11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 11-15-2009, 03:13 PM

MrODoyle is community member of note
Send a message via AIM to MrODoyle
CoD:Modern Warfare 2 Disappointment...
In trying to keep from spoiling anything for those who don't like to be spoiled, before you even start the single-player game of Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Infinity Ward asks you a question. It says, and I'm paraphrasing: "One of the levels in Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has some material that may be considered very objectionable to some players. Would you like to be asked to skip this level before it starts?" If you choose "No," it says, again I paraphrase: "Are you sure? We ain't gonna ask you again, and it's some fucked up shit." I told myself, after making my choice, that I wish I had chosen the option to be warned, only so I could know which level it was. Needless to say, when the level came, I knew what it was. And it was disturbing.
When I purchased the game, the friendly GameStop Soulsucker, I mean employee, kind of breezed over the fact that I was an adult. There have been times when I've bought M rated games and the employees have asked me if I was buying the game for a child, warning that it might be a little graphic, or violent. That didn't happen this time, but I'd like to think that it did happen at some Gamestop, somewhere.
When I got into the first player action, it was actually very helpful to hear some of my NPC cohorts say things like "Roach, target at your 10 o'clock." And then I would turn to my 10 o'clock and sure enough, there would be an enemy for me to slay. Putting all these elements together, I was certain that, once I got into the multiplayer campaign, there would be a bunch of adult players, with their headsets on, communicating concisely, as the team moved through the maps, and I would hear things like "Watch my six! Cover Me!" or "On your left! Behind you! He went in that door!"

So, of course you can imagine my dismay when I turned on my headset, only to hear a 10-year old white boy (or a 16-year old white girl) saying, and this time I'm NOT paraphrasing "Man, fuck these niggers. You niggers are dumb. I hate niggers."

It's really a shame that in a game that's being touted as a "tactical shooter," a guy can't find 10 or 11 other guys (or girls) to use tactics to make the game as realistic as possible. I don't know what else to say, the more I think about it, the more disgusted I get.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
Bad man didn't warn you about the scary pictures in the videogame and now you have booboo?

I loved that scene.
Last edited by Dem : 11-15-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Wait, you expected people on the internet to act as they do in RL? I thought everyone knew that this is where you come to be yourself.

Were you also complaining about the violence in a game that has the word "Warfare" in the title?

You must live a very sheltered life, I mean what were you expecting?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
You must live a very sheltered life, I mean what were you expecting?
Blatantly he thought people would roleplay in an fps:

"Tango on your six!"
"Target eliminated"
"Back Alley, CLEAR!"
"Stay frosty, watch your sector"

"This is Charlie Actual, come in Overlord"
"This is Overlord, reading you loud and clear Charlie"
"Charlie Actual. Interrogative: Are we supposed to capture the flag?"
"That's affirmative, I need you to capture the flag and return it to base"
"Solid copy, Charlie actual out"
"Overlord copies, out"
Old 11-15-2009, 11:36 PM

NotU is a jewel in the community
Guys, his complaint was about people making stupid, racist comments in the game instead of actually giving any information that might be useful. No where did he say he was expecting people to use full military terminology. He just said it would be nice to hear 'cover me', or 'on your left' rather than a string of racial epitaphs.

My Website

Old 11-16-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotU View Post
Guys, his complaint was about people making stupid, racist comments in the game instead of actually giving any information that might be useful.
Thank you, I'm glad somebody actually got it.

My original mention of the violence was a reference to the fact that this is a game that is CLEARLY targeted toward adults, that MOST retailers try to go the extra mile to make sure that no children are exposed to such graphic, blatant violence, and it upsets me that the ONLY ones I hear throwing out racial, homophobic hate speech are the 8 - 10 year olds who probably shouldn't be playing this game.

But, thank you for reminding me why I keep my mouth shut most of the time.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrODoyle View Post
My original mention of the violence was a reference to the fact that this is a game that is CLEARLY targeted toward adults, that MOST retailers try to go the extra mile to make sure that no children are exposed to such graphic, blatant violence, and it upsets me that the ONLY ones I hear throwing out racial, homophobic hate speech are the 8 - 10 year olds who probably shouldn't be playing this game.
Yeah well, welcome to the Internet. This is how it is, has been for a while, and is likely to remain until the day people stop being retarded.

I really don't get why this would be a part of what makes you disappointed in the game, unless it's your first time interacting with other people online. People are asshats, that's not CoD's fault.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
I really don't get why this would be a part of what makes you disappointed in the game, unless it's your first time interacting with other people online. People are asshats, that's not CoD's fault.

I guess I'm really not disappointed with the game, more the caliber of people playing it.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:59 AM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
Yeah...you buy an adult game, you'd think other adults will be playing it. Instead you get a bunch of kids whose parents bought the game just to shut their kid up.

I didn't find the airport level too disturbing as there was really no gameplay to it and there was a complete lack of emotion - they just strolled through. The idea of a bunch of Russians pretending to be Americans in a Russian airport seemed a bit of a stretch. IMHO, bad writing.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Easy Breezy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeZzy View Post
Yeah...you buy an adult game, you'd think other adults will be playing it. Instead you get a bunch of kids whose parents bought the game just to shut their kid up.

I didn't find the airport level too disturbing as there was really no gameplay to it and there was a complete lack of emotion - they just strolled through. The idea of a bunch of Russians pretending to be Americans in a Russian airport seemed a bit of a stretch. IMHO, bad writing.
To continue with spoilers:

I think the whole story is rather ridiculous. Russia attacking America? REALLY? Come on, what year is it?