew what an MMO was, now everyone has tried one.

Letdowns? Well SWG, which at the time was as close to my dream game as any game has ever been, turning into a steaming pile of giraffe shit is number one on that list.

After that I'd have to list every other MMO that I've tried since then, minus WoW and EVE.

What game has turned into a classic that you'll still be playing 10 years from now...
World ends in 2012, this category fails.

Which villain was the hardest to beat, and what hero was the most badass?
Toughest villain: The fencer Chongo on Bloodfin (SWG).
Badass hero: Snake.

What story was the most intruiging?
The Metal Gear "saga", if you can call it that, did it for me. While Final Fantasy 10 didn't have a very "intruiging" story (I mean, save the world, again? It's not exactly something that keeps you on your toes) it did have the best storytelling.

Which company surprised you, and which company turned into shit...
SoE, they surprised me by turning gold into garbage, thus turning themselves into shit. They've gobbled up every failgame in the MMO genre post-SWG.

Which were the innovative ones, the ones that will a big mark on the way we think about gaming, that have reshaped worn out genres.
I'd have to say ICO, The Sims, and WoW are the top three in that category. ICO showed that games don't really need action. The Sims showed that games can be for everyone. WoW showed that people are drooling drones that can't stop chasing the carrot.

What has become your favourite franchise, and what franchise would you like to see more of?

I'm a big fan of RPGs, so obviously every single Bioware game qualifies here, Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights, KotOR. But the one that I've liked the most of all these has to be Mass Effect,

But honestly? I'd like to see another FF10, no singleplayer game comes close to moving me the way that one did.

Which MMO, was the best of this decennium?
I would have to say EVE tbh, despite the fact that it's so very niche oriented it's still far more polished for it's audience than WoW and it's expansions have been. As for success? Yeah, WoW comes first there, no doubt.

I guess it depends on how you define best? I've never had as much fun (As sad as it may seem) in my life as I did during SWG's golden age, for me that game and the community that we had going would qualify as "best". It had the best mechanics, atmosphere, IP, etc...

Which game, was the best game of the decennium?

Final Fantasy 10.

Now, this is without really giving it alot of thought, 10 years is a long time and forgetting is easy.