11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 10-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
Modern Warfare 2 PC - Is PC Gaming Dying?
One of the biggest PC releases of the year and they suddenly disclose a console-like online system which does not improve the experience to PC gamers but instead creates a console-like system inwhich they can milk users of their money with costly downloadable addons.

http://www.wegame.com/watch/CoD-MW2-...ern-Warfare-2/
Old 10-26-2009, 07:06 AM

XavierThirtyTwo is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to XavierThirtyTwo Send a message via MSN to XavierThirtyTwo
I don't believe their intent was to create a system for DLC for PC. I'm pretty sure they want to force the matchmaking system onto PC so that players always find RANDOM matches with other players in their skill rank.

That being said, this is a terrible idea for PC. Dedicated servers are the shit, and server lists are wonderful. Random matches on PC with hosted games? WTF.

Once again, Activision is slowly doing everything it can to kill gaming in general.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
Shooters on consoles, I find it incredibly odd. And yet I find myself pre-ordering MW2 for the X360...

I have no idea why th fuck they're changing this system on the PC, PC multiplayer is better due to dedicated servers... No clue why they removed this. As to whether PC gaming is dying. Not a chance, if anything it's becoming more popular again due to the fact the consoles are beginning to show signs of age... Plus there's no real MMO's out yet, so there's that.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:31 PM

Tonysmallz has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem View Post
Shooters on consoles, I find it incredibly odd. And yet I find myself pre-ordering MW2 for the X360...

I have no idea why th fuck they're changing this system on the PC, PC multiplayer is better due to dedicated servers... No clue why they removed this. As to whether PC gaming is dying. Not a chance, if anything it's becoming more popular again due to the fact the consoles are beginning to show signs of age... Plus there's no real MMO's out yet, so there's that.

a man with a pic of brother beat should not own a 360...............that is all..thank you

GT : Jim Greezy
Old 11-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierThirtyTwo View Post
I don't believe their intent was to create a system for DLC for PC. I'm pretty sure they want to force the matchmaking system onto PC so that players always find RANDOM matches with other players in their skill rank.
Read this... http://www.geeks.co.uk/7282-activisi...heap-games-you . This is the CEO of Activision Blizzard in a recent speech. Activision controls the CoD license. The timing coincides with IW's announcement. You tell me that after reading that you still believe IW wanted to give PC players a better matchmaking experience.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:53 PM

XavierThirtyTwo is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to XavierThirtyTwo Send a message via MSN to XavierThirtyTwo
I never said 'better.' Your talking to someone who HATES Activision, and who used to work for them. I know how vile the company's practices are.

And yes, PC gaming is dying. It has been for years. Think about it like this: How many people that own a current gen console pirate games? Not very many, because not many people who own a console KNOW how to play pirated games.

How many people that PC game pirate their games? Well, as John Carmack put it, the guy that spends $500 on a video card in order to play the newest games is the same guy that knows how to run a torrent. PC gaming is slowly dying because console gaming is simply more profitable. Would you rather sell your simple game on PSN and XBL and get a percentage of sales, but a guaranteed percentage of sales, or have your game pirated 80% more than it's purchased on PC like World of Goo did? Think about that from the giant corporation's point of view with their next multi-million dollar title.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
And yes, PC gaming is dying. It has been for years. Think about it like this: How many people that own a current gen console pirate games? Not very many, because not many people who own a console KNOW how to play pirated games.

How many people that PC game pirate their games? Well, as John Carmack put it, the guy that spends $500 on a video card in order to play the newest games is the same guy that knows how to run a torrent. PC gaming is slowly dying because console gaming is simply more profitable. Would you rather sell your simple game on PSN and XBL and get a percentage of sales, but a guaranteed percentage of sales, or have your game pirated 80% more than it's purchased on PC like World of Goo did? Think about that from the giant corporation's point of view with their next multi-million dollar title.
Sadly, I agree with you, since some of my favorite games were some of the best PC games to come out. There is also the fact that console gaming has become a cheaper way to game, since with a console the average gamer doesn't have to upgrade the current console to play the newest games; he/she only upgrades when the newest generation of consoles is released and not always on the day the new console is launched.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
I'd suspect its down to a number of factors, the main one being hardware. When making a game for PC's many developers try to make use of the latest features available to a generation of GPU's and High spec processors, whilst making a game for consoles you only have to work with a set technology base.

For years, PC tech led the way, pushing performance and the idustry forwards. Someone makes a GPU with some new gizmo attached, a developer makes a game that can use it. A developer says they need so many pixels to make a game work (or to one-upsmanship another developer) a GPU firm will make that happen. Same goes for processors, sounds cards, netowrking, you name it.

Okay, the games industry isn't the only one pushing for all this, but it is the one that will generate the most interest and (more importantly) initial revenue when 100's of people shell out top dollar for the latest tech (which may or may not work right just yet, but send us an e-mail with the bug report and we'll get right on it).

Right now we have a cash flow problem, we can't all afford to shell out for the latest toys, so we're not going to be able to play the next generation of games just yet... which is fine, because the dev's don't have the cash to make them. So we compromise. They do a half arsed job making them, we pay for it and get pissed when the game is too short, and we get told all the magic (and value for money) is in the multiplayer.

Sound like a few games over the last few years?

This is how its going, how it has been going for some time, and more than likely how it WILL go from now on. Take a look at all the blurb for Fable 3 to know just how screwed we can get.

MW2 not geting dedicated PC servers is a pisser, but then I'd want it as an MMO anyway, with large expansive lands, the option for aircraft battles, multiple factions, offshore artillery support and every building painstakingly created so that you can enter each and every one and have a true urban warfare enviroment.

Besides, give it a year it'll be in the 20 bargain bin for whatever platform you want and I'll care just as much then as I do now.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, as John Carmack put it, the guy that spends $500 on a video card in order to play the newest games is the same guy that knows how to run a torrent.
I wish John Carmark would just stfu. He's been crying about piracy since the 1990's yet his company wouldn't be where it is without PC gamers.

What makes me laugh about the whole piracy argument is the number of XBox 360 releases you can download off of bittorrent sites. Maybe when John Carmack sees "Rage" get pirated he will start his new war against the optical disc format. Maybe John Carmack wants us to go back to the Nintendo ROM Cart system?