11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

Old 04-28-2009, 05:17 AM

dagamdagee is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to dagamdagee Send a message via MSN to dagamdagee
Exclamation Scariest Moment In A Game
So I've started playing Silent Hill: Homecoming (Thanks Best Buy) and one of my favorite topics popped into my head.

What's the scariest moment/experience you've ever had while playing a videogame?

Mine would have to be a section in Silent Hill in the school's locker room. I remember hearing a cat meowing a lot so when you open the locker and a cat jumps out. Then when you're on the dark side, you go to the same room, open the locker and there's a ton of blood inside. While walking away from it a body drops out of one of the bigger lockers.

Sure, that is more or less an arbitrary "pop out" scare, but seriously, when you're 12 years old, SH can be scary as death itself. I remember playing with a friend of mine when that happened and we both screamed like little girls, then we looked at each other and started laughing very nervously.

Just like the Ghosts.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:39 AM

snafu7 is community member of note
I don't generally play horror games, but a few years back I tried out Doom 3 and to me the entire experience was absolutely terrifying. The lack of lighting, and demons from hell is just a really bad combination. Never was able to finish that game, probably only played for an hour or two.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Enthusiast

Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community
Send a message via MSN to Doctorzongo Send a message via Yahoo to Doctorzongo
Goombas, most definitely. Your just hopping happily on your way and then ... HORY CLAP! WHAT IS THAT THING!?

I mean, look at it. It's the bringer of death, the destroyer of dreams. I kept waking up screaming for a few weeks after I first played Mario.

On a serious note, I don't play horror games. But if you're the jumpy type, seeing a dretch fly out of a tunnel and bite you in the head in Tremulous can be pretty intense. Basilisk's, too. Although, the first time I got stuck by a basilisk I thought I had run into a bug, and asked someone to kill me. I was serviced quickly.
The subjected discovered
That sadly the cake was a lie.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
This wasn't necessarily the scariest, but definitely unexpected. When playing the school level of Condemned and the guy stuffed in the locker that you're pretty certain is dead, suddenly grabs your character.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast

arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community
For me, it was the hotel in Vampire: Bloodlines. *laughs* Of course, my husband and I were being silly and playing at night, with all the lights turned off and no other sound in the house. So, when you start hearing bizarre things and you catch glimpses of things moving out of the corner of your eye....creepy!
Old 04-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community
I'm sure it was one of the many moments in Bioshock where you're forced to walk facing into a corner and then there's a flash of light and another shadow cast on the wall you're facing. Then you turn to look and there's nothing. Yeah, Bioshock is full of moments like that.

But in the non-horror genre I would say one of the scariest things I've ever encountered in a game is in...Metroid Fusion? I think that's the one, for the Game Boy Advance, whenever the music would suddenly shut off and Samus-X would enter the room. And when that happens you know that you better run like bejeezus or find a place to hide or your ass is grass, blanco nino. I know there's some terrible sentance structure there, but just thinkin about that nega-Samus really weirds my stuff out.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:07 PM

jimpower has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shademonger View Post
I'm sure it was one of the many moments in Bioshock where you're forced to walk facing into a corner and then there's a flash of light and another shadow cast on the wall you're facing. Then you turn to look and there's nothing. Yeah, Bioshock is full of moments like that.

But in the non-horror genre I would say one of the scariest things I've ever encountered in a game is in...Metroid Fusion? I think that's the one, for the Game Boy Advance, whenever the music would suddenly shut off and Samus-X would enter the room. And when that happens you know that you better run like bejeezus or find a place to hide or your ass is grass, blanco nino. I know there's some terrible sentance structure there, but just thinkin about that nega-Samus really weirds my stuff out.
I have to agree with you on Samus-X. I remember parts where you would have to be a platform over or under Samus-X and just be saying "oh ****, oh ****, oh ****" Amazing how I can feel so much tension on a handheld platform. Games are games reguardless and they don't have to be in 1080p HD 7.1 DDS to immerse you!

I have way too many memorable scary moments to name so can I name most? Okay great!

Condemned: Getting lost in the mall with the manikins while the criminals run behind them tricking you into thinking they were alive.

BioShock: This is more comical because it scared the ish out of my girlfriend and I. I was backtracking an area of the map looking for audio diaries and such and at the moment I was crouching for some reason. I had not heard any splicers running around until I turned around a splicer was just standing there looming over me so all I could see was the silent torso of a corrupted man. The weird thing about this encounter is that the splicer didn't say anything or attack me right away, it just stood there. And because it caught me off guard so fast my girlfriend screamed and I yelled out "Jesus Christ!"

Dead Space: For the first half of the game I felt terrified roaming the corridors of the ship but after some of that novelty wore off EA managed to get me again near the end. A new breed of necromorph manages to introduces itself towards the second to last chapter or so and one thing I can say is that one second they're there and the other second well...let's just say you won't be able to shoot your gun fast enough to react.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast

Thund3rball is a jewel in the community Thund3rball is a jewel in the community
Bioshock: The doctor who appears behind you out of nowhere in the dental area. You turn around after picking up an item and *WHAM* he's just standing there, RIGHT behind you breathing heavily and holding a wrench above your head. I just about sh*t my pants lol.

FEAR 2: Playing the demo I jumped out of my seat the first time Alma grabs you in the movie theatre.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:15 PM

Kethar has much to be proud of
I remember when I was in junior high playing Resident Evil 2. It was about 3 in the morning, no lights, no sounds, and I lived out in the middle of the country, so no light outside either and lots of nature-y noises.

It was in one of the back alley areas where you're walking along and HOLY SHIT! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! pop out of nowhere and started charging you down.

Yeah, I screamed like a little bitch. My mom thought I was really hurt or something. My dad made fun of me for a week. :/
Old 04-28-2009, 08:28 PM

royrules22 has much to be proud of
Ooh quite a bunch but by far Eternal Darkness. The entire damn game!