11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you buy an "All Digital Video Game Console"?
Yes 6 33.33%
No 12 66.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2009, 12:42 PM

NotU is a jewel in the community
The only way I would ever go to all digital only is if that was the only option there was, and possibly not even then. My friends and I still borrow games from each other, and I have had both my 360 (twice) and my PS3 (once) die on me. Yes, most digital distribution is backed up, so all I would have to do is redownload it, but that is still time that I could use to actually play the game.

My Website

Old 11-05-2009, 10:06 PM

CarlitX has much to be proud of
I would say NO. Simply because I like having a hard copy of my games. thus making them always accessible to me. I think the closest the gaming industry should come to this is stuff like XBL's games on demand, DLC and stuff like the XBL Arcade.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:21 PM

xoaks has much to be proud of
Where's my "I already have" option?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Enthusiast

TamaraLane is a cornerstone of the community TamaraLane is a cornerstone of the community TamaraLane is a cornerstone of the community
There was a time I would have said no, but that was before I bought Factions online. I type in the code & started playing it, as I glanced over at the Prophecies Disc on my shelf in it's nice big Video Cassette sized box, where it had sat since I installed it, punched in the code & then waited for the downloads. I thought "I won't have a Factions box sitting there now" Of course the other advantages would need to be present, my game progress is all on Anets servers, no more worrying about backing that up. If I get on my BF's comp to play my toons are all there, right as I left them. If I'm at my friends house & want to play, hell, I can even download the client & play. if I want to quit playing for a while no problem my progress is saved w/o me having to worry about it.

I'm more interested in access. I love Netflix, and it has inspired me to ditch most of my own video library. If i want a movie at most I have to wait a week, at least its on demand. If there was a service for music like LaLa maybe, (haven't checked this out yet) but where i could listen to my music anytime, anywhere I would be game!

Same goes for a digital game system, If i could go to my friends & play one of my games on their system right then by logging on or whatever, w/o having to bring my disc.... Win!

To me for such a thing to work it's about access. That's what I want is access to my stuff. If i don't need a physical disc to have it, and it's not taking up space in my house, all the better. You get the access and services part right & it will fly.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast

Bonemane is a jewel in the community Bonemane is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Bonemane Send a message via MSN to Bonemane Send a message via Yahoo to Bonemane Send a message via Skype™ to Bonemane
Only for handheld consoles like the PSP or DS. Everyone knows the pain of having to pick and choose what games you bring with you.

The system will never work because like someone said...pirates. If everything went digital it would be so easy to pirate all the games.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:35 AM

whiskeyhicks has much to be proud of
To be honest I only really support an all digital portable game device. Those Nintendo DS Cards are a pain in the ass to keep track of and I lose them all the time.

However an all digital console would need a number of things to sell me on it. Such as the right to download, install, and uninstall whenever I feel like it (...like Steam), and a lower price tag (since discs, manuals, and boxes are no longer manufactured). However I admit that having the ability to switch out games with a single disc, gauging how many games you have by how much space it takes up, and being able to physically trade games with other people is a luxury that would require coercion for me to lose.

Adding on to the piracy discussion I will say this; as long as there's a man willing to make less money for work he didn't do and a man willing to pay less for something he wants there will always be pirates.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Enthusiast

Bonemane is a jewel in the community Bonemane is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Bonemane Send a message via MSN to Bonemane Send a message via Yahoo to Bonemane Send a message via Skype™ to Bonemane
I would like to add that also I don't think there's anyway to fix psp games once they get so scratched they become unplayable. Its a total pain.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:43 PM
More Famous Than Human

TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence
I have always, and will continue to prefer a physical copy. Games, music, anything as opposed to a digital copy.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:38 PM

exaes is a cornerstone of the community exaes is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem View Post
Mediamarkt asked me about Halo, Free record shop tried to convince me that Diablo 2 is not an existing game. And I've had several of these WEIRD questions and people.
OMG the exact same thing happend to me once at a local Free record shop in my case it was for neverwinter nights.

now to get back on topic. I'm not sure if i would buy an all digital console, I buy a lot of games on steam or psn store but i buy and equal amount on discs too. i really wouldn't mind an all digital console if they could assure me that if they stop supporting the console or go out of busniness i can still download and play may games or something else cause it would suck to loose everything .

- Playstationcollecting.com .. The online Playstation Collecting Community
Old 12-06-2009, 09:24 PM

Rolandicus has much to be proud of
I say no way, and for several reasons.
1.I prefer to own physicsl copies.
2.Storage space will eventually become an issue, because whomever makes said console will try to get people,just like M$,and force memory upgrades on people.
3.High speed internet access is an issue where I live.

Anyway, I don't see something like this until everyone has high-speed access,and there are alot of places still without.